Jeep Killing it in Aus - MVAgusta.net
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Killing it in Aus

Jeep have been developing a pretty bad reputation over here lately. Such terrible build quality. 4 of the 5 people I know that owned jeeps off loaded them after the bucket of crap had major issues under 5 years old.

Surely this brand can't continue on at this pace.

John takes them to task in his latest rant:

Last edited by Glenno; 12-19-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Established Member

Location: A place without a postcard, lutruwita aka North Antartica
I used to see this Jeep at Tuggers that had a sticker on the back that said 'It's not yellow, but it sure is a lemon.'

I think it was on 'The Checkout' that I saw a story about a fella with a Jeep that had all manner of problems with the dealer and so many warranty issues that the list was overlapping with new problems before he could even get it back from the dealer. As I recall he decided to advertise on social media that he was going to destroy it, invited people to come along, and made sufficient money from the whole thing that he could buy himself a new car.

Maybe Tesla should help them out?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Established Member

Location: A place without a postcard, lutruwita aka North Antartica
I did a quick search, long live the ABC.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...vocate/8767344
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 05:19 PM
Established Member

For the non Australians, John Cadogan is a loud mouth clown who is basically promoting his own online brokerage but he does occasionally make some good points.

Jeep are massively overpriced for what is basically 20 year old mechanical platform with a bit of more up to date electronics to get it past emissions regs, I see quite a few on my daily commute in Sydney so there must be some that don't continual issues but I think its mainly bought by people who can't afford a large euro SUV with the exception of the rubicon which is popular with the gay crowd.

Good quote from on of the utube links
"People buying Jeeps are like people trying meth for the first time, they've heard it will ruin their lives but it looks fun and maybe it won't happen to them..."
Surfer Dave likes this.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 06:31 PM

No issues with our Trackhawk yet

Last edited by ontariomystic; 12-24-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 06:58 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
We (well OK it is actually Kazza's) have an old (1997) Wrangler.
We've had it for nearly 14 years and it's little 4.0 hemi still sounds unbelievably quiet mechanically which belies it's (very) almost 300,000kms.
It had 80,000 when we got it.
We have mainly used it for a daily but it also loves to play in mud, sand and gave no trouble on extended trips including Adelaide to Airlie Beach via the coast and tourist trails through the Aus Alpine region.
It has eaten one radiator (which we replaced with a decent quality metal one, none of this plastic shite so popular these days) a water pump and the tie rods in the front end.
Yes, it's plasticky inside and the paint is well sunburnt now but we love it like a family member (well, alright, more than one or two of them)...
I thought the trans was going to take lunch at around the 250,000 mark but a change of fluid and filter brought it back to like a new one...
We are older drivers who treat our cars with respect.
Many oil / filter changes (Kaz likes to do this, along with plug/lead changes, remove refit radiator etc..) have taken place and paid off handsomely.

I certainly don't see "Turtle" as it is known in our circles (it is small, green and slow) as any kind of Landrover / BMW X* substitute...(they are wayyyy too complex and no doubt exxy on parts)

These days it is largely retired (we both have "other" drive cars) but we just can't bring ourselves to say goodbye.

I agree wholeheartedly about John Cadogan being a self appointed "expert" and opinionated Youtube "star" (hahahaha) who indeed makes the odd relevant point.

As usual any excuse to post piccies is welcome..

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 08:29 PM

New Site Garage
Where are Jeeps sold in Oz manufactured? India? Venezuela? China? USA? I have had a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (2015 model) for four years, since new, and it has been as reliable as any German, Japanese or American car I've owned. It was made in Ohio, USA.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 10:54 PM

I've had a GK SRT bought near new in 2016, hasn't missed a beat and is awesome to drive (depleting the Australian fuel reserves at an alarming rate!).

I think the earlier GK's had some issues.

Dave.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
Where are Jeeps sold in Oz manufactured? India? Venezuela? China? USA? I have had a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (2015 model) for four years, since new, and it has been as reliable as any German, Japanese or American car I've owned. It was made in Ohio, USA.
Thatís a good question. Back in the 90ís Iíve exported a batch of 20 Cherokees to Eastern Europe. They were Chinese made, all 4banger manual but cheaper than US versions and sold like hot cakes. Besides US and China the XJ was built in Latin America and even Egypt. Couldnít vouch for quality of the samples made outside of US, could be similar situation with the vehicles sold in Oz
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

For their sales to be going down from 40 000 units per annum to under 10 thousand units in a handful of years one must wonder how long they will be around here right when the Aus market is ripe for the picking.

Can't agree with everything he he says, but he often enough makes some bloody good points. The colourful language is clearly used to get views.

Don't even get me started on Alfa Romeo. I love the Guilia Quadrifoglio, but not with the Alfa Romeo reliability

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode