MV Agusta Forum banner

MV Corse Special Parts Bikes, Kits and Factory Limited Editions

94K views 624 replies 37 participants last post by  MVArt 
#1 · (Edited)
Questions about Gen1 F4 SP kits...

Why do you think the Viper (SP01), Mamba (SP02/03/04), and Corse (SP14/15) kits weren't more successful?

The Viper kit was $18,000. 50 Total; 12 in the US.
(All custom painted carbon bodywork, including fuel tank; magnesium wheels, swingarm, frame plates, and lower triples; RG3 exhaust; certification and badge.)

The Mamba Full Optional kit was $12,000. 300 Total; <15 in the US.
(All custom painted carbon bodywork, with steel fuel tank; forged aluminum wheels; standard swingarm, frame plates, and lower triples; RG3 exhaust; certification and badge; cover and available helmet.)

The Corse kit was $6,700. Add for Carbon Kit, Marchesinis, and Titanium Exhaust. 300 Total; <10 in the US.
(All custom painted plastic bodywork, with steel fuel tank; forged aluminum wheels; standard swingarm, frame plates, and lower triples; RG3 exhaust; certification and badge; cover and available helmet.)

IF there were a continuation run of any/all of these as Gen1 SP kits, would they be successfully sold? If so, in what quantities?

Everyone seems to lust after one or more of these. But few seem to be willing to part with the cash for one. Is the Gen1 market dead for such things?

See less See more
#5 ·
This seems odd to me. The SP01 had all carbon bodywork, including the fuel tank. Neither of the Sennas had either, with only plastic bodywork and steel fuel tanks.

I love the Senna, especially the 750, but I would never cannibalize an SP01 of its parts to repair a Senna.

All replacement parts for limited editions are available from CRC on an order basis. Any complete limited edition or kit bodywork set can be ordered for replacement.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes. Even though in Europe these were all available to order as fully-built bikes, they were also much more widely available as Special Parts (SP) kits to add to any Gen1 F4. (That's why many call your Corse a "kit bike", because the majority were kits installed separately after bike/kit purchase rather than being built at CRC as complete bikes.)

The only way to get a Viper, Mamba, or Corse in the US was to buy the kit and have it installed on a new or used F4. Some of the few sold were dealers installing the kit on a new bike and charging for both as though it was imported that way. But they were still dealer "built" as new units.

The Nº 11 F4 Mamba, for instance, was a new 2005 F4 1000S and a Mamba SP03 kit. The kit was installed on the new bike at the dealer, and the dealer sold all the take-offs as parts while charging nearly $35,000. The customer bought it as a new bike, but it was imported as a standard F4 and a kit.

The Nº 23 Viper started as a new F4 750S and a Viper SP01 kit, at a total cost of over $36,000. The owner sold all the take-off parts here on mv.net and installed the kit for the bike to sit in her basement unridden until early in 2010 when she sold it for $16,000.

That's the basic story of the SP kits in the US, and it was also true for the majority of SP kits in Europe. There was just the available option in Europe of ordering the bike complete and usually waiting a few months for delivery.

Veltros and most Starfighters were different, all being built as complete bikes and only sold in Europe. But a few Starfighter kits made their way to the US, and were installed on bikes just like most of the F4 kits.

#6 ·
Perhaps I'm just stuck in the past, and others don't have much desire or concern for the SP bikes. The Gen2 may have obsoleted the Gen1 in this regard, and us old guard are just being nostalgic.

The SP bikes started in 2002 and were pretty much gone by 2007, so it's been 12 years since the SP01 and 7 years and another generation of design since they were available.

But as much as I appreciate the new Gen2 F4RR as a more modern and superior overall product for today's market, Morton's beauty will fade while Tamburini's will remain timeless, even with its broader hips.

#16 ·
Second that!!

#21 ·
Veltro,
I personally thank you for this thread.
I would not have known of or even no where to look for these special F4's. I thank you for the insight and wish to know more.
This needs to be a sticky so all can visit easily and know what is out there. The specials are just that and should be shared with all MV enthusiast. Nice, very nice.

#624 ·

winner winners, chicken dinners! 🏆🎰🏆 By far my most favorite two F4s I’ve laid eyes on, the Corse being my absolute fave. First time I ever heard of an MV Agusta was back in 2009 or when I saw a SP01 Viper for sale. From then on I knew I had to have an MV one day. Amazing what a few subtle differences can do.. some gen1 F4 color schemes don’t get a second look while others put the gears in my head in motion and I start scheming about ways to buy one —

— and occasionally I kick myself for not watching the market closer... the dream bike 07 F4 Corse with 800 miles for $9k.Who here bought this bike and will you take my 2013 F4 in a trade!!??

#77 ·
There was a Mamba a few years ago in Florida for sale. Bone stock, something around 2k miles. A dealer down there had it.

I hadn't seen one before and learned at the time about it being a kit that was added to the 1000S. A lot of what I learned came from this article.

http://www.fastdates.com/PLN.NewBikes/MVAgusta/2005MVAgustaF4-1000/2005MVAgustaF4.01.HTM

The Tambo is cool, but I've always thought the Mamba was my favorite of all the SP kits.

John

#32 ·
I think they're even more off the radar in the US because of quantities.

Even most of those who are aware of the SP bikes haven't actually seen one.

The Corse is sometimes criticized for its appearance, but is much nicer in person than in pics. It wasn't available with carbon bodywork. Usually installed on F4 1000R or F4 1000 R312.

The Mamba is more orange-red than the Tamburini and standard MVs. Very similar spec to the Tamburini, but without the TSS (Torque Shift System) variable intake runners. Usually installed on F4 1000S.

The Viper is unique, and a higher spec kit than all the production limited editions except the F4 Serie Oro and F4 CC. All carbon bodywork, including fuel tank; magnesium wheels, swingarm, frame plates, and lower triples. Usually installed on F4 750S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.