Running report update - MVAgusta.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Running report update

So, Iíve now been on some longer trips with the TVL, and had the 4,000 mile service done, together with some new Michelin Pilot Road 4s fitted, in preparation for a trip to the Swiss Alps next week :-)

I took the bike on a 800-mile camping trip based in Aviemore a fortnight ago, as a test bed for the big Euro trip. It performed superbly, except for a hissy fit leaving for the ferry, when the hazard lights and ABS light stayed on after stalling. Fortunately we managed to find the secret button combination to reset them. I also got the occasional request for a PIN code on restarting after a stop. The engine started to free up noticeably as the trip unfolded, with greater smoothness all-round and less rattling. Iím still getting used to the slipper clutch, as I canít seem to trust it enough compared to previous bikes.

The panniers were particularly impressive, gobbling up all my camping gear (bar the large tent, carried by a mate) as I didnít have a tail pack or tank bag. I used cheap Poundland rucksacks as liners, which fitted perfectly and made packing/unpacking a lot easier.

I fitted an iPhone 7 plus waterproof case and top clamp mount so I could use it for sat nav duties. Added to a Puig touring windshield these made a big difference to comfort and usability. I use the TomTom Go app, which has an excellent interface and full European maps, and a few bike-friendly options for route planning. The Puig windscreen creates a clean air zone at the elevated setting, making it a less tiring place to be for extended journeys at high speed.

Being a shortie Iíd also fitted the Lust Racing 25mm lowering links, and these made a big difference in boosting confidence on unknown roads - you really donít want to be caught off-guard on the Stelvio Pass when a vehicle coming the other way misjudges a hairpin bend!

Fuel economy and range seems good, with a realistic range of well over 200 miles. The seat was the comfiest Iíd experienced over many decades of biking, with just a few twitches after a day in the saddle. Iím interested in trying the slightly lower comfort seat with the gel insert, but I like the ability to slide around the seat so I can have at least one foot firmly planted on the ground.

I loved the quickshifter, and it really added to the fun when in the mood for spirited riding. The cruise control proved very worthwhile as so many roads, even in Scotland, are now subject to average speed cameras or roadworks. Weíve a few long days to cover the miles down to Switzerland next week, so hopefully cruise control will come into its own then.

I havenít been able to find a suitable place to mount an action camera - too many curves and sharp angles. My previous Ducati ST3 was great because you could use the mirrors as they were mounted to the nose fairing. With the TVL thereís nowhere thatís high enough to avoid getting the prominent windshield in view. I tried suction cups attached to the front and side fairings, but these all fell off in the changing temperatures during a long riding day. Might have to use the helmet as a last resort, but I was hoping to power the camera from one of the usb sockets.

I was following the thread on top boxes and mounts, so I enquired about the purported redesigned pillion grab rail. The staff at Cupar Motorcycles were a little sceptical that the new version would automatically come with top plate mounting holes as they thought that MV would have to offer the plain version anyway. I asked them to check with the factory and let me know.

I found the factory fit Pirellis didnít have a particularly good feel at the front, whilst the rear was noticeably squared off by 2300 miles. The favoured sticky Metzelers were out of stock so I plumped for Road Pilot 4s. These have more feel and should prove ideal in changeable conditions, as well as lasting much longer. Pressures were stated as 38psi, front and rear, with me having panniers mounted. The chain was slackened off because Iíd fitted the lowering links.

The 4,000 mile annual service came in at £221, taking 3 hours. It stated the software had been updated. There was apparently a slight oil leak afterwards so an O-ring was replaced and checked, with all being fine the second time. A slight panic ensued when the ABS light remained on after driving away, but I just had to enable ABS. There were no specific parts replaced or modified other than service items.

Stopping off at Shirlaws in Aberdeen yesterday saw the TVL draw much attention and many admiring glances. The only reservations were on the price of such beauty - I wonder whoís buying them now and whether theyíll quietly go back to being a much more niche manufacturer?

With the bike fully checked and serviced, fresh rubber and touring accoutrements fitted Iím just about set for my first proper TVL big trip. Hopefully itíll be just what the TVL was made for!

MV Turismo Veloce Lusso
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 03:17 AM

New Site Garage
Cripes,

Nice article, enjoy the trip.

Deano
The Following User Says Thank You to Deano For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 03:30 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Good write up - thanks
Motocorsa were told that the grab rail will be supplied in 2 variants , drilled and non-drilled. They've ordered 4 of the drilled if i remember correctly to satisfy a few of their customers. 4 week delivery
As a newbie to MV i have no experience of whether they keep to these promises/schedules
Cripes and Cripes like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Established Member

I mounted a GoPro Session under the nose. Without checking to see if it was necessary, I modified a Hero4 windsock and there is much less wind noise than on the pannier mounted Hero4s with windsocks. Also, the nose mounted camera does much better recording the exhaust note.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko The Sane For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 04:45 PM

New Site Garage
Good write up Cripes. A trip to the continent, just getting out of the UK, is a tour in itself for you. Have a great trip and if by chance you're crossing via the chunnel (doubt it from your location) on Tuesday morning I might see you on there

The key-code thing, mine does that every now and again. Cycling the ignition has always solved it thus far. I think it's the sensor, for some reason, not managing to the detect the immobiliser chip in the key.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Last edited by Bumpkin; 07-02-2017 at 04:47 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
Have a great trip and if by chance you're crossing via the chunnel (doubt it from your location) on Tuesday morning I might see you on there
Thanks Bumpkin - as you might have guessed, we're on the Newcastle-Amsterdam ferry. Luckily, there are some great roads down to the ferry so we will be making the most of our dash down.

Look forward to comparing notes on our return!

MV Turismo Veloce Lusso
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripes View Post
It performed superbly, except for a hissy fit leaving for the ferry, when the hazard lights and ABS light stayed on after stalling.
If you power up the TVL by turning the ignition key (with the side stand up) but do not start the bike up before turning the ignition key off the next time you turn the ignition on the flashers will automatically come on. And stay on. IMHO, the bike thinks it has stalled due to some hazard condition thus flashers are warrantied.

They are easy to switch off though: There is a somewhat "hidden" button on the front bottom of the left hand-side switch cluster that turns hazard flashers on and off. Next time the flashers turn on by themselves, just click this button any they will be off.

The first time it happened it puzzled me too.

2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso
2014 Ducati Monster 1200S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:10 AM

Great writeup! Can you tell us more details about mounting a GoPro below the nose fairing?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwandree View Post
...Can you tell us more details about mounting a GoPro below the nose fairing?
The Session is mounted with the shortest arm to give some distance and up/down angle adjustment. I modified a Hero windsock to work with the Session, but it can be tricky to cover the three microphone holes in the upper left corner (looking at the front) without getting the sock in the frame. I do have a little bit of the front fender in the frame so that it's obvious the video was taken from a bike.

I like the idea of the light bar there but doubt there's enough room for both.

I have camera mounts on both panniers and it's cool to have each side of the bike in the frame, but synchronization in post can try the patience of a saint.

HTH

Last edited by Wonko The Sane; 07-10-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Looked at what I did and it didn't match what I said.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 PM

What surface did you attach the mount to under the nose?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode