MV Agusta Forum banner

Just bought a 910S Gladio (35/300)

5K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  eddypro 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

After 6 years on a Ducati ST2 and 4 years of having no bike anymore, all of a sudden this little beauty came up for sale near my home.
It's a 910S Gladio (nr35/400), with km on the clock and a clean maintenance history.
Previous owner replaced front bearings and SPU

It also has a nice list of mods:
Rizoma mirrors, rearsets and front indicators
Carbon tail with tail tidy and brake light/indicators integrated
Carbon dash cover, keyguard, chainguard, rear fender and headlight cover
Custom made crash protectors
Matris Steering damper
upgraded SPU
Decat midpipe with Corse chip

Bike drives great, right now waiting on my license plates to take it out for a real spin instead of a testrun :)

Also got a disc lock, chain lock, 2 paddock stands and new headers with it (one of the current headers has a small dent in the bottom).

The only thing I noticed is that the passenger seat is insanely slippery, to the point where my girlfriend just slides around in a way that is unbearable for the both of us. Since the bike has some mileage, the rear seat is a bit discoloured and the front has some wear & tear. I was thinking of having it re-upholstered with a look as close as possible to the original. Would it be a big improvement, grip-wise, to have the seats done in alcantara instead of leather?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the family!!!
My lady also slips a bit on the pillion, but we blame it on her riding pants!

You might send a PM to Ade about recovering your seats. He makes some very tastefully done work.

#4 ·
Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Though I do appreciate the suggestion, I'd probably have it upholstered here in belgium rather than order one outside of the EU. Larger packets rarely pass customs without being smacked with 50% tax or more, which most of the time makes this ridiculously expensive.
The ST2 also had a bit of slip, but this rear seat feels like it has been polished and waxed for ultimate slipperyness :D

#7 ·
I'll do my best to enjoy, good weather coming in later this week so that should be not a problem :)

What is the difference between an SP12 and an SP13 Gladio kit? Can't really find a lot of details about it online, is it just the base bike (910S/R) or does it go further?

#11 ·
Finally got my plates and took the bike for a first spin

battery was dead so had to push-start it

first problem arose: the speedo is totally unstable. even at a standstill, the speed fluctuates between 3km/h and 13km/h at random, and when taking of immediately shoots up to 40-50. When i'm following cars on a 70km/h road, it's somewhere inbetween 140 and 200. I turned it off and on again, but to no solution. What could this be?

second weird thing happened when i arrived home. during the ride no issues, but i stopped, took my helmet and gloves off and let the bike idle for about 2 minutes. temp was about 92° and the fan was on. I turned of the contact and seconds after, some rubber hose spit out coolant. i first thought I had a major leak, but it simply dumped coolant (it tasted sweet so i know it's not another fluid)

anybode who can help me out here ?

#12 ·
Hey Jeroen! Welcome here; I just noticed. Great Brutale the Gladio :)

#13 ·

Another note on the speedo issue: the bike has been fitted with a shift indicator. it seems to pickup some signal, but it is totally not accurate. the only thing it reads fine is neutral, but once you start driving or shifting it jumps up to 6th gear waaaay too fast and then goes into some circling motion of the digits.
so as both the speedo and the gear indicator seem to be haywire, i assume they both are getting signal from the sensor but it's just a shit signal ?

#14 ·
Im assuming the shift indicator is built into the dash, on the tach side? this was an upgrade that a lot of owners did to their bikes. It uses the speed and rpm in the dash to "tell" what gear it is in, because your bike is reading way fast, the indicator is going to 6th gear. for now i would say the indicator is fine, you just have to find the under lying issue with the speedo.

about the coolant puking... my bike does that on occasion. although the Brutale doesnt run "hot" compared to the F4, it runs hotter then i would like, if left to idle for any period of time it will get rather warm, and then if you shut it off, with no coolant flow, im assuming a few hotspots in the motor cause the coolant to boil a bit, which spikes the pressure and causes some minor puking.

in my case its never more then an ounce or two and only when really hot or if i shut it off after an extended idle. i was able to minimize/eliminate it a lot by updating the cooling system. I added the updated MV pump, muzzy fans, water and water wetter, cat delete etc... made a huge difference in bikes cooling

#16 · (Edited)
cat delete is already on the bike, i read something about a 'yellow dot cap' so i'm gonna check if I have that. if not, caps are cheap so i'll buy one.
is it normal for my bike to have only 1 fan? i know my ducati and several other brutale's had 2 fans

//edit: I found 2 used but working speed sensors for 50EUR on ebay, however both are marked to be for a F4 750. Visually they look the same as the one on my 910S B4, is this the same unit?

#19 ·
after about 20 minutes i've given up, i can't even move it for a millimeter :/

how visible should coolant be in the tank? i can't really see the coolant level when looking into it from the side, but I remember from my oil chevrolet truck that the bottle was just so unclear that it would look empty when I had filled it to the top.

#21 ·
Took it for it's first big drive today, did about 450km in one day.
Every time i get off the throttle or go on it again, it gives a kind of snap. Like someone kicked you in the back. I can dose the throttle well during spirited riding, but slower riding or in groups is just bloody hard.
I also get some decent vibration from the steering wheel, after about 200km my hands were literally tingling when we stopped.
I know these bikes have quite a snippy throttle response, but I was totally not expecting it to be such a big snap.

#22 ·
Check the throttle cables are adjusted correctly so there isn't too much slack in either, but also that there is a little slack and they aren't too tight.
My 750 wasn't too bad, but on my 910 I could have idle speed or 2000rpm, it was not possible to get anything in between....

200km is more than I can manage on my 910! I think I was stopping every 75-100km last time I did a big ride on it. Look up "pussy grips" - foam handle bar grips, these help reduce the vibes. Also look at some bigger/larger bar end weights, these also helped for me.

#27 ·
I think I remember reading the 1078 has heavier bar end weights. I know I put lighter ones on when I put on bar end mirrors and it was horrible. I put the heavy weights back on right away.

The speed you are driving is the other thing. My bike is most pleasant to drive at about 65mph or so. Maintaining 75mph down the interstate is really tiring from the vibration in about 50 miles.

#24 ·
If You are concerned about throttle cable adjustment, than I would leave the fingers from changing the spark plugs.
Digging to the spark plugs is roughly requiring following steps.
Passenger seat
Riders seat.
Left and right tail pieces.
Under tank pieces left and right.
Key guard.
Tank with all connections, tank to be drained for enhanced handling.
Better You have a helping hand for the tank removal, because it can drop during You fiddle with the connections underneath.
ECU
Air box.
And than You are anywhere near to see the spark plugs.
Installing all this by Your self is a pain and full of surprises.
I have done it a few times and stumble every time over some hidden problems.

#26 ·
Well, adjusting the cables on the steering wheel is no issue, adjusting them at the throttle bodies is something quite different :)

Anyhow, i just had contact with the guy who always did my Ducati and turns out he used to own and race a 910R and did recognize my issues. He has the equipment to do the TPS setup and was happy to give me a hand, so i'll keep you posted. I'll let him pop in the iridium plugs at the same time :)

#28 ·
Motovation has a set of bar ends they developed for the MV. I have a set on my 910R and it is smooth as glass on the bars. I liked them so much I put a set they devloped for the Suzukis on the track bike. I injured my hands in a crash 2 years ago and the braking fingers on the right hand can go to sleep. Changing the bar ends on both bikes fixed that problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.