TV suitable for commuting? - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

TV suitable for commuting?

After seeing a Stradale in my local shop a few weeks ago and then finding out about the Turismo Veloce (and researching on this forum), I realised the TV in particular could make a great commuting bike that I would really enjoy every day. Attractive features for commuting include the cunning side cases, long service interval, detuned engine, claimed good fuel economy, custom mapping, and big tank. I'd love to hear from people commuting on the TV, or if you think it is a bad idea!

I'm commuting 82 miles a day on fast country roads in all weather and hoping to change my bike soon. Currently riding a 1994 BMW f650 (48 hp) which does about 140 miles per tank and 55 mpg (UK) [that's about 46 US mpg or 5.1 l/100km]. I would like a bike with more power, better handling, upright position, similar or better economy, good build quality, and more range. I would also like to be able to do all my own servicing and be able to run the bike up to a high mileage (my BMW has over 77,000 miles). The TV has way more power than I need, so I would expect to run it in touring mode all the time, or perhaps set up a custom mode for commuting (anyone do this?). The objective would be to improve fuel economy / extend the tank range.

The strongest other contenders are BMW F800ST / F800GT / F800GS (798cc twins, ~85hp). They are all a sensible choice but boring and inferior in many respects compared to the MVTV. The BMW bikes typically do 55-60 mpg (fuelly website http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/bmw/f800gs) but have a small tank (~16L) which is a major disadvantage when commuting. There are no TV's on the fuelly website and very few MV's. I have checked the threads on this forum regarding fuel economy and could not reach a firm conclusion... I would really like to know how economical it is when kept in touring mode, and what the tank range is. I would also like to know if anyone has run this engine to high mileage (e.g. over 50K miles). Before buying my F650 I checked the mileage of bikes for sale which confirmed they are long term reliable... I haven't managed to find any high mileage MV for sale but it might be because they are rare and people keep them.

Finally thanks for all the info on this forum - having a strong online community is another factor attracting me to this bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 06:48 PM

I would suggest that MV Agusta and commuting are a bit of an oxymoron.
This bikes engine was originally created as a sport bike engine-detuned and some internals changed to give better mid-range torque but the emphysis is still SPORT touring. It relies on fairly high engine speed to work well, and that is not a big plus as a commuter.
I would also suggest that most MV owners would put fuel economy somewhere down in 10 th place on the list of priorities.
Also- the decal on the fuel tank is emphatic that no alcohol based fuels be used in the engine, so every time you fill up you buy the premium gasoline - which is often for me at least 20% more than regular.
There are a huge number of choices of bikes available today that are far better at commuting than this bike is, but they will never come close to all the meaningful experiences that the TV offers.
The Following User Says Thank You to TVLKAWASUKI For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:17 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
The bike will fit your needs. I use it as a daily commuter and weekend warrior. I get around 200 miles to a tank sometimes less with some spirited riding. The bike is super confortable at least for me. The best of all is really fun to ride. The only issue and is a big one for me is getting parts for the bike takes a lot longer than others.

2016 TVL
Las Vegas NV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 11:11 PM

Just got one and took it though the local city traffic snarl to my employers offices. I had the cases off so was getting through narrower gaps than the bars width but with them on it still pretty narrow & I learned my commuting skills in London so used to gridlock crawls. So the bike handle this well though if you do get stuck engine temps can rise pretty quick and the manual doesn't recommend leaving it at idle while stationary as it might over heat. Whilst it's also just a bike not sure how much self service is feasible when valve clearances are needed (due to your annual mileage) but oil/filter changes look easy to do. Saddle height is fairly high but narrow at front and it feels light to me (though last bike was a boat anchor weigh wise). It's a feisty bike to ride which may not suite as it's probably very different to the Bmw . Fuel ? I got over 220miles out of the 1st tank and probably get 200 out of current and I got 20 litres in on my 1st fill (still running it in). And if running all year in all weathers I'd get metal bits done with acf50 (not brakes or exhaust) to hinder corrosion

Last edited by Macduff; 09-23-2016 at 11:15 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 03:13 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
If you ride on a fast country roads like you said, then this bike has plenry fun to offer. In a traffic jam its nimble and light but I don't like it's low speed fueling. This bike just wants to be riden above 3000rpms. If that is not a problem for you I would say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teeps and Teeps like this.

Turismo Veloce 2016
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
So the bike handle this well though if you do get stuck engine temps can rise pretty quick and the manual doesn't recommend leaving it at idle while stationary as it might over heat.
To me this is the only significant factor for commuting. I have commuted on my bike and it is fine - it is quick handling to deal with stupid drivers, and is reasonably narrow for lane splitting. But it really doesn't like sitting at stoplight after stoplight after stoplight. Then again no bike really does, but my GS has more fan/cooling and doesn't mind as much.

Range with lots of city streets is a bit below 200 miles iirc. The mileage is fairly good - 42mpg plus or minus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

'16 MV TV | '16 BMW R1200GSw
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
It's a feisty bike to ride which may not suite as it's probably very different to the Bmw .
Thanks for this which I didn't realise, and similar comment from TVLKAWASUKI pointing out it relies on relatively high engine speed which is not ideal for commuting - I agree.

As for being based on a sport bike engine, I liked this because if the engine can take that abuse it should be rock solid in detuned form as used in this bike (especially if kept in touring mode). Low speed fuelling on the F650 is awful, the MV can't possibly be worse Marko. Fortunately there is not much low speed sections or traffic lights on my current commute, which is why I am feeling the need for a faster bike (but not an actual sportsbike).
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 11:12 PM

You can commute on any bike if you adapt to their character, over the years I've commuted on an TZR125 FZR1000, Ducati 900SL. None were ideal for the London slog but I didn't buy them for that they were bought on a desire to have a bike I liked .
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 12:08 AM

New Site Garage
Perfect bike to commute on. ~200 miles per tank on touring map on motorway and a roads ( I fill up with about 10-30 miles on the reserve counter and it will take 18-19ltrs ) nimble and slim.
I'm on ~14k miles now, the engine is detuned and now makes 80-90% of its torque at 3000rpm and it will happily bimble along without screwing the nuts off it, no need to use super grade fuel as being a commuter the fuel doesn't sit in the tank for any length of time, I switch between super and regular depending on where I fill up.
They do heat up when sitting at lights and filtering for long stretches but cools down quickly when back in the air flow.
As Macduff says if your using it all year treat it with some acf50 and it should keep it looking good through the winter.
But the fun comes at the weekend when you take it out and make it sing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 05:39 AM

New Site Garage
A lot of money to spend on an everyday ride that will rack up the miles. However, if you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket and a desire to ride something exceptional, different and that you'll enjoy every minute on then why not.

There are a few points on my Turismo Veloce that haven't withstood the British climate too well but these aren't going to stop you riding, just be an inconvenience.

All 4 indicators have been replaced, the rears fill with water, the fronts I'm not sure if it was water or vibration as moisture wasn't evident. The replacements are all still going after about 3,000 miles since they were changed. After a wet ride a few weeks ago the rears looked waterlogged and parking in the sun for a day didn't seem to help so I drilled two very fine holes in the bottom of each. Water dripped out for a few minutes and stopped. This last weekend I've covered close to 1000 miles (now on over 5000 in total) with plenty of rain (North Yorks/Northumberland/Scots borders) and all four are still working and are mist free. I don't claim that drilling a hole will make them live forever but reckon that at least letting the moisture that's gotten in out again should at least extend their usability. I have some after-market replacements and materials ready to replace the rears when the time comes.

The quick-shifter stopped working after 1500 miles. I'm convinced it's also water related. My dealer has has a sensor on order for months now but still waiting for that. Clutch-less shifting up and down the box works well without it though.

Should you require parts to keep you moving expect to have to wait for them. The probability of off the shelf availability in the UK is slim, there is no importer, each dealer orders directly from the factory and it seems that they don't carry stock on a lot of items either so the chain can be quite a long one.

These two points aside, not show stoppers for me, I absolutely love the bike. I bought it for touring and recreational riding and personally would be reluctant to commute on it all year round. I would buy a 2nd bike I cared less about for that due to fears about corrosion and water ingress over months of winter riding. ACF50 treatment by an All Year Biker franchise would be the route I'd take if I were proposing to ride mine every day. I'll probably be doing this anyway as foul weather riding doesn't stop me going out for a ride under normal circumstances anyway.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Last edited by Bumpkin; 09-26-2016 at 05:42 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode