Italian Cars and Coffee - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Italian Cars and Coffee

Went to Italian Cars and Coffee this morning, hosted monthly by the Maserati / Bentley / Rolls Royce dealer.

Lots of Ferraris, several Lamborghinis, a few Maseratis, an Alfa, a Fiat 500 Abarth, a bunch of Ducatis, and one Aprilia. No MV's.

A one-week old Lamborghini Aventador

Retractable glass panels over Aventador engine.

Check out that 458's license plate!

This guy has nine nice cars, each with a license plate named "1 of 9", "2 of 9", ... yes, a bit pretentious. Here are three of the nine including a M-B SLR McLaren - not exactly Italian, but nice.

My favorite 458 there

A Scuderia Spider 16M

More

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
And last but certainly not least: my Ducati Monster 1000S

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 02:07 PM

New Site Garage
Saw the Aventador roadster reviewed on a car programme last week and they said for all that money it's not great that to put the roof up you have to stop, get out, open the bonnet and put the roof panels in yourself, 458 Spyder owners must find that most amusing

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Big Randaddy

What's wrong with me? With the possible exception of your Ducati, nothing in any of those shots appealed to me.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:56 PM

That 458 is sweet!

They are all great....too bad none of them have a proper transmission. (well except for your Monster)

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:12 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike View Post
That 458 is sweet!

They are all great....too bad none of them have a proper transmission. (well except for your Monster)
That may be why I'm not that excited. I know all those DCT transmissions are great for performance, but I prefer 3 pedals.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
That may be why I'm not that excited. I know all those DCT transmissions are great for performance, but I prefer 3 pedals.
Randy, I agree 100%!

Those DCT transmissions might be quicker, but they are not as fun!

There is a great article on manual transmissions in the latest issue of Road & Track. His point was that although there are less manual transmissions overall.....driving enthusiasts still prefer them. For all sporty cars where a manual is available, the majority of people still pick the manual. They are just not offered in boring cars anymore.

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike View Post
For all sporty cars where a manual is available, the majority of people still pick the manual. They are just not offered in boring cars anymore.
Alas Mike, I think you're wrong there. I've just ordered a new 911 with the manual trans having been told that 60-70% are ordered with the PDK tranny. Same is true in the Corvette, M spec BMWs, etc.

Unfortunately, I think demographics, actual performance, and much heavier traffic conditions have conspired to nail the coffin shut on clutch pedals. Demographics: today's 20 somethings have never driven a Tremec 6 speed, much less a Rock Crusher or a Top Loader. So, when they earn the cheese to buy a M5, they default to the DCT. Actual performance: we already know that the super high performance dual clutch automatics shift way better and faster than anyone not named Ronnie Sox. Traffic conditions: most metropolitan commuting traffic is much heavier today than 30 years ago. In Atlanta (one of the worst in the US), a 30 mile commute is guaranteed to take more than an hour on average, resulting in languishing on the Interstate at 20 mph. Including me, who wants to bother with a clutch in that traffic?

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 PM

New Site Garage
Nice pictures. Sorry Randy. I love that Aventador. Color is nice but not my first choice.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Alas Mike, I think you're wrong there. I've just ordered a new 911 with the manual trans having been told that 60-70% are ordered with the PDK tranny. Same is true in the Corvette, M spec BMWs, etc.

Unfortunately, I think demographics, actual performance, and much heavier traffic conditions have conspired to nail the coffin shut on clutch pedals. Demographics: today's 20 somethings have never driven a Tremec 6 speed, much less a Rock Crusher or a Top Loader. So, when they earn the cheese to buy a M5, they default to the DCT. Actual performance: we already know that the super high performance dual clutch automatics shift way better and faster than anyone not named Ronnie Sox. Traffic conditions: most metropolitan commuting traffic is much heavier today than 30 years ago. In Atlanta (one of the worst in the US), a 30 mile commute is guaranteed to take more than an hour on average, resulting in languishing on the Interstate at 20 mph. Including me, who wants to bother with a clutch in that traffic?
Randy, I see your points, but we are still in disagreement. I wouldn't call a lot of the buyers of high dollar performance cars such as BMW M5s, Corvettes, and Porsche 911s, "enthusiasts". A lot of people buy these cars more for status (excluding yourself). In the R&D article, a couple of the examples he used were the Volkswagon GTi and the Subaru BRZ/ Scion FR-S twins. The DSG was introduced in the GTi in 2006, and the percentage of buyers opting for the manual transmission (around 50%) has stayed the same since then. 70% of the BRZ/FR-S buyers opt for the manual transmission (keep in mind, these are younger buyers). Subaru is offering an automatic transmission for the WRX in 2015....but they predict 80% will still get the 6-speed manual. I think I've mentioned this before, but my Ford Focus ST was not even available with an automatic. A lot of people still care more about fun than convenience. Even if I lived in a congested area like Atlanta (Lord knows Springfield is bad enough!), I'd still opt for a manual transmission.

BTW the R&D article is titled "Math: What's Really Killing the Manual Transmission" by Jason Cammisa, and it is in the March/April 2014 issue. Check it out. Some very good points.

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916

Last edited by SportBikeMike; 03-16-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode