Seat height and rider - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Seat height and rider

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a TV-L, but I'm a bit worried about the seat height. I sat on one at the dealer and when upright on a level surface, I can just put the tip of my toes of my left foot on the ground while my right foot is on the back brake pedal. My concern is based on stability when stopped, especially if it's very windy or carrying a pillion.

I've only been riding about 4 years / 23,000 kms so don't have huge amount of experience but is the seat height something that I'll be able to get used to? Has anyone ordered the low seat by any chance? I'm 172cm in my birthday suit but I've got short legs ~30 inch inseam.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:36 PM

You can get the bike lowered with a lowering kit. There are a few on the market but MV supply one which does not affect the warranty. you can lower by 25mm, 35mm or even more. This is a better option than the low seat which I understand only has some of the padding removed to reduce height.
mva2017 and mva2017 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dawsor For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 03:36 AM

New Site Garage
Just don't try stopping on a slope and putting your foot down on the wrong side like I did

Sounds to me like you will definitely need the lowering kit.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
The Following User Says Thank You to Bumpkin For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
Just don't try stopping on a slope and putting your foot down on the wrong side like I did

Sounds to me like you will definitely need the lowering kit.
+1
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Established Member

The low seat is only 1cm lower, and I think that's the main seat area. Where you really need it lower is at the nose, but it's already well shaped and narrower there to help get your legs straight when putting a foot down.
Interesting mix of metric and imperial measurements!
I'm 5'7" (170cm), but have 31.5" inside leg, and manage with the standard height (have been caught out a couple of times).
I did originally have a 25mm/1" lowering kit fitted, but replaced it with the standard links.
I think you would definitely need the lowering kit, and drop the forks in the yokes a bit to match.

Neville
Turismo Veloce
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 PM
col

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensta View Post
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a TV-L, but I'm a bit worried about the seat height. I sat on one at the dealer and when upright on a level surface, I can just put the tip of my toes of my left foot on the ground while my right foot is on the back brake pedal. My concern is based on stability when stopped, especially if it's very windy or carrying a pillion.

I've only been riding about 4 years / 23,000 kms so don't have huge amount of experience but is the seat height something that I'll be able to get used to? Has anyone ordered the low seat by any chance? I'm 172cm in my birthday suit but I've got short legs ~30 inch inseam.

Cheers!
find a bike that fits you its safer
funny thing is manufacturers pay a guy/company loadza dosh to design a bike for safety handling etc

buy bike that fits not for its brand

i have a form of dislexia as i have said plenty of time and it dont bother me .................. but im not stupid or a tard so dont try it on

MV Brutale's go faster than a crackheads dole payment and that's fast

I WAS A BIKER BEFORE IT BECAME A FASHION STATEMENT
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
find a bike that fits you its safer
funny thing is manufacturers pay a guy/company loadza dosh to design a bike for safety handling etc

buy bike that fits not for its brand
All it takes is a bit of technique and forward thinking to cope with a higher seat height.

Speaking as a real shortie, I had to take a deep breath the first time I test rode a TV, but smooth braking and shifting around the seat does the trick. The fact that the bike's so narrow and light is a big help. Confidence is everything - if you constantly fear you'll drop it, you probably will!

For me, the Turismo Veloce Lusso is my absolute dream bike, so I was determined to find ways of coping with the higher seat height - and that included getting the Daytona boots with the thicker sole, and the Lust Racing 25mm lowering links.

Rationally, most bikes over 600cc are too big for us shorties - so we have to adapt and be bold - if the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain!

MV Turismo Veloce Lusso
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 02:55 AM
col

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripes View Post
All it takes is a bit of technique and forward thinking to cope with a higher seat height.

Speaking as a real shortie, I had to take a deep breath the first time I test rode a TV, but smooth braking and shifting around the seat does the trick. The fact that the bike's so narrow and light is a big help. Confidence is everything - if you constantly fear you'll drop it, you probably will!

For me, the Turismo Veloce Lusso is my absolute dream bike, so I was determined to find ways of coping with the higher seat height - and that included getting the Daytona boots with the thicker sole, and the Lust Racing 25mm lowering links.

Rationally, most bikes over 600cc are too big for us shorties - so we have to adapt and be bold - if the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain!
so you didnt change the bike

i have a form of dislexia as i have said plenty of time and it dont bother me .................. but im not stupid or a tard so dont try it on

MV Brutale's go faster than a crackheads dole payment and that's fast

I WAS A BIKER BEFORE IT BECAME A FASHION STATEMENT
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
so you didnt change the bike
Don't know whether that's a rhetorical question, but I simply wanted to make the point that rather than discounting a bike, there are things a rider can do to make a bike work for them - usually a mixture of setup tweaks and rider technique and confidence.

Yes, the bike is different from the factory, but there will always be a range of adjustments that a bike can take, some might even be improvements.

MV Turismo Veloce Lusso
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripes View Post
Don't know whether that's a rhetorical question, but I simply wanted to make the point that rather than discounting a bike, there are things a rider can do to make a bike work for them - usually a mixture of setup tweaks and rider technique and confidence.

Yes, the bike is different from the factory, but there will always be a range of adjustments that a bike can take, some might even be improvements.
Yep, the easiest modification is usually a simple attitude adjustment .

Most cruiser riders won't go near anything they can't get both feet flat with bent knees and butt firmly planted, most motocross guys are used to getting one tip toe down when they slide out of the seat. My TV seemed tall at first, but then it made my other bikes seem short. .

Tom

Last edited by TPadden; 10-29-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode