MV TVL or Duc SSS...disabled rider - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

MV TVL or Duc SSS...disabled rider

Hi everyone!

Maybe you’ll help me clear my mind for my next bike. Long story short, I’m 39 and after a motorcycle crash over 10 years ago, countless hours of surgeries and years of therapy, I lost use of 75% of my left arm and hand. I can hold the handlebar but can not open my finger, limited wrist use jus pushing down, can stretch, hold and bend my elbow.
I started riding again, a bicycle first, than scooter than the first motorcycles...a custom build cafe racer 200cc with an auto clutch engine from a very old Honda Atv. I moved to a wr250 supermoto with rekluse clutch and the new vitpilen 401 with rekluse.
I can hold the handle bar with left hand but cannot open the fingers and I can keep my left arm straight on the bar having decent strength to push and pull but the more I bend the elbow the less strength I’ve to push down. Example: on a cafe racer I feel very strong riding but can’t ride to long (as everyone). On a dirt bike I’m more comfortable but left arm isn’t working much.
Well if you have questions on how I ride just ask 🙂

Now! I always loved small bikes back in Italy but now I’m in the US and as much I love my vitpilen on twisty roads once I’m on the highway to get to decent roads (40/60 mins), I start to struggle for the position with clipons, pain on left arm for bed road condition keeping arms stretched and stiff suspension and no tank to rest on but mostly...the wind.
Anything above 75mph is uncomfortable on that bike and my left shoulder start to get tired fighting the wind.
Choosing a new bike isn’t easy because I cannot test ride them.

My finalists are Turismo veloce lusso with rekluse auto clutch, Ducati SuperSport S with EFM auto clutch or super duke with rekluse.
I still want some pepper while riding, maybe the Superduke is too much but it’s a nice bike, rekluse fits perfectly and above riding position is spot on for me but no wind protection on the R version.
Ducati is a great bike, good wind protection, nice sport bike feeling to attack turns; on paper efm clutch should work but not tested. Riding position should be comfortable and give some strength to the shoulders.
It’s the bike I always wanted next to the f3.
Then I saw a partnership between rekluse and MV...a bike that have electronics set for the auto clutch...and it’s an MV...very expensive but that engine sounds sublime. Never had a tourer, never wanted one and don’t exactly need one with a 3yo baby but reading you guys, the TVL seems very sporty but how does it compare to the other bikes? I still want some action on the right roads, nothing insane. TVL has a very comfortable riding position but it’s the one where my left arm is almost useless.

All 3 have great rider’s aids, duc is tiny lighter and slightly torquier than TVL but TVL has better electronic and engine...and frame probably. Adjustable suspension on the fly is a plus for me as it helps avoiding pain from bad roads but Duc suspension are very competent.
I Want a bike to take an hour or less on highway at 75/85, get to tight, very tight and technical roads, enjoy them for few hours and get back happy and not in pain or tired. Here and there maybe a night out to get to different mountains.
No commuting, no city riding. No fun on sweepers at 110mph, just knee down when needed and lot of changes of direction playing with the torque.

Maybe some of you have tested or have them both.
An English motorcycle magazine did a comparison and Duc came out as winner as easier to enjoy and they complained about TVL quickshifter downshifting.

Hope some of you can give me some insight after falling asleep reading all the above.
Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You either want the beauty and exclusivity of the MV or you don't..... Buy the Ducati.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 10-23-2018 at 05:43 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffeB View Post
TVL has a very comfortable riding position but itís the one where my left arm is almost useless.
It seems the TVL is out of consideration, no?

Downshifts with a quick shifter are done with a closed throttle, I never had an issue with my TVL as long as I had the throttle closed.

I commend you for your persistence and grit. Looking forward to finding out your decision, please let us know what you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

It seems the TVL is out of consideration, no?

Downshifts with a quick shifter are done with a closed throttle, I never had an issue with my TVL as long as I had the throttle closed.
Not out of consideration at all!
I apologize if I gave that impression.
Quite the opposite, just have little concerns here and there. I always enjoyed and had sport bikes and now something completely different as the TVL even if more expensive is catching my visceral interest.

Thank you for the quickshifter note, really appreciate ...that’s the reason I’m asking here.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:44 AM

New Site Garage
I agree with Wonko re the quickshifter. Works great for me. I canít comment on the other bikeís under consideration but would say the TVL is more towards the Ďsportí end of the scale than touring. A test ride would be in order! 😉👍🏻🏍

Whichever way you go I hope you find something that appropriately rewards your determination! Good luck! Let us know.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:08 AM

New Site Garage
IF you like dirt bikes, like the WR like I do, the TVL is a good go to. I ride KTM EXC's and Xc's and the TVL is similar in that it is light weight, narrow and has a small vibration, like a two stroke or a high revving four, that feels like you're doing 100 when at 70.

I have turned downshifting off and only use upshifting on occasion. It is very smooth when I do use it.

I rode the SuperDuke 1290 Tourer in the Alps a few weeks ago and loved it. The wind protection was not good. I would not trade in my TVL for it though. I do not think I need 160hp, when 110hp gets me up to speed plenty fast.
esq'z me likes this.

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:56 AM

New Site Garage
TBH, in your situation, I would have thought the TVL with the factory engineered Rekluse was a no brainer. I am assuming the KTM and Ducati options would need aftermarket auto clutch installations? As far as I am aware MV is the only road bike manufacturer to offer such a clutch as a factory option?

The TV is a one off really, a reasonably light weight sporty bike with a comfortable adventure bike riding position. Not a sports tourer, not a street bike and not an adventure bike. Closest alternative is a Yamaha Tracer 900GT, similar, minus all the MV style but a lot less cost.

The QS works fine when you use it right. As previously stated, for downshifting the throttle must be closed. Best kept open when upshifting. One time firm operation of the gearshift pedal is required.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTman View Post
TBH, in your situation, I would have thought the TVL with the factory engineered Rekluse was a no brainer. I am assuming the KTM and Ducati options would need aftermarket auto clutch installations? As far as I am aware MV is the only road bike manufacturer to offer such a clutch as a factory option?
Before reading the news about the TVL, the winter plan was to decide between Duc and Superduke. Mostly because the duke has a specific rekluse clutch, same as TVL minus the ecu tune that limit power if you try to start in 3rd gear (SCS of the TVL) and a “supposed to be” comfortable position for me, stretched arms, sitting almost upright with shoulders leaning a bit forward.
Supersport on the other side will need a different clutch, you’re right, machined from EFM auto clutch but it’s the sport bike style I was looking for that is somehow comfortable too. I’m afraid of giving up that for a more touring bike but you’re all saying it’s sport and engaging enough. 🙂

I can get used to that QS 🙂 ...I clutchless shift every time up or down without qs now and if you’re not firm...it doesn’t get into gear

If the TVL will not be for me after I buy it...it will be a big financial hit as I kinda see them as hard to resell. But at same time...it’s growing on me, a lot. The fact that can be ridden as a heavy supermoto but have 3 cylinders to push you trough rpm is maybe the key for me and not look at her as a middle age tourer bike (no age offense please). I would not even consider any other tourer.

It’s almost a no brainer the TVL...it’s just that old habits are hard to die especially on riding.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:17 AM

New Site Garage
FYI I am beyond middle age now. But that means most of the time I've been there and got the tee shirt, so take no offense whatever those of fewer years may think.

The TVL SCS is an expensive bike for sure, and you would indeed need to be sure it was for you before parting with the asking. That's why you might want to investigate the clutch options for a 900 Tracer GT. I have only sat on one, the bars are a little lower and further forward than the TV. The bars are quite close on the TV and my arms are far from outstretched by the way. The financial risk and outlay would be a lot less with the Yamaha. Minus points are no Italian style and pretty basic suspension.

Fitting an after market clutch also gives the option of returning the bike to std when selling, be it a KTM, Ducati or whatever.

The cost of the MV is probably the only (potentially large) fly in the ointment, and I suspect the depreciation will be even worse than the non SCS version. If you really want one it may pay to wait 12 months or so, you might get one at a much better price this time next year.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope you can enjoy motorcycling for many years to come.

Last edited by RSTman; 10-25-2018 at 04:33 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:42 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTman View Post

The cost of the MV is probably the only (potentially large) fly in the ointment, and I suspect the depreciation will be even worse than the non SCS version. If you really want one it may pay to wait 12 months or so, you might get one at a much better price this time next year.
Every time I rode my TVL I was glad I bought it and I was (am) really sad to see it go. Had I waited to get a better deal, I might never have had the enjoyment of my TVL. As it was, I enjoyed it for a little less than 3 years; (picked it up November '15) as you know better than most of us, it's impossible to say how long we'll be able to enjoy motorcycling. If you want one, get it. Don't look back. Motorcycles aren't "spreadsheet" items; as long as you're honest with yourself about what you want and don't try to rationalize your purchase, you won't regret your decision.

Happy trails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode