buying a used lusso - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

buying a used lusso

ive got my sights on a 16 Lusso. pretty sure i'm going to buy it. 6 k miles on the clock. so what is the actual clutch failure mechanism? all the clutches i'm familiar with are pretty simple. is it a failure of the master or slave cylinder or something else? ive been reading but nobody has described what is actually going on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 03:18 AM

New Site Garage
Clutch failure? There are sometimes, rarely, issues with the clutch pressure switch. The slipper clutch, I believe it's that, has occasional odd behaviour pulling away when hot. The bite point can be a bit strange with a bit of give at the lever. There was a service bulletin with some new parts for the clutch. Didn't seem to make any difference to mine. None of these detract from the bike and as a list make it sound bad, which it isn't. Up and down quick shifter makes the clutch redundant a lot of the time.

Test ride the bike and make your own mind up.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 AM
Established Member

I have a 2016 Lusso with 8000 miles on it and have never had any type of clutch problem. There was a service bulletin issued by MV that required installation of revised rubber clutch basket dampeners which was done to my bike. This seemed to quiet the clutch down a bit while riding at very low rpm. From my perspective, nothing is going on.

If the bike you are considering purchasing has warranty, that should help with some peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
Clutch failure? .....Test ride the bike and make your own mind up.
Bet someone mentioned a starter sprague clutch failure ...... happens but general opinion is mostly related to battery status.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden View Post
Bet someone mentioned a starter sprague clutch failure ...... happens but general opinion is mostly related to battery status.
On the Turismo Veloce? who has had this problem?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 12:19 AM

New Site Garage
Ah, starter clutch. OK, as said above I haven't heard of one going on a Turismo yet, though that obviously doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Decent battery maintenance I believe to be key to this. Use the included battery render or even better buy a LiPo battery, along with a suitable tender for stronger starting. The TV uses the same starter clutch as the other MV triples so it is theoretically a weak point although it will be one of the more recent designs.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastspy View Post
On the Turismo Veloce? who has had this problem?
Mine has been replaced for one, and my dealer (service manager) said he had done 2 others on Turismo’s he has sold. Began clattering like ice in a blender and flat out wouldn’t start when oat got below 50F.

Last edited by TPadden; 11-25-2017 at 07:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TPadden For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Established Member

That is interesting that one dealer has had three issues and replacements.

What is the name of the dealer that did the work? Sounds like they are experienced in this issue.

Was your TV a 2015 or 2016?

By your previous post "Bet someone mentioned a starter sprague clutch failure ...... happens but general opinion is mostly related to battery status." It sounded like you were making reference to someone else making this claim, not yourself.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastspy View Post
That is interesting that one dealer has had three issues and replacements.

What is the name of the dealer that did the work? Sounds like they are experienced in this issue.

Was your TV a 2015 or 2016?

By your previous post "Bet someone mentioned a starter sprague clutch failure ...... happens but general opinion is mostly related to battery status." It sounded like you were making reference to someone else making this claim, not yourself.
Tampa Eurocycle, 2016, was a pretty simple process, they already had a replacement starter clutch in stock, and they knew enough about it to recommend I get a Lithium battery.

Only other warranty problem I had they also had already seen on other MV's - fuel level sensor failure, and also handled it promptly with no hassle.

Last edited by TPadden; 11-25-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode