Clutch Release - MVAgusta.net
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Clutch Release

I can't seem to find any posts about this problem so here goes. My 2016 TVL is very sensitive when I try and let out the clutch from a complete stop. If I don't very gently and slowly let it engage, the machine acts like a bucking bronco. Before I call my local dealer and engage the service department in another dead-end conversation, does anyone have any insight on what I should look for?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sebraun For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:35 AM

The only problem I'm aware of is the pressure switch leaks.
Which eventually depletes the fluid in the reservoir.

How is the lever travel?
How is the fluid level in the clutch reservoir?

For a temp repair see these threads: https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/74-tu...ch-switch.html

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Lever travel is very good and zero problems with fluid leaks. The entire action is quite smooth as long as I don't let it out too quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Is it possible that the Cush drive rubbers are causing or contributing to this problem?
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:06 PM

New Site Garage
My Turismo had the same problem. During my almost 18,000 miles of ownership I changed the clutch switch once and cush drive rubbers a few times and also had the recall for the clutch update carried out by my dealer. None of these resolved the issue. The clutch was never particularly precise with a slight click felt at the lever on release. The kangaroo thing was a rare occurrence but it was pretty annoying, if not dangerous, when it happened. It is something that other TV owners have experienced and reported on this forum.

A suggested theory is that it's something to do with the slipper clutch, however, it's really the wrong direction of drive for this to be happening. Maybe the slipper clutch design is at fault?

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:55 PM

New Site Garage
Hi
Maybe you get your clutch basket checked. Your TV has a silver engine, so it has been produced in 2015 or 2016. A clutch update is supposed to be applied on those as part of a service bulletin (details here: http://net.mvagusta.it/article_attac...ment_view/2602) applicable to TV until VIN V001790

In anycase, it's worth to check that it has been done (https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/129-m...ch-basket.html)

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Looking forward for MVArdeche event in 2019
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Slipper clutch can cause erratic engagement depending on operation prior to disengaging and coming to a stop. High rpm deceleration with a last minute dis-engagement can leave the slipper partially loaded. Probably some other scenarios as well. The click felt is the slipper deactivating.

At least that's my theory.....
Brutale800RR likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

I had the Bulletin 168 clutch update performed at 6900 miles. I now have 16K miles. Nothing much has changed. When I engage the clutch, I don't hear a click. So I'm not sure about the slipper clutch phenomena.
Anybody have any advice on how maybe to get this bike off from a dead stop a little quicker? I've owned maybe 30 different motorcycles over a span of about 55 years and this one is the hardest ever to get smoothly going.
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebraun View Post
I had the Bulletin 168 clutch update performed at 6900 miles. I now have 16K miles. Nothing much has changed. When I engage the clutch, I don't hear a click. So I'm not sure about the slipper clutch phenomena.
Anybody have any advice on how maybe to get this bike off from a dead stop a little quicker? I've owned maybe 30 different motorcycles over a span of about 55 years and this one is the hardest ever to get smoothly going.
Has this occurred from new?
What oil is used?

My Turismo, '16 does not act as you describe.
However, with similar owner experience as you, I can ride around a lot of machine problems.

Maybe technique?
Maybe the clutch disks are glazed and need resurfacing or replacement?
Have you tried different engine oil?

Rode a Buell for 12 years with constant concern that the drive belt would break, it never did. But, that concern modified my launch from a stop technique to be very progressive over time without too much sipping of the clutch.

(I don't like the hydro clutch or the slipper feature; and if it were cost effective I'd gladly do away with both.)

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Oil is proper. Riding technique is satisfactory, considering the years I've been doing it.
Just talked to a tech at my local dealer. Clueless. Why do I bother?
Guess it's time to get the service manual out and start taking things apart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode