I just bought my first Suzuki...... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Big Randaddy

I just bought my first Suzuki......

Suzuki Carry......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Big Randaddy

My 85 year old father has a 15 year old John Deere Gator that I gave him 10 years ago. His Gator was old and tired 10 years ago. Today, it's really old and tired.

He's not very mobile, and he uses it to go back and forth up his steep driveway to his mailbox, and around back to his lower yard. He loves his Gator. He mentioned that he wanted a newer model, and I offered him one of my newer Gators as a replacement. He jumped at my offer.

So, now I'm looking at replacement Gators, and geeeze.....are they pricey. New Gators easily run way beyond $10K. I'm surfing EBay looking for used Gators and stumble across a Japanese Kei class mini pickup made by Daihatsu. The light goes off......Ah ha! For less than the cost of a decent used Gator, I can purchase a decent used Japanese mini truck, complete with a real cab, roll down windows, a heater, radio, 660 cc with maybe 30 hp, 30-40 mph, etc. in addition to Daihatsu, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki offer similar vehicles. The "Kei" class vehicles are built to take advantage of onerous licensing, taxation, and insurance rules in Japan. They are very popular all around the globe......except in the US, where they've never been legal because of safety and emission rules.

Apparently there's a thriving gray market for these little trucks to serve exactly as I intend to use this one. Farmers, ranchers, golf course management, imdustrial sites, etc. use them as replacements for ever more pricey Gators. They are imported as non-street legal UTVs. Right hand drive, Japanese instructions, etc.....but they're built to a far superior standard than the utilitarian Gator. Furthermore, Japanese used vehicle inspection rules, license requirements, and repair rules dictate that good serviceable vehicles are routinely replaced with new vehicles because repair and reconditioning requirements are very expensive. Think about having to replace your two year old Chevy truck with 30,000 miles because it needed $10k in dubious repair and reconditioning expenses.

I got a line on a local that had bought six of them for his 1000 acre farm 10 miles from me. I visited him, drove his personal "demo" which he only used to run from his home to the farm out buildings and back. I fell in love with his little Suzuki.......clean, no rust, low mileage, automatic transmission (very rare), and.......wait for it.........AIR CONDITIONING.

I ran the idea by Jackie and she loved the concept. I made him an offer.....and he passed. He could never sell his personal vehicle. Rats......"Well, if you change your mind, give me a call". I went back to surfing the Internet planning a future purchase. Now, I'm really bummed out, because everything I was looking at didn't measure up to the perfect vehicle 10 miles down the road......Oh, well.

....and then he called me back. "I've decided to accept your offer". Yee ha.

I might need a Japanese interpreter......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Last edited by Randarosa; 11-04-2015 at 09:05 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:18 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You didn't mention the fold down bed sides! Instant flat bed!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:41 AM

thats cool randy. will u be pimping it out. new rims, stereo etc... kidding

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermvfanatic View Post
thats cool randy. will u be pimping it out. new rims, stereo etc... kidding
There's a whole universe of toys for these little trucks including lift kits, rims, big tires, etc. right now, I'm needing new tires as these are the originals and they're shot. The oil is new, but the air filter is dirty. It seems I can get most all th parts on th Internet.

I actually has a functional radio.....that is turned to Japanese frequencies.

It's getting a monster clean, buff and wax righ now.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
You can take Lucky for rides in the tray!
They love it.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 04:56 PM

They're road legal over here and good for more than 40

A friend of mine, quite a large chap (6'1" & 300lbs) managed to endo a Honda Acty braking hard downhill !!

Bike - 2005 F4 1+1s - Almost stock except for Silmoto cans & de-cat

Location - bottom left corner of the UK
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Al-

I know a couple of mini truck enthusiasts, usually the 4th gear is locked out but easily defeated for 60+mph
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 03:54 PM

I'd totally hit it!

Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
I'd totally hit it!
. It's been raining cats and dogs for days now, and Jackie is really enjoying the enclosed cab traversing back and forth from the house to the barns. It's a hit so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode