Garmin 595 Navigator new Installation - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Garmin 595 Navigator new Installation

I couldn't easily get my hands on a factory GPS and mount from MV so I went the aftermarket route. First I bought the Garmin 595 LM, which was cheap when purchased with points from my Amex card. It comes with a mounting bracket and a Ram mount but I wanted the custom look. For the handlebar mount I used this: S-R1 Universal Ultra Compact Metric Triple Clamp GPS Mount from Motorcycle GPS & Device Mounts for BMW, Ducati, Honda, Yamaha Suzuki - mounting solutions for electronic devices | MotoGPS | Clamp mounts, GPS mounts, RAM mounts | motogps.com.au | Australia

The mount is spectacular and I was shocked when I ordered it online from Australia last Sunday and it was delivered here in Houston on Friday. It matches the aluminum mounts for the handlebars and comes with several mounting bolts and spacers to allow you to set the screen in any angle or height you want. My setup allows the GPS to be comfortably underneath the view of the dashboard screen. Once tightened down its solid as a rock but note it has built in rubber spacers for the Garmin mounting bracket which act as a shock or vibration absorber.

Once all tightened down I added my radar detector, a Valetine one with front, rear and side protection. For that I used a Quad Lock Out Front mounting bracket and a stick on adapter which goes on the detector. Take a look at the finished cockpit, I think it came out rather well.

Take care guys.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:49 AM

New Site Garage
That mount looks beautifully engineered and a secure way to mount your GPS. The 590/595 Zumos are pretty large and fitting them into the Turismo cockpit is difficult without obscuring something.

I have a 590 but use a tank bag so I'm not sure if the mount you've used would work. I went for a RAM mount in the end, have used this system on previous bikes and it works well.

above taken before I got the 590, I already had the RAM parts so was an easy no cost option

My tank bag is a small Givi one though I've just ordered a bigger one from the same Givi Tanklock range as I have a series of three European trips planed for this year. I hope that my current mount will work without fouling this.

How are you getting on with the 595? I used to run a 660, with several other m/c Garmins before, and find that it works in a different way. It has a few foibles by comparison. It still works well but these issues can make using it a bit frustrating at times.

Last edited by Bumpkin; 04-24-2017 at 08:31 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:52 AM

New Site Garage
Hi Markammerman,

I do have the MV mount for my Zumo 340, but before, I used a Ram Ball fixed on the same bolt than the one used in first picture. The advantage of those is you can use different length of arm to mount the GPS, making it easy to find the right position.

With your mount, I suspect you can't use a tank bag (both for visibility and positioning the tank bag)... But that is also question of personal use, and looking at what is fitted on your left panier, I guess they are both fitted all the time...

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 03:23 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSilverTriple View Post
I do have the MV mount for my Zumo 340
Can you adjust the screen with this, with the GPS mounted, in place? Having looked at one of these mounts in a showroom I was put off by that aspect.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
The S-R1 mount shown on their web page seems just like the original OEM solution, maybe you could also use it at the position on the screen instead on the handelbar. Have you tried this solution? I also wonder what is the price for the OEM solution and what is the part number to order if anyone knows?

Turismo Veloce 2016
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
Can you adjust the screen with this, with the GPS mounted, in place? Having looked at one of these mounts in a showroom I was put off by that aspect.
Well, I can adjust the screen with the GPS mounted in place. It's even possible while riding, but it is difficult, cumbersome, and I'm actually stopping to do it. But I do not actually move the screen very often : i like the wind to remind me a bit of the speed, and actually use the upper position only when on highway, and I simply change the position of the screen before and after.

And I prefer the position of the GPS where it is now. And the ball mount is still there on the handlebar, ready to receive the phone, just in case (it may be overkill, but I remember the lead rider of a group having his GPS constantly rebooting and no way to guide us anymore at some point - we fixed the issue during lunch, thanks to someone having a laptop, a Usb cable, being able to extract the gpx from his GPS memory and put it on another one - since I have the GPS, I keep the phone with an application able to do the job with me, just in case).

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode