Power connection for Garmin 595 cradle? - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Power connection for Garmin 595 cradle?

So I have a question on where riders are pulling a switched 12v power supply for Garmins and other Nav units. On my Monster S and Triumph STR there are switched leads under the tanks for heated grip additions that Iíve wired the cradles into for power (and I run the USB and headphone/mic leads under the seat for future use I guess... have never really used these extra connectors). On the TV there is a 12v power port for accessories on the riderís right side that Iíll likely tap into. I just wanted to ask if this is a switched lead or always-on feed (have been traveling and havenít had much time to piddle lately with it). This seems like a good location for a connection for the cradle.

I also hope there is some room under the front fairing to hide all the extra cables that come with this cradle. One thing I may do is pull the USB link to one of the little compartments up in the sides of the fairing... would allow me to put a USB drive full of MP3s there if anything else (since thereís no room under the pillion seat to speak of).

Iíll update everyone with pics/install once I get going next week. TIA for any feedback.

Hal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 03:42 PM

I have 2 USB connections in the front, which you can attach your Garmin to and disconnect it when you want, no hard wiring required.

Bikes:

2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso
2015 Triumph Street Triple R
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

I believe the USBs are 5v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworld View Post
I have 2 USB connections in the front, which you can attach your Garmin to and disconnect it when you want, no hard wiring required.
The Garmin cradle needs 12v iirc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 04:48 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc3 View Post
So I have a question on where riders are pulling a switched 12v power supply for Garmins and other Nav units. On my Monster S and Triumph STR there are switched leads under the tanks for heated grip additions that I’ve wired the cradles into for power (and I run the USB and headphone/mic leads under the seat for future use I guess... have never really used these extra connectors). On the TV there is a 12v power port for accessories on the rider’s right side that I’ll likely tap into. I just wanted to ask if this is a switched lead or always-on feed (have been traveling and haven’t had much time to piddle lately with it). This seems like a good location for a connection for the cradle.

I also hope there is some room under the front fairing to hide all the extra cables that come with this cradle. One thing I may do is pull the USB link to one of the little compartments up in the sides of the fairing... would allow me to put a USB drive full of MP3s there if anything else (since there’s no room under the pillion seat to speak of).

I’ll update everyone with pics/install once I get going next week. TIA for any feedback.

Hal.
All Turismo Veloce got a 12V feed plug available for the GPS option somewhere in the harness on the right side. You are likely to have to remove the right and left fairing and the cone nose to access it. My assumption is that it should be somewhere on the right side encased within the harness… (all is closed using rubers that can be opened and closed again. You'll have to search.
By the way: all the 12V socket, feed plugs, and USB socket are actually switched ones

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Looking forward for MVArdeche event in 2019
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:41 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
On the TV there is a 12v power port for accessories on the rider’s right side that I’ll likely tap into. I just wanted to ask if this is a switched lead or always-on feed (have been traveling and haven’t had much time to piddle lately with it). This seems like a good location for a connection for the cradle.

I brought a Hella 90ļ plug which works well with this socket, the flip up cover on the socket practically secures the plug in place.

Quote:
I also hope there is some room under the front fairing to hide all the extra cables that come with this cradle. One thing I may do is pull the USB link to one of the little compartments up in the sides of the fairing... would allow me to put a USB drive full of MP3s there if anything else (since there’s no room under the pillion seat to speak of).
I hate having excess unnecessary coils of cable. I'm guessing that the cradle is the same as for my Zumo 590. I just measured how long I needed, with a bit of slack, and cut the Garmin cable to length, pared back and insulated all but the black and red wires. Wired red to to centre, black to edge of the plug, threaded this through and tied to existing wiring with Velcro ties. Worked like a charm for my 2 and bit years/18,000 miles with the bike and is easily removable should that be necessary. Length of cable was thankfully enough to wire to the dedicated connection on my current bike, though new cradles are available at reasonable cost.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 08:39 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
It is easy enough to figure out if your 12V port is switched...measure voltage with the key on and key off.

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Agreed. Now that I'm home I'll put a meter on it today and update back with findings. Thanks.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
All Turismo Veloce got a 12V feed plug available for the GPS option somewhere in the harness on the right side. You are likely to have to remove the right and left fairing and the cone nose to access it. My assumption is that it should be somewhere on the right side encased within the harnessÖ (all is closed using rubers that can be opened and closed again. You'll have to search.
By the way: all the 12V socket, feed plugs, and USB socket are actually switched ones
I figured there may be an accessory plug or lead somewhere. I think I have a wiring diagram fo the 2016 TV here, will review that before taking things apart. Worst case I can wire to the heat/accessory plug on the right (provided its a switched feed). Appreciate the help.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 03:25 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
I figured there may be an accessory plug or lead somewhere. I think I have a wiring diagram fo the 2016 TV here, will review that before taking things apart. Worst case I can wire to the heat/accessory plug on the right (provided its a switched feed). Appreciate the help.
My Zumo GPS is relying on the standard GPS option socket.
For the worst case, please take note : heat/accessories plug and usb are switched. And in the case you need more feeds : I did use the signal of the rear socket to switch on an additional fuse box (mounted under a low profile lithium ion battery (which use less room than the standard Acid Gel battery)) where I have my additional lights, voltmeter, power feed for the GIVI tank bag and the CLS Evo plugged in.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Looking forward for MVArdeche event in 2019
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

So Marc is there a plug for the factory GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
My Zumo GPS is relying on the standard GPS option socket.
For the worst case, please take note : heat/accessories plug and usb are switched. And in the case you need more feeds : I did use the signal of the rear socket to switch on an additional fuse box (mounted under a low profile lithium ion battery (which use less room than the standard Acid Gel battery)) where I have my additional lights, voltmeter, power feed for the GIVI tank bag and the CLS Evo plugged in.
That would be ideal if so... you wouldn't happen to have a pic of its location or idea of where it's located would you? Appreciate all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode