Turn off ABS for Wheelies - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Turn off ABS for Wheelies

I am not riding on the track yet, but on the road, on occasion I like to power wheelie and change gears in the air. On the TVL, which I have only owned for a month, I have to stop and disengage the ABS before the wheelie. On my GS, I could turn off the ABS on the fly. I do not feel the need to wheelie often, but only when riding with a friend or on the occasional after work to release some steam moment.
What do you guys do?

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 02:31 PM

Why would the ABS have anything to do with wheelies?

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Established Member

Turn off traction control for wheelies, I can't see why ABS would cut power while doing a wheelie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Speed hasn't killed anyone, suddenly stopping is the issue."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:27 PM

My bike wheelies with the TC on. Why would TC stop wheelies?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Established Member

Mine does wheelies with TC on as well. I just thought TC could cut in if you do a long enough wheelie for the front wheel to slow down compared to the rear wheel speed.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:59 PM

New Site Garage
Don't think the MV TC looks at front wheel speed just rear, rpm & gear and expected speed from that. Front wheel speed sensor is for ABS.

Current steed - MY16 Dragster RR
Previous Bike - 2008 Triumph Street Triple
Scottish and living it up in South East Spain
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwilliF4 View Post
Mine does wheelies with TC on as well. I just thought TC could cut in if you do a long enough wheelie for the front wheel to slow down compared to the rear wheel speed.
i may be wrong but i thought the TC was just for the rear wheel and its primitive anyway on my F3

F3 800 RC, Aprilia V4 Tuono,Yam RD400F
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksim View Post
i may be wrong but i thought the TC was just for the rear wheel and its primitive anyway on my F3
I very well could be wrong, I'm far from an expert on the electronics on these things. I was purely assuming it takes into account front wheel speed, if it doesn't, than TC would have 0 effect.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I understand ABS is the brakes and I can turn off traction control. On my GS , the ABS, could be turned off while riding and had to be to wheelie. If the ABS was left on and you gassed it in first or second, the front tire would only come up for a split second and the sensors would put the tire back on the ground. I think it was the rear brakes putting the tire back down. I thought I would have to do the same on the TVL. I don't know what the traction control has to to do with the ABS, if anything. I will try it tomorrow with ABS on, traction control on 4 and report back. Surely, I don't have to stop and fiddle with buttons to do a wheelie. I don't really like the feeling of electronics braking my wheelie and was trying to avoid it. I do like the safety features on otherwise.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:49 AM

New Site Garage
Maybe you GS had anti-wheelie? I know the S1000RR did and they might share the same electronics package?

I'm pretty sure the MV's electronics package isn't as sophisticated, for instance the TC does not measure front wheel speed (my Brutale 800 didn't have ABS and so had no front wheel sensors) nor does it measure the bikes learn angle like some other systems.

It does have rear wheel lift mitigation though so if you want to pull a stoppie, you will have to turn off the ABS for that.

My mate had a Panigale and he had to turn off/turn down TC for that to wheelie otherwise the bike would rise up, he'd get 20 yards and it would slam down squashing his nuts on the tank. So I'd guess Ducatis system measures differences between front and rear wheel speeds?

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode