pin code ? - MVAgusta.net
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
MrG
Established Member

pin code ?

I went to start my bike up today bearing in mind it hasn't been started for a few weeks and on turning on the ignition it came up with "enter pin code" and some digits for me to enter a code ..I didn't know the code at the time so I turned off the ignition and then back on again and it came up again !!!??.. I turned it off again and then on and it came on normal ??..
Any ideas why it may have done this and what is the purpose of the pin code ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:41 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
I went to start my bike up today bearing in mind it hasn't been started for a few weeks and on turning on the ignition it came up with "enter pin code" and some digits for me to enter a code ..I didn't know the code at the time so I turned off the ignition and then back on again and it came up again !!!??.. I turned it off again and then on and it came on normal ??..
Any ideas why it may have done this and what is the purpose of the pin code ?
The pin code is supposed to be on a card that is delivered with the keys of the bike. The pin code is required each time you need to set a new key if I understood well. And the ECU request the code when it doesn't sense the immobilizer RFID which is in the key. I've seen the pin request a few time, and generally, the single fact of turning the key off and back on was enough to get the message disappeared.
Teeps, Teeps and Duc-Mike like this.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
MrG
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
The pin code is supposed to be on a card that is delivered with the keys of the bike. The pin code is required each time you need to set a new key if I understood well. And the ECU request the code when it doesn't sense the immobilizer RFID which is in the key. I've seen the pin request a few time, and generally, the single fact of turning the key off and back on was enough to get the message disappeared.
Thanks ...Did concern me at the time and I have found the card with the code ..Good old italian querks I suppose .. I do have and old Vespa and a lambretta so I am used to Italian unpredictability
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 01:29 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Thanks ...Did concern me at the time and I have found the card with the code ..Good old italian querks I suppose .. I do have and old Vespa and a lambretta so I am used to Italian unpredictability
Italian unpredictability
My first italian vehicle was an Alfa Romeo 147. At some point the electric condamnation of the doors did not work anymore.
Went to the dealer.
Mechanic asked me to open the engine door, unplugged the battery, counted up to 5, plugged in the battery back, asked me to try again.
It worked, no issue anymore.
Asked for reason.
Mechanic in chief looked at me, and took his most serious tone: "you know, We, at Alfa Romeo, we are used to have customer expecting some issues time to time then We, at Alfa Romeo, included a random issue generator in the code of the ECU. This is a feature so our most loyal customers don't get lost with a car which works without having hiccups anymore."
Italian unpredictability...
Teeps, Teeps, Gero HH and 4 others like this.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarcSilverTriple; 02-05-2018 at 12:20 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 05:11 PM

Same thing happened to my Turismo, one time, when I was showing to a friend.
Cycling the ignition lock restored normal operation.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:04 AM

New Site Garage
Perhaps, we all have this problem from time to time!!

Gero
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:08 AM

New Site Garage
Low battery
Duc-Mike likes this.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:05 AM

New Site Garage
Maybe a low battery, but I had it as well with a new Lithium Battery...

In my opinion: when u turn on the ignition the dashboard need to recognize the chip in the key... for some reason the dashboard can not recognize the chip... then the "pin look" turn on. At this time you can put the code in to start the bike!! So If you on the road and your key get broke for example then u can get an spare key without a chip an u can drive the bike with putting the code in.

Has the dashboard not recognize the chip, then just turn the bike off and 2 sek. later on again and it will work.

There is also a problem, when u lose you key or he get broken and u want to replace the Key with the chip in it, it will not work!!
You need to buy the dashboard unit as well to get the new Keys working again...
(About this was an article in the Motor Magazine here in Germany...)
MrG and MrG like this.

Gero

Last edited by Gero HH; 02-05-2018 at 03:09 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:26 AM

I to have had the same problem during the early weeks of ownership, ignition on and off seemed to cure mine and it has not happened since.
MrG and MrG like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
MrG
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero HH View Post
Maybe a low battery, but I had it as well with a new Lithium Battery...

In my opinion: when u turn on the ignition the dashboard need to recognize the chip in the key... for some reason the dashboard can not recognize the chip... then the "pin look" turn on. At this time you can put the code in to start the bike!! So If you on the road and your key get broke for example then u can get an spare key without a chip an u can drive the bike with putting the code in.

Has the dashboard not recognize the chip, then just turn the bike off and 2 sek. later on again and it will work.

There is also a problem, when u lose you key or he get broken and u want to replace the Key with the chip in it, it will not work!!
You need to buy the dashboard unit as well to get the new Keys working again...
(About this was an article in the Motor Magazine here in Germany...)
I suppose with that in mind if you travel abroad and was worried about losing your key and being stranded you could get a spare key cut and hide it on the bike and then at worse case if I was to lose my actual key I could then with the use of the added key code at least get home... Just a thought
Gero HH and Gero HH like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode