lowering - MVAgusta.net
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

lowering

Hello All So I am considering lowering my TVL. I found some "dog bones" or lowering links, by Lust Racing. This should lower the the bike 25mm or 1". Has anyone done this? Also should I set the front forks lower in the triple clamp as well?

This is a case of " I don't know what I don't know" and really not sure what questions I should be asking, that said any advice or insight is truly welcome.

Bikes:

2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso
2015 Triumph Street Triple R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:57 PM

Hey there Big Fella,
Lusso,........ Nice...

When the VFR types lowered their bikes by flipping the linkage pieces in the rear suspension to affect a 16mm drop they would lower the front end by sliding the fork tubes up by approximately 6mm. There were those in that group who claimed that the geometry of the 800 VFR was maintained although logic seems to point to a greater than 6mm drop on the front end to maintain it.
A quick call to a suspension guru would be a wise choice here, Traxxion or similar.

Happy Trails
nigelrb likes this.

Last edited by Amplific; 07-18-2019 at 10:10 PM.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:03 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The quick answer is YES.

Any time you change the ride height in the rear you must make an equal change in the front. If you don't you will have a "chopper" with too much rake and trail.

If you want your bike to continue to handle the way it does now you must maintain the proper steering geometry.

Don't overlook your side stand...it may need shortening.
Duc-Mike likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworld View Post
Hello All So I am considering lowering my TVL. I found some "dog bones" or lowering links, by Lust Racing. This should lower the the bike 25mm or 1". Has anyone done this? Also should I set the front forks lower in the triple clamp as well?

This is a case of " I don't know what I don't know" and really not sure what questions I should be asking, that said any advice or insight is truly welcome.
Some have done it, and it is far from perfect:
  • Central stand will touch ground easily on the angle
  • the lateral stand will be too long as well
  • the overal behavior of the bike will change if you don't change the front similarly to the back (and there is ot much clearance to the front)...

In short: not so good. Did you considered extend you legs?
zzaraxx and Duc-Mike like this.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
In short: not so good. Did you considered extend you legs?
Not exactly as that would be cost prohibitive, I'm thinking a pair of stiletto riding boots.
zzaraxx and Duc-Mike like this.

Bikes:

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Established Member

I'd recommend reading this article.

https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rid...-and-short-it/

For KTM and Husqvarna dirt bikes, lowering can be accomplished with manufacture produced kits where different fork
springs (shorter) are installed with spacers into the forks to reduce the ride height and match the drop on the rear with the linkage change. Take sag measurements prior so that you can match them after completion of the front and rear drop.

Possibly one of the many different suspension tuning companies may have a kit for the front forks on the MV you own.
Allworld likes this.

2014 Husqvarna FE501
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:53 PM
Established Member

I had my dealer (in the Phoenix area) get the lowering links and install them, and he also lowered the front. It was more difficult (though not impossible) to get on the centerstand but he did not shorten the side stand. Although the bike didn't lean as much on the side stand, it still leaned more than the KTM 690 Duke I'd had.

Although lowering the bike made me more comfortable choosing places to park, ultimately it couldn't take care of my underlying neurological problem. HTH.
Duc-Mike likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Not as crazy as it may seem.
If you look at women's boots it is not unusual to find them with 1-3 inch heals on top of higher soles .
Ebay has literally about a thousand(search high heeled women's boots).Also a larger size will make tip toeing easier.
So for usually less then $100usd you can get the equivalent of lowering the bike and not changing the suspension geometry.
Often one has the to also adjust the redshift and rear brake heights.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

So I have done a little research and I going to give it a try, I found a company that sells a kit, that will lower it by 20mm which is just a tad over 3/4". I will lower the front end, slightly, maybe 15mm or so.
I should still be able to use the center stand and hopefully the side stand. If it doesn't work out I will go back to stock since I would not have made any permanent changes. My last name is Rossi and this is a touring bike so the slight performance changes should not be of much consequence to me. The slightly lower stance will greatly improve my level of comfort.
I will not have a chance to do this till Sept. hopefully before Gapa 19. I will report back once the work is complete.
Thanks to everyone for your input.

Bikes:

Last edited by Allworld; 07-22-2019 at 05:40 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Established Member

Just for information, with the 25mm lust lowering links they recommend you lower the forks by 10-12mm

Turismo Veloce
Brutale 920

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode