Tire replacement choices? - MVAgusta.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Tire replacement choices?

I am nearing the time to start thinking changing my original tires on my TV. The Pirellis were fine but I am not married to them. I run Michelin Pilot Power CTs on my Brutale and I am tempted to stick with a "sporty" choice rather than going for "touring" references like Pilot Road or Road 5. I am more interested in grip and stickiness than breaking durability records and rain isn't really a concern. I am also open to other brands.

What have been your choices and following impressions?

Thanks!

Last edited by pierre.poilane; 07-29-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:34 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I am sold on Dunlop Q3+ ...Q4 for pure track days.

Great tires, and developed and made in the USA for our roads. !!

Used to run Pirellis on most of my sporty bikes. The SuperCorsas are great but wear pretty quick.

Tried Michelins and they were good until they weren't..... started sliding about with little warning. Ran Bridgestones once, and they were OK but the edges went too fast (dual compound tires).
pierre.poilane and Deano like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:02 AM

New Site Garage
Running the Bridgestone T-31 with the dual compound. I get about 9k on the rear and 6k on the front. They do wear on the edges first.
pierre.poilane likes this.

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:47 AM

Based on the OP words solely im going to assume the skill level isnt even on par with OEM tires.
You want what you want though so why not by DOT race rubber? Michelin Evo cups. Pirelli SC1\2's. BStone R11's..
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I am just really curious to know if TV users prefer Sport tires as opposed to Touring tires. The current Scorpion Trail are an odd choice in my view to start with as this isn't really a dual sport bike.
And I really don't think race rubber would be a wise choice for my program.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:44 AM
Established Member

Happily married to Pirelli! No need to change brand, replaced first set of Pirelli ScTr to DRIII run few sets of those as my tempo increased last year i put Corsa II and i think its perfect (Pirelli) tire for TV, anyway as soon i get second bike i will try SC1/2 for TV if you know what i mean ;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to zzaraxx For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:46 AM

I previously had a pair of Rosso III which were fine but I fancied a change and so looked at the Michelin options (Road 5 and Power). I decided to go for the Road 5's. They felt very strange to start with and I had to play around a bit with the pressures (I settled on 36 front and 40 rear) but now I have done several hundred miles, I'm impressed. They're probably not as quick steering as the Rosso III but they feel very solid very planted and very confidence inspiring.
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigH For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:58 AM

Tire choices and recommendations is like asking "how do you want your burger cooked". I have a sporty city bike which I also use to commute with and I like Pirelli Angles ST's. I bought the TVL to tour with, but also do a lot of smaller day trips. The only time I go off road is in a crash.
So the tires I like are Michelin, Pilot Road 5's.
So how do you like your burger?

Bikes:

2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso
2015 Triumph Street Triple R

Last edited by Allworld; 07-31-2019 at 07:39 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre.poilane View Post
I am just really curious to know if TV users prefer Sport tires as opposed to Touring tires. The current Scorpion Trail are an odd choice in my view to start with as this isn't really a dual sport bike.
And I really don't think race rubber would be a wise choice for my program.
If you detailed your 'program' instead of making such a vague post then maybe you wouldnt have a cluster of pork, cow, lamb, burger options thrown at you when you wanted a fish sandwich with tarter sauce on the side.

I have experience and training on cheap china rubber to full race slicks, on road and track, but to be fair, i have zero experience on a TV.

That being said, my 3cyl 900 easily takes the 'touring' out of 'sport touring tires' on the Pirelli Angel GTs (mich road equivalent) and ive drug pucks on the michlins with a full wet, raining track. I suggest those two tires to nearly all street riders as they provide enough grip capable of running quick on the track as well.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to NTGmv1k For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
My program with the TV is 2-3 hour stints in the twisties of Northern California and 3-4 days trips with luggage, preferably at a solid pace:
No track with the TV, I have the 1090RR for that.
Got 2 votes for the Pilot Road 5 so I'll probably go with that.
Thanks again.
falcn likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode