thanks and goodbye - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

thanks and goodbye

Thanks for the advice over the last year I've only spoke to a few of you, I've decided to change manufacturers only due to the worry that if something went wrong I'd be left with an ornament in the garage. Lovely bikes shame about the support. Safe riding guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Established Member

I'm getting closer to buying a sport/touring bike and I have the same worries...it makes the Yamaha look pretty good...

If your phone isn't ringing..it's probably me!...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Yes, well if I was looking to buy at this moment in time, I don't think I would buy the TVL either. My second choice was the KTM 1290 GT.
MVAGUSTA USA are legally obliged to supply and fit all warrenteed parts to the bikes that have been sold. But the question is "when". Iv'e been waiting 8 months at this point- so who would knowingly get into a mess like this, if you have other options.
I'll be trying to get an extended warranty on the the failed parts , because at this point some parts only lasted a month and there has been no replacements.
Good luck in your search- there is alot to choose from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Established Member

I'm looking very seriously at the superduke GT, it cost less and it has a larger engine. I think it would be better for long hauls on the freeway doing 80-90 m.p.h. the tourismo's 800 c.c. engine will have to buzz a little harder..dependability? the superduke may not be any better and the tourismo is better looking. I haven't done any test rides yet to see which one has better wind protection but to me, the mv looks like it has a fuller fairing...closer to a true touring bike like the B.M.W. and I am looking at that bike too..i am also wondering which bike rides better, the tourismo is pretty short, so it might be a little choppier on the freeways..can anybody tell me how much r.p.m's it is doing at the 80-85m.p.h. range?..Im not interested in a large touring motorcycle, I'm 5-9 155lbs. and I travel solo so I like the handling of the smaller touring bikes, it's better in the hills and around town and the lighter weight is easier to move around....thanks for any replies..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:09 AM

Having owned a Pikes Peak Multistrada, ridden the BMW and read the reviews/comments on the KTM, it is difficult to compare them with the MV for the very reasons you have stated i.e. smaller engine, shorter wheelbase, weight etc. (not to mention it is by far a better looking bike than the KTM!). However I found all the above bikes to be too big for what I use them for. I liked my MS1200 a lot, but I personally found it was too big and heavy for short hauls and daily trips to work.

I think the TV fills a hole for those people that want a bike for everyday use, but can also be loaded up for that extended trip away that is going to be primarily through biking back roads as opposed to pounding out the miles on the motorways/highways. However, if I were regularly going away for weeks at a time and putting 8--10,000 miles on my bike each year, then I would have brought the BMW.

For me the MV is the perfect bike for what I need it for, the odd local ride out, trips to work and long weekends away in France. I would caveat this by my increasing annoyance with the apparent lack of support the dealer network gets from the factory. I know there were/still are financial issues, but the supply chain of parts is plain and simple the primary factor for any manufacturer in retaining the loyalty of their dealer network to the brand and thereafter consumer confidence.

Stuck on a rock off the coast of France

Last edited by JerseyBrut; 01-22-2017 at 03:23 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Established Member

MCN Fleet: KTM Super Duke GT's Imperfect 10 | MCN
it allways looks greener in the other pasture..every bike I have checked into has problems that riders complain about after owning them for a while, the K.T.M. has many the B.M.W. has a lot of problems too as do the yamahas...just go to there forums and you can read complaints just like on the m.v. forum. if you judged your new bike by this you would never buy one! it's good to read about the good things sometimes.."boris on bikes" has a youtube page that bashes the tourismo pretty hard, it does make you think before forking out $20,000+ for a motorcycle...JerseyBrute!!..thanks for the reply it was very good..

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:42 PM

I've seen a KTM engine Blow at a track day. Spilled oil onto the rear tyre, subsequently the rider crashed and the bike caught fire. Worst self inflicted damage I've ever seen at my ride days. Rider was okay.

But anyway, I digress, I can see exactly why you like the KTM, it's got the same draw cards as an MV Agusta. Both unique brands with individuality. Unfortunately I think it's tit for tat. If you want an improvement on the after sales, you are probably not going to fare much better with the KTM!!! Why not go for a Ducati?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:29 PM

K-Keeps
T-Taking
M-Money

Brutale 800 Italia
Monster 796 .
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:10 PM
Established Member

So far, I think the "best buy' might be the MOTO GUZZI NORGE GT...$16,000 and some change..It's not the most powerful in the H.P. department but it does have a boat load of torque and going by some of the reviews I've read it will run a lot of miles and last a long time. Being air cooled keeps it simple and cheaper to maintain too...I think it's pretty good looking and the price makes it affordable as a second bike. any thoughts? If you know a little about this bike please share...I wont trade in my dragster rr for it though, but I might for the veloce lusso..

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Established Member

I have had a few Guzzi's and if you get a good one they will go forever. The Norge is heavy if that bothers you but comfortable on a long run. One major issue is that the 8V engines have had big problems with cam failure. You need to make sure the Norge has roller cam followers. Google 'Guzzi 8V cam failure' and make your mind up'. There have also been issue with dash failures due to moisture getting inside.
One other note. If you think MV are hard to deal with then Piaggio are just as bad. Quite a few UK dealers have packed Guzzi in because of the way they run the business.
To counter that I have had both 2v and 4v 1200 engines(confusingly called 8V) and had no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode