Edition 1 purchase - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Wink Edition 1 purchase

Hello all, I'm not an owner yet, but grappling with whether to buy a used TV Edition 1.
As they were first off the line(if MV does have a line?) are there any special problems?
Mainly though I am used to a top case and there appears to be none available.
Givi say the sub frame is not strong enough to support one and good luck with MV making one in the future.
So I'm reluctant to buy it.
All else I can live with as I've owned many Duc's and a few Guzzis so am used to idiosyncrasies.
Oh, to the owner on these forums, who made his own top box, well done, but I'd be a little concerned about loading it up too much.
Still might buy it though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 01:12 AM

Get it bought , you know you want too

I bought the panniers, both sides are the same and you can fit a helmet in either side,

The rear subframe is an alloy casting that carries the rider and passenger, don't know why Givi would say it was weak, unless they're talking about the grab handles,

I've sent off to SW Motech for a tank filler ring so I can use my small tank bag on the TV,
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:00 AM
Established Member

Welcome.
My first MV is the Turismo (also owned Guzzi's) and I have not had any issues so far. Main problems people have reported have been water ingress on the rear indicators causing them to fail. I have used ACF50 on them and so far no failures. The Quickshifter also has a few problems with water ingress, a bit of silicon sealant cures that issue. New models are always going to have problems but so far nothing really bad on the Turismo.
Not sure abut the top case. Maybe Givi mean the area where the grab handles are bolted to is not strong enough? After all the rear sub frame has to take the weight of a pillion. i think if you have a small top case then the home made brackets should be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:28 AM

New Site Garage
I have an Edition 1, there are no specific problems caused by the fact they were apparently the first off the production line. As for the top box they are allegedly developing one for it (don't hold your breath), not sure how much weight you would want in your top box though, I would have thought any weight would be better in the panniers and keep the top box kinda empty to store your helmet and stuff when you stop, and their is also an option of seat/tank bag as well. Like elvisto said both panniers can fit a helmet.
I have 11k on mine and so far had 3 indicators replaced, remote preload bracket replaced, sprag clutch replaced, clutch switch and a radiator (still under investigation as what happened with it) nothing that has happened has stopped me riding or left me stranded, don't know where on the planet you live but as mickr69 says a coating in ACF50 is your friend.
Buy it, enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all. The top case I put raingear, clothing, lightweight stuff in. Maybe time to get rainproof leathers as well. I go for month long trips about 5000kms to Tasmania and backroads and I do take a bit of stuff. Gotta go, I'll finish responding tomorrow. I appreciate the advice so far, time to bite the bullet maybe., David.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 01:01 PM

Givi is full of it - the subframe is plenty strong as it supports a pillion and panniers no problem. Actually someone here made their own top box mount. Actually the fabrication should be pretty straightforward as there are 4 bolts that hold the grab handles and that's where a mount would go. MV supposedly has one designed but their financial woes likely stopped production of it. I have the panniers and just keep my tools/clothes/water in there. They are actually narrower than the bars so very little downside to running them all the time (unless you want to go 120mph).

I'm at 5K miles on mine and only minor issues. I've got a small oil leak on the left side of the case where a cable enters and I've got some air in the cooling system though I think I may have sorted that out. Other than that, it goes like stink. No QS problems, the engine gets smoother and smoother with miles, and I had Dave Moss tweak the suspension so it's handling like a gazelle.

If you want Honda reliability, look elsewhere. There will always be little issues, though most of them are quirks rather than something that leaves you stranded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

'16 MV TV | '16 BMW R1200GSw
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Nostatic, I'm still deciding.
One thing: like all used bikes here in Sydney, they don't sell fast.
I'm going from a fully optioned 2008 1100 Multistrada that still has plenty of life yet, only 22000 km.
I kind of see the TV as the successor to the Multi, in that it is even lighter in weight, and has usable power rather than the over power of the bigger 1200's.
From the all too brief test ride on a dealer ride day last year, at 60km/h and probably 90HP mode, it does lack the torque of the Multi. All else seemed easy due to lack of weight and corner turn in is light.
Givi said the attachment points had to be worked out too.
What I think is they are waiting to see how many TV's sell before committing R&D and tooling. It's a financial commitment and can't blame them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:09 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf57 View Post
I kind of see the TV as the successor to the Multi, in that it is even lighter in weight, and has usable power rather than the over power of the bigger 1200's.
From the all too brief test ride on a dealer ride day last year, at 60km/h and probably 90HP mode, it does lack the torque of the Multi. All else seemed easy due to lack of weight and corner turn in is light.
Hi David and welcome.

I had the same thoughts and was looking to buy a Multistrada. Test rides on both the 1200s and Enduro showed the engine to be full of grunt. The TV was really a curiosity at that stage but due to dealer proximity and a not great experience with my closest Ducati dealer I decided to give it the benefit of a test ride. My local dealer only 20 pleasant miles away I had met at the previous year at the UK's main bike show (he was keen to get myself and m8 onto a test ride). He was very accommodating giving me the demo bike for the whole day.

As you say, not as much torque as the Multistrada. However, the lighter weight and the way the 800 triple is so keen to rev it's a different ride and more involving for the rider. If you do a lot of two up with luggage maybe the Ducati needs a closer look but for my money the TV is just as good. 4000 miles in with a Spanish tour under its wheels and I'm really getting on with it. IMHO finish and style as well as exclusivity is above the Ducati as well.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Streetrider, Ah yes the Gordon River Road, one of the last great riders, roads I went on a few times, not sure why it took me so long, but there are so many great Tassie roads. Good surface, wide, with coarse chip in places, but with big sweepers, and lots of run off. A true sports bike road, or sports/tourer road.
I'd leave the panniers and top case at the 1930's style National Park Hotel, the previous nights digs, and take off early morning before the cages come out to play, for another memorable Tasmanian ride.
Do you live there or like me, a tourist?
I have the same photo but it is a Black Multi 1000 in the frame, from a few years ago. Can't find it now but will post a more recent photo when I learn a short cut to compress it!

Bumpkin, I agree there is the MV exclusivity and quality. Getting a quote for transport one TV to Sydney and getting excited as well...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Streetrider, Sorry, wrong end of road, not Gordon River road at all. That is the shot of Lake Dove of course, I didn't look hard enough.

Not your bike, I take it as I see you have none in the registry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode