My New Ride - 1966 Lincoln Continental with Suicide Doors - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

Wink My New Ride - 1966 Lincoln Continental with Suicide Doors

I went to Bathurst (in the country for our o/seas friends) two weeks ago and picked up this 350 - two owner - second owner 82 yo old guy, loveliest man that I ever met in my life, he had it for 35 years and it had 8200 klms on clock perfectly original. it wasn't running as the ignition system had died.

I happened to have a complete Powerdynamo electronic conversion ignition sitting on my bench top in my garage (which may not surprise some people here that know me ) So I drove out there and collected it _ I can't help myself - btw ignition is now in, tuned carbs & it is running like a peach!

But interestingly I see this in his shed :

Australian delivered right hand drive - two owner from new 1966 - 70K miles and looks like a museum piece - never restored, simply kept like a treasured and precious possession and adored.

I ask the old guy whether it was something he'd consider selling, I told him honestly it was not my usual style or car, but I have an almost uncontrollable attraction to old, original things that are treated and kept in exceptional ways. He tells me that it has not been registered for two years, but he starts it every month and just enjoys the sounds and happiest memories of life that revolved around this car. He said he had left to his daughter in his will and eventually it would go to her - I said to him to discuss it with the family, and get back to me if they decided they wanted to cash in on it now and maybe use the money.

Anyhow a week later I get a call & it is go.

So yesterday I drive to Bathurst and collect to gorgeous big old lady 1966 Lincoln Continental with Suicide Doors:

The old guy was VERY emotional, as he handed over the keys, original books - the works. There was a tear in his eye, and I better than most appreciate how tough that was for him, I told him that he had my address and was WELCOME anytime to come visit and go for a spin in both the car and bike - he'd always be the true owner of those vehicles in my eyes. It was nice to see him crack a little smile.

Of course, my maiden drive, (meant to rival my lawless blast in Tuscany on the 750 America last year) being in Bathurst was at Mt Panorama

These pics taken at John Hinxman Vista at the top of the Mountain:

Note the lack of number plates

McPhillamy Park /Skyline:

Into The Esses:

Don't hit the wall, thru the Dipper & Conrod Straight appears:

Drove this thing home a a touch over 250klms door to door & what a blast it was - certainly not a race car but the whole Limo feel was rather exciting for my son & I, very different to out normal experiences. Not a great car to travel incognito - every car that drives past looks in and heaps of thumbs up which surprised me as I thought people would view us as environmental terrorists.

For 1966 the appointments are mind numbing:

Power windows, including power quarter vents.
Air Conditioning,
Power seats with 6 way adjustments back & forth, Up & down & tilt back & forwards!
Am/Fm radio with power aerial
Automatic Trunk release
hazard lights!
& of course 7.2 litre 462 bcubic inch V8

The only problem is that at 5.7 metres it has taken over my garage:

That black door you can see with the MV poster on it is how I used to walk into the 3rd garage to my bikes - I now need to come from outside Oh well, sometimes a few sacrifices only make things more gratifying - ask my wife who's car has been moved outside!

The old bloke needn't worry, it's gone to right home - it will be treated just like my MVs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Big Randaddy

Very nice

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 11:23 AM

Rob, nice pick-up! (both car and bike!)

Love the suicide doors.

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:38 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Nice pickup Rob. A truly iconic car. I had the chance to pick up a black one and wasn't able to. Was a sad day.

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 03:42 PM

Awesome!! Have had my eye out for a 62 for years. More pics would be great!

Pants up, don't loot.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 PM

Do NOT paint it red and silver

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Very nice
Thank you Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike View Post
Rob, nice pick-up! (both car and bike!)

Love the suicide doors.
Thanks Mike, the suicide doors really make the thing in my view, I want to sit in the back and have someone drive me around - LOL Certainly my friends are blown away, they would NEVER EVER in a million expected this from me, which makes it kind of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SAVS View Post
Nice pickup Rob. A truly iconic car. I had the chance to pick up a black one and wasn't able to. Was a sad day.
I don't blame you & don't be hard on yoursef - at 2.2+ tons it would take quite a bit of picking up

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Great acquisitions and write up Rob... I can't think of anybody who'd cherish vehicles such as these more than you. As with all your vehicles I am 100% certain that they are in safe and 'caring' hands.
I can only imagine the 'wrench' it must have been for their elderly owner to part company with something that has been part of your life for so long...and occasionally I wonder about my own bikes etc....could I part with them??.
How hard would it be to pass your collection Rob to a 'stranger'..even if you were no longer able to use them??
Some (I imagine) may think it foolish to have an 'emotional' attachment to inanimate objects such as motorcycles ..,cars etc...however when they have been part of 'you' and the memories and stories associated ...I really feel for the old guy.
Anyway enough of this melancholy stuff.....,congratulations Rob I'm glad you're living 'my' life well..,keep doin what you're doin!
Brian
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlance View Post
Awesome!! Have had my eye out for a 62 for years. More pics would be great!
I am taking it out tomorrow to get plated - I think 300 odd miles and 3 days is pushing the boundaries enough - I am pretty sure I won't like jail I'll get some more pics then, including some of the pristine interior & post them up for you '62 the President's car huh? Actually that was a 61 with a 63 grill amazing what the Lincoln car club guys are teaching me

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad-turbo View Post
Do NOT paint it red and silver
Red vinyl roof & silver body & number 1 on the front doors? you might be onto something Although, the gods would then make me (deservedly) rot in hell for perpetrating that atrocity on a loved & cared for piece of history.

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 06:44 PM

Nice ride, awesome story to go with it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode