List of issues to look for on a 2016 TV Lusso - MVAgusta.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
List of issues to look for on a 2016 TV Lusso

I am seriously considering getting a new 2016 TV to keep company to my Brutale. The bike I am looking for has 8 miles on it and therefore none of the potential issues have been sorted out by the previous owner and those will end up on my plate. I have read many reviews and I have no doubt I will fall in love with her too but I couldn't find a comprehensive list or summary of the items I will have to get replaced. This would come with a 2 year warranty so I am thinking I could have all of that addressed in one fell swoop before I pick her up from the dealer and save myself some headaches during the upcoming riding season.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Edit: Or should I simply spend a bit more cash and get a 2017 model with less headaches?

Last edited by pierre.poilane; 01-07-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 02:04 PM

New Site Garage
Hi Pierre

If you ride in the rain expect the rear indicators to fill with water and fail shortly afterwards. I'm not sure if the current ones have been improved in this regard, the ones fitted by the dealer to replace mine weren't. I wound up carefully drilling small holes in the very bottom of the black plastic indicator body. That was at around 3,000 miles and now at 12,000 these replacements, that were full of water before drilling, are working without issue despite riding numerous times in the rain since.

There was a service bulletin related to changing some dampers in the clutch, if not done then get the dealer to do this before you collect the bike. There will also be a ECU firmware/map update due if not done.

Cush drive rubbers tend to only last about 3-4,000 miles, easy to DIY change and cheap (around 10 GBP). Whilst there check the torque of the nut on the sprocket side, mine has been found loose twice (despite being pinned) so I now check it regularly.

If it hasn't had the official headlamp loom upgrade this is well worth the minimal cost (12 GBP) and an hour to fit. Means both high and low beam are on when on high beam, not just the narrow spot-light high beam. If you ride after dark it's a distinct improvement. I think this is fitted to more recent TVs.

Again rain related but my quick shift sensor failed, swapped out by dealer under warranty. Not sure if replacement is any better in this regard, has been exposed to rain and still working after about 4,000 miles.

That's it as far as I'm concerned. Sprag can potentially fail, as per usual on the 3 cylinder MVs. Fitted a AntiGravity battery on mine for more energetic starting and no problems thus far.

Other accessories I've added. Puig touring screen (good upgrade IMHO, YMMV), R&G rad guard (essential with half front fender), R&G crash bungs and front spindle bungs and an HP Corse Hydro Tre exhaust.

Good luck.
mva2017 and mva2017 like this.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
The Following User Says Thank You to Bumpkin For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thank you very much. You just validated both my initial list of potential troubles to look for as well as my list of accessories. We have very little rain here in California so I am less concerned about the excessive-moisture-induced-gremlins you might face in your neighborhood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 02:55 PM

New Site Garage
There is also the clutch sensor/switch to mention. The part number definitely changed. It is quit common that he fails also.
My Qs was replaced 3 times now!! and the warranty is ending in Feb.... so after that I will go for an after market QS from HM!!
My indicators (rear) was 2 times replaced... still moisture in it.. an dirty at the bottom, because I drilled a small hole in it, to release the water...
now I changed the indicators to after marked ones from "Kellermann" in black.. will make a new thread after...
and as I worked on it, I've seen that the license plate light was flickering and moisture also in it.. so I will change the LED light as well, after that I will make some pictures an a new thread !!

Gero
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 04:12 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre.poilane View Post
I am seriously considering getting a new 2016 TV to keep company to my Brutale. The bike I am looking for has 8 miles on it and therefore none of the potential issues have been sorted out by the previous owner and those will end up on my plate. I have read many reviews and I have no doubt I will fall in love with her too but I couldn't find a comprehensive list or summary of the items I will have to get replaced. This would come with a 2 year warranty so I am thinking I could have all of that addressed in one fell swoop before I pick her up from the dealer and save myself some headaches during the upcoming riding season.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Edit: Or should I simply spend a bit more cash and get a 2017 model with less headaches?
Hello,

8 miles. Is the bike considered new or is it considered used ? if you get the full warranty, it should be fine. Be aware that some of the service bulletins applies only depending on the serial number (many of them only apply to 2015 MY models), and some require to be applied that the bike has run a certain mileage (I saw some which require the bike being more than 5000 km). So ultimately, with the warranty, you should consider giving the bike enough run to take benefit of the warranty support to fiabilise the bike (consider at least 10000 km over the two years, considering that the shifter usage may very well reduce the use of the clutch and making issues late to appear in this area - clutch slave cylinder suspect on mine (2015 model) at 13500 km). Check the production date as well. First batches of production are 2014 (Edition One mainly), then there was a few batches of production in 2015 and 2016, and first 2017 Euro 4 specs got produced in late 2016 (black engine casing).

Regarding the 2017 models, they are Euro 4, and the engine casing in black... However, when looking at exhausts (if you consider that): most of the exhaust out there are approved for Euro 3 model. I have no clue about Euro 4 (they are never mentioned). I suspect there is no changes on this aspect, but it is worth a check...
mva2017 and mva2017 like this.

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Danke Gero, merci Marc.

The bike will come with a 2 year warranty so this should minimize my exposure quite a bit. I am getting it from a brand new dealer to the MV network. So new that they're still waiting for their tool kit in order to be able to service bikes of the marque. I want to make sure in my conversations with them that they're aware and ready for service bulletins for that model.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:33 PM

Purchased my lusso Nov 2015. And though I have seen some issues listed on the forum, I have had only 1 problem. It was the "clutch switch". It was replaced under warrantee. But took some time to get the part. I have 13k miles and I believe 3k of that was in RAIN!! Heavy rain at that. Other than that one issue my bike has performed PERFECTLY!! I guess I have been lucky. I just love it. I have a 2004 Brutale also! Good luck on your decision.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks Korny. My first MV was 2005 Brutale and as much as I love my 1090RR I miss the little one. Shouldn't have sold it. Now looking forward to adding another Italian girlfriend to the garage and discovering what I expect is going to be a very different character.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Well, she's home! Got a few basic parts to get her started (crash bungs, radiator guard and touring screen). What a fun bike! Can't wait to put my office phone on do not disturb and shut down down the laptop for a few days while we stretch our legs on the coast and the Sierras.
Attached Images

esq'z me, esq'z me, Teeps and 13 others like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Established Member

Don't forget the Iphone app. I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qGNz6s8JOdc

I've got the same Puig screen with small foil/deflector and found that it provided
an improvement over the standard Puig screen for long distance riding.

If I'm not mistaken the Clutch Dampener TSB recommended 3000 miles prior to
replacing the clutch dampeners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode