Givi Tanklock tank-bags for the Tusrimo - MVAgusta.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Givi Tanklock tank-bags for the Tusrimo

Posted in response to Gero who asked about my experience with these on another thread.

Over the past couple of years and four trips to Europe as well as further weekend and day trips in the UK I've experimented with tank bags, namely three from the Givi Tanklock range. None are absolutely perfect but they're all good, issues are minor and no real barrier to functionality, just design differences.

Size is a consideration, both small and larger have their uses. A huge tank-bag for the TV doesn't really work, the clocks would be obscured and lock to lock requires quite a narrow width anyway. What with the pannier option all I really needed was somewhere to store items that are easily accessible, even when astride the bike (road tolls, passport checks, ferry tickets etc.). Having some supplementary space, as I discovered on my first continental trip in 2016, would be handy when staying at the same hotel to enable a day riding without the panniers. At the time I was using the ST602 which only has a 4 litre capacity. On that occasion I was lucky as a friend offered to carry my waterproofs. Next time abroad and with this in mind I purchased the XS307, this worked well and had side pockets that the ST602 (and ST603) lacks. However, the shape (flat base) doesn't suit the fuel tank shape. Enter the ST 603 which I bought at the end of last year and only used for the first time over the last couple of weeks. This suits the TV tank shape as if it were made specifically for the bike, like the XS307, it can expand from about 6-7 litres to a claimed 15 litres. Like the XS307 it neither obscures the instruments or the GPS, I've yet to try it in expanded mode though, and lock to lock of the bars is unhindered.

The XS307 has an inner draw-string closed liner to aid waterproofing beyond the separate cover that came with it. Neither the of the ST models have this feature but possibly given the fact that the zippers on these models are on the side rather than on the top reduces potential ingress of rain/spray. I have used the separate covers on the ST602 and XS307 in torrential rain but have also exposed the bags to lighter rain without and neither have appreciably leaked to the contents within. Significantly the XS307 did allow some moisture in between the outer shell and the inner draw-string liner where some paperwork stashed there got damp.

The two outer side pockets on the XS307 are useful for easy access to passport, toll money/tickets, credit card for fuel as well as a side-stand puck. The ST models, with their mobile phone window, incorporate a securely Velcro attached cover incorporating a zipped pocket. This is quite small but can be used for money, toll ticket and a credit card.

All of these models incorporate a wire port to allow charging a phone etc. from the TV's USB port below the instruments.

ST602

Key fits into recess under the bag, possibly light contact. Wire port can also be seen.

In this image you can see that Tanklock release, to the right of the base, is easily accessible.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Last edited by Bumpkin; 04-02-2018 at 04:20 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bumpkin For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
XS307

You can see that I have added a cord to the Tanklock release as, especially with a gloved hand, it's not that easy to reach.
You can clearly see that the shape isn't suited to TV fuel tank.

Light contact with key. Bag fore and aft positioning is adjustable in steps.

Chas
The Following User Says Thank You to Bumpkin For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
ST603

Bigger brother to the ST602 with a taller lid as well as an expanding section.

Additionally a sculptured shape that perfectly matches the TV fuel tank without making contact with the paint.

Key makes contact with a raised rim on the plastic base plate of the bag. I'll be taking a file and/or dremmel to this before my next ride.

Anti theft security of all these tank-bags is questionable. Any attempt to lock them to the bike would easily be defeated by a knife to cut the strap or force to break any plastic drilled to accept a cable. The zippers on the ST models have eyelets to accept a small padlock but this is very much 'security light'. They all have comfortable carrying handles as well as being supplied with a shoulder strap that attached with the plastic D rings.

The Tanklock system is secure, in terms that it engages and is only removable by using the release.

Other similar designs such as from SW Motech are available.
Gero HH, Gero HH, Marko G. and 1 others like this.

Chas

Last edited by Bumpkin; 04-02-2018 at 04:24 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bumpkin For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:40 PM

New Site Garage
Hello Chas,
thank you very much for the detailed description of the tank bags. I appreciate it! It's a pity you can't get the key without taking off your tank bag.

But as you said, you can't have it all.

Happy Easter to you and the hole forum :-)
Marko G. and Marko G. like this.

Gero
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero HH View Post
It's a pity you can't get the key without taking off your tank bag.
Once you see how easy it is to remove and replace the bag from the ring you'll appreciate that it's less of an issue than you think it might be.
Gero HH and Gero HH like this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 05:30 PM

New Site Garage
I will need to take some pics of the XS306 (25 liters) and the XS319(3 liters) to complete the picture (will add them at some point in this post).

The XS306 is quite similar to the XS307, but it's bigger, and it does not obstruct the clocks. And the 25 liters are just enough for a two days ride including a sleep bag and the minimal set of equipment (including a few tools and a tire repair set).

The XS319 is very small. Simply said: wallet, phone, tire repair set, sun glasses, half liter bottle.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:17 AM

New Site Garage
And I will do some photos of my SW Motech...
Pockomoth and Pockomoth like this.

Gero
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 12:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Pockomoth Send a message via MSN to Pockomoth Send a message via Yahoo to Pockomoth
Quote:
And I will do some photos of my SW Motech...
Thanks for all of you, there's not really a seat bag that doesn't kill the looks of our sweet TV, so tank bag options are welcome.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:56 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockomoth View Post
Thanks for all of you, there's not really a seat bag that doesn't kill the looks of our sweet TV, so tank bag options are welcome.
This seat bag for a day trip locks good and is matching...
Attached Images

Gero
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Pockomoth Send a message via MSN to Pockomoth Send a message via Yahoo to Pockomoth
Quote:
This seat bag for a day trip locks good and is matching...
That is a nice looking one. Buy I also have a bum hip, hard to get a leg over all that, mostly with it on the center stand. Tank bag works better for me.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode