Clutch Release - Page 5 - MVAgusta.net
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NippyNelmo View Post
I'm due to go away on holiday with the MV in a few days but will definitely give it a go on my return. Absolutely nothing to lose and potentially many ££'s to gain as I can only imagine how much a new basket would cost. On tickover and at low revs, the engine (clutch?) sounds like a bag of spanners so it will be interesting to see if the filing will make the rattle worse!
I'm in a similar position. Got my bike booked in for the annual service and a check on the clutch mechanism, the day before the big Euro trip in a few weeks' time. I mentioned the technical bulletin when booking the service, though they didn't immediately know of it. Mine also sounds like a bag of spanners, but I believe the Euro4 models are significantly quieter.

I've had some terrifying moments on the TVL on every extended trip, with the bike kangarooing forward - it's a wonder I haven't crashed yet! It's make or break time. It often happens in traffic or town riding. If it can't be fixed then I'll trade it in. I've got a demo of the SCS version when mine's in the workshop, which might be an answer (at a price!) otherwise I'll begin the quest again for a fun touring bike...

MV Turismo Veloce Lusso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:18 PM
Established Member

I've had this same problem with multiple bikes over the years. It has always been glazed plates caused by the oil I have used.

Change the oil to the recommended type. You can de-glaze the plates with sandpaper over a flat plate. I use a Blanchard ground 1/2' plate. The other option is to just replace the plates. Most motorcycle clutches are fairly simple to work on.
NippyNelmo likes this.

2017 Dragster

2014 BMW R1200GS
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Landavoz View Post
I've had this same problem with multiple bikes over the years. It has always been glazed plates caused by the oil I have used.

Change the oil to the recommended type. You can de-glaze the plates with sandpaper over a flat plate. I use a Blanchard ground 1/2' plate. The other option is to just replace the plates. Most motorcycle clutches are fairly simple to work on.
Yes, I have heard this explanation, but what specific oil are you using? Mine is serviced by an official dealership so presumably everything is to factory spec, which is strange if you're saying it's the oil they use.

MV Turismo Veloce Lusso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Do any of you use the "Quick Shift" feature?
If so how often?
Also do you use it for up and down shifting?

add:
Odometer reading?

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Teeps; 06-18-2019 at 01:04 PM.
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
If so how often?
On the right roads, certainly, and when in the mood for play! Mostly upshifts and only the occasional downshift.

MV Turismo Veloce Lusso
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:43 AM
Established Member

Quote:
If so how often?
I've yet to experience the problem noted with inconsistent clutch engagement.

I do use the "quick shift" feature all the time both up and down shifting. Down shifting only off throttle and up shift while on throttle. IMO, the quick shifting is a huge upside for fun when riding this moto.

I use Castrol 4T 5w-40 full synthetic oil.

edit 13K miles on my moto

Last edited by Fastspy; 06-18-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastspy View Post
I've yet to experience the problem noted with inconsistent clutch engagement.

I do use the "quick shift" feature all the time both up and down shifting. Down shifting only off throttle and up shift while on throttle. IMO, the quick shifting is a huge upside for fun when riding this moto.

I use Castrol 4T 5w-40 full synthetic oil.
I just added odometer reading to my post above.
I have 4200 miles on my '16 TV and also have not experienced the symptom either.
Not really a fan of the Q/S.
I've used it some, but now have it turned off.

The Castrol you are using is a good deal... even has the correct specs for MV on the package, too. (I might have to switch)

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Established Member

Quote:
The Castrol you are using is a good deal... even has the correct specs for MV on the package, too. (I might have to switch)

A bit over 13K miles on mine. After the initial oil change at 632 miles, I've changed the oil more frequent than the service interval listed in the shop manual/owners manual. Usually change at about 3K interval.
Teeps likes this.
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:29 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastspy View Post
on dirt bikes when the basket fingers become notchy you can file them smooth and re-use the basket without issue. All depends on how bad the basket fingers are but might be worth a try before buying a new basket.
Clutch basket within the pictures is the one before the recall, and not the new one. Suggest a check with a dealer if it is yours.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
Clutch basket within the pictures is the one before the recall, and not the new one. Suggest a check with a dealer if it is yours.
No it is not mine. I used a photo off this forum as a reference for the clutch basket finger abrasions.

Sorry if it confused those following along in this thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode