• 1 Post By esq'z me
  • 1 Post By esq'z me
  • 1 Post By Teeps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
TV Front Wheel Spindle Removal

Sorry if I'm showing my ignorance here.

In my defense I am accustomed to bikes with four front axle pinch bolts. I have some new rubber on order and will be attempting my first tire change on the TVL. In scoping out what I need to do in the work shop manual on the front tire has me a little off balance. If I am reading it correctly, the MV equivalent of pinch bolts, 2 of them are removed from the forks before loosening the spindle nut. After removal of the pinch bolts what keeps the axle from spinning? Do I need a huge hex driver to hold the spindle while backing off the spindle nut? If so what size is it? In the alternative, can remove the spindle side pinch bolt, loosen the spindle nut while the non-spindle nut side pinch bolt is still tight? The Reassembly instructions, likewise have the spindle tightened to 60NM with the spindle pinch bolts not installed until after tightening. Any tips and pointers would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 11:51 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I am not 100% certain of the TV front axle set up, but if there is a recessed hex on one end and an external nut on the other with pinch bolts on both ends, then you can loosen the nut with only the nut side pinch bolts loosened....then loosen the other side pinch bolts and extract the axle. Install in reverse order EXCEPT, after you torque the axle nut loosen all the pinch bolts and move the suspension a few times to let the forks go into alignment. Then torque the pinch bolts.
Lorretto likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Appreciate the guidance. The TV does have the set up with a large hex end on the spindle on opposite the spindle nut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
What you really need is one of these:
\
https://www.ebay.com/p/Motorcycle-To...2179957&chn=ps
Attached Images

Lorretto likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
What you really need is one of these:
\
https://www.ebay.com/p/Motorcycle-To...2179957&chn=ps
Ha!
That's the only "special" tool in common to my Buell XB and MV and I have one!
The front axle nut it's 28mm; found on eBay for <$10 including shipping.
Lorretto likes this.

2016 Turismo Veloce 800

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for the help with this. I splurged and got a CrMo one off Amazon on the way. I bought some big sockets for the KTM: 27mm to 32mm so the 28mm should be ok.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode