Fender eliminator - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Fender eliminator

I'm absolutely loving this bike, and have put over 1,000 miles on it in the three weeks I've had it. I spent the last 10 years riding an FJR with an Ohlins/Race Tech suspension, Remus exhaust and Power Commander, but I wouldn't trade back for anything.

Has anybody found a kit or devised a way to relocate the license plate and rear directionals up under the tail light to eliminate the rear fender (if that's what it's called)? That's the one design feature I really don't care for.
Teeps and Teeps like this.

Chris
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 02:42 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbesq View Post
Has anybody found a kit or devised a way to relocate the license plate and rear directionals up under the tail light to eliminate the rear fender (if that's what it's called)? That's the one design feature I really don't care for.
I think tail tidy is the term you're looking for. Have been on the lookout for similar myself, even emailed a couple of firms in Italy, only one bothered to reply and that was in the negative.

R&G do a kit that eliminates the fender part but doesn't relocate the reg plate and indicators. Not what I'm looking for.

There's certainly potential for such an item though re-routing the wiring might be an issue for some. Additionally the part would need to be quite long to clear the panniers and still allow their removal so a particularly solid mounting position would be required to cope with the cantilever. Maybe sandwiched between pannier mounting lugs on the subframe?

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Established Member

In the US it's called a fender eliminator, in EU people call it a tail tidy, I think.

2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
The Following User Says Thank You to EvilSteve For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 05:27 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
In the US it's called a fender eliminator, in EU people call it a tail tidy, I think.
Thanks ES, funny lot you 'mericans

Chas
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 12:07 AM

One downside to fitting a tail tidy is the amount of rain and muck flung up by the rear tyre willl dramatically increase.
Not a thing to be doing imho in climates like the UK, so think hard before rushing to try this mod. Might be great in California, not so in my neck of the woods

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:41 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboF4 View Post
One downside to fitting a tail tidy is the amount of rain and muck flung up by the rear tyre willl dramatically increase.
Not a thing to be doing imho in climates like the UK, so think hard before rushing to try this mod. Might be great in California, not so in my neck of the woods
You have a point there Jimbo. Though I'm not convinced that the arrangement as it is out of the factory does a particularly effective job of preventing spray. Relocating the indicators after they all failed due to water ingress was my primary intention. Though moving the plate and eliminating the small mudguard for aesthetic reasons was also in there.

ISTR that this style of rear mudguard came about on the GS originally to satisfy German automotive regulations rather than for a purely practical reason.

Chas
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:15 PM

New Site Garage
Massimo Tamburini, an Italian motorcycle designer called "Michelangelo of motorbike design" and the influence of Castiglioni, in my eye has made a beautiful tail on the TVL. I love what they did with the tag and left the tail clean. The rear is one of its best angles.

I am not a big fan of the panniers, although for panniers, they do look good.

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:00 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrys409 View Post
Massimo Tamburini, an Italian motorcycle designer called "Michelangelo of motorbike design" and the influence of Castiglioni, in my eye has made a beautiful tail on the TVL. I love what they did with the tag and left the tail clean. The rear is one of its best angles.
I believe that Massimo Tamburini wasn't involved with the Turismo, he died from lung cancer in 2014. Adrian Morton was the designer responsible for the TV, although I think he worked with/under Tamburini prior to that.

Chas
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 04:12 PM

Chas is 100% correct, Tamburini was not involved with any of the modern MV designs after the first gen F4, the TV is an Adrian Morton design.

The fender on the TV is functional if not pretty, having ridden the TV in some awful weather it does the job, but I cannot ever say it's a nice feature.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.

Last edited by jimboF4; 11-02-2016 at 04:16 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboF4 View Post
Chas is 100% correct, Tamburini was not involved with any of the modern MV designs after the first gen F4, the TV is an Adrian Morton design.

The fender on the TV is functional if not pretty, having ridden the TV in some awful weather it does the job, but I cannot ever say it's a nice feature.
I totally agree with Jimbo - two weeks ago I rode the TV in a long day of heavy rain, and the rear mud guard (fender?) did a very good job. But its ugly as hell . . .

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode