Tutoro Chain Oiler - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Tutoro Chain Oiler

Installed my Tutoro chain oiler on the TV. Used for several years on the Caponord with no issues. Neat install on the TV using one of the angle brackets supplied with the unit. Needed a longer feed tube as the reservoir is located on the opposite side from the chain, Tutoro sell all parts individually so no problem.

Having owned a Scott oilers and an electronic Pro-oiler over the years I've found the Tutoro to be the best solution. No electrical or vacuum connections. Only works when the bike is moving, very simple to adjust the flow. Better and cheaper than a Scott oiler, not better than a Pro-oiler but a lot cheaper and simpler to install.

I had it fitted for about 15K miles on the Capo. Chain adjustment was rarely required, it always kept the chain clean and resistant to corrosion on the links. The front sprocket was looking worn though at 17k miles.

I know the use of chain oilers splits opinion, and I admit I have no hard evidence to claim prolonged chain life. If you are 'anti oiler' that's fine with me.
Attached Images

Onuro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 12:52 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTman View Post
Installed my Tutoro chain oiler on the TV. Used for several years on the Caponord with no issues. Neat install on the TV using one of the angle brackets supplied with the unit. Needed a longer feed tube as the reservoir is located on the opposite side from the chain, Tutoro sell all parts individually so no problem.

Having owned a Scott oilers and an electronic Pro-oiler over the years I've found the Tutoro to be the best solution. No electrical or vacuum connections. Only works when the bike is moving, very simple to adjust the flow. Better and cheaper than a Scott oiler, not better than a Pro-oiler but a lot cheaper and simpler to install.

I had it fitted for about 15K miles on the Capo. Chain adjustment was rarely required, it always kept the chain clean and resistant to corrosion on the links. The front sprocket was looking worn though at 17k miles.

I know the use of chain oilers splits opinion, and I admit I have no hard evidence to claim prolonged chain life. If you are 'anti oiler' that's fine with me.

I did ask myself about a Tutoro. Ordered one, did consider a lot of position, and put it on my wife's bike (Street Triple), where there was a lot more possibilities to place it. And installed a CLS Evo on my TV (which is virtually not visible, unless you look at the rear sprocket). The main problem I see with the Tutoro is that it is quite fragile when the kid's feet are around as passenger (changed the tank 2 times already for this reason): and it's basically at the only place you can position it...

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Established Member

What type of lubricant do you use in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
The oil supplied by Tutoro. Half a litre lasts for thousands of miles. Tutoro go to lengths to put you off using alternatives, claiming that some lubes will damage some of the components in the oiler. Well they would, but the cost of using theirs is not great so not worth the risk really.

They now offer two weights, one for upto ambient of 25 C and one where the ambient ambient is mostly over 25 C. I have used the upto 25 C one without issue in temps between 10 and 35 C. It's easy to adjust the flow by tweaking the control thumbscrew. It is important to remember that the Tutoro does only allow oil to flow when the bike is moving, I guess you could say it is 'semi-automatic'. If fully auto flow control is important, then a different system with a positive displacement electric 'pump' and speed sensing would be a better, but more expensive option.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:42 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTman View Post
The oil supplied by Tutoro. Half a litre lasts for thousands of miles. Tutoro go to lengths to put you off using alternatives, claiming that some lubes will damage some of the components in the oiler. Well they would, but the cost of using theirs is not great so not worth the risk really.

They now offer two weights, one for upto ambient of 25 C and one where the ambient ambient is mostly over 25 C. I have used the upto 25 C one without issue in temps between 10 and 35 C. It's easy to adjust the flow by tweaking the control thumbscrew. It is important to remember that the Tutoro does only allow oil to flow when the bike is moving, I guess you could say it is 'semi-automatic'. If fully auto flow control is important, then a different system with a positive displacement electric 'pump' and speed sensing would be a better, but more expensive option.

Definitely, the CLS Evo (with electronic control of the flow) is much more expensive. But you can fully hide it, and modulate the flow while it rains or according to the roads you are riding (mud, sand). Additionally there is not temperature impact on the flow. Cost is 4-5 times the cost of a Tutoro.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
You pays your money...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 02:37 PM

New Site Garage
I love how those auto-oilers save time on lubing your chain, but what I hate about them is they're messy. And because they make you lazy, most people don't bother cleaning their chain for thousands of miles and the result is a horrible sticky rear wheel with a glue covered chain. Not to mention those fling like there's no tomorrow.

Overdose Moto Garage
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 03:06 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onuro View Post
I love how those auto-oilers save time on lubing your chain, but what I hate about them is they're messy. And because they make you lazy, most people don't bother cleaning their chain for thousands of miles and the result is a horrible sticky rear wheel with a glue covered chain. Not to mention those fling like there's no tomorrow.
That's a legend: chain doesn't need cleaning with auto-oilers, and as for the rear wheel, it's definitely easier to clean than the front wheel, there is nothing sticky on it (which is not the case when you spray grease on the chain, which is including some glue so it sticks to the chain… and as it sticks to the chain, it is also allowing dirt to get sticked on the chain)...

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 03:12 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
That's a legend: chain doesn't need cleaning with auto-oilers, and as for the rear wheel, it's definitely easier to clean than the front wheel, there is nothing sticky on it (which is not the case when you spray grease on the chain, which is including some glue so it sticks to the chain… and as it sticks to the chain, it is also allowing dirt to get sticked on the chain)...
It was just my experience from our shop where we wash and detail motorcycles. The bikes having Scottoiler had insame amount of sticky dirt on their rear wheels and front sprockets. Maybe it was just the owners' lazyness and not much to do with the scottoilers but that was mostly the case for us.

I rather use non-fling chain lubes (putoline tech chain or muc off xtreme lube) on MV since somehow TV itself is more prone to flinging chain lube everywhere compared to other bikes I had.

Overdose Moto Garage
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 02:43 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onuro View Post
It was just my experience from our shop where we wash and detail motorcycles. The bikes having Scottoiler had insame amount of sticky dirt on their rear wheels and front sprockets. Maybe it was just the owners' lazyness and not much to do with the scottoilers but that was mostly the case for us.

I rather use non-fling chain lubes (putoline tech chain or muc off xtreme lube) on MV since somehow TV itself is more prone to flinging chain lube everywhere compared to other bikes I had.

I did used Scottoiler on my previous bikes, and maintained them clean. It's easy to do, and it also allows to do regular checks. Not everyone does that.
Now the key advantage is that I do not need to care about the chain during the week-ends of long rides, and that whatever the weather (and I won't even mention the time I win for the drinks before the dinner :-D)

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode