Maybe futur TV Lusso owner - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
LLP

New Site Garage
Question Maybe futur TV Lusso owner

Hi from Grenoble in the french Alps
I fell in love with the TV when it was shown in 2013, today I'm ready to buy one, however reading some return from you I'm a little bit afraid as most of you seems to meet troubles (clutch troubles, coolant leaking, electrical blinker desease...)
I know this bike is still young and that some troubles could occurs and usually owner posting here when they are unhappy.
So the big question for the 30 TV owner on this forum is : are you happy with this bike ? would you recommend it to me ? knowing that MV Financial position is not clear ant that this bike is Young ?
Many thanks for your advices (and forgive my not perfect English)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Welcome to this madhouse.

Alot of people come to a forum to find a solution to a problem. That is why I believe there is a disproportionate number of complaints. Yes, there are some issues.

Bounce the complaints off the number of bikes on the road.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:19 AM

New Site Garage
Hi LLP and welcome to the forum.

If you have yet to ride one I suggest that you do before committing to buying one. This may result in you forgetting about all the potential minus points and getting one anyway, that's what happened to me.

Buy any niche brand such as MV or even BMW and Ducati and there are always going to be issues reported. Japanese manufacturers aren't exempt from this either though their R&D budget tends to sort out most glitches.

From my fairly recent 'wedding' to the MV brand I can say that the feeling that a lot of effort and passion has gone into the mechanical and aesthetic design that is somehow absent in bikes from the far east. Yes there are a few minor issues here and there but in balance I convince myself that I have made the right choice and thus far accept the issues as a right of passage.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:30 AM
Established Member

Hi LLP, the issues most of us have had are really minor irritations, and don't detract from a fantastic bike. It's not perfect, but nothing is, and having had mine for 7 months now there is nothing else I would rather have (although there are a couple of bikes I'd like as well as the TV if I could affford more than one!)
However, regarding the financial position, I would probably hold off a new purchase for a little while until the future is clearer.

Neville
Turismo Veloce
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
LLP

New Site Garage
hi guys,
thanks for your replies, I'm coming from ducati and owned a multistrada 620 for 9 years and 57000 km without any troubles ...I understand what you said Bumpkin however I'd like to be sure before spending more than 17 000 € that my bike will not let me beside the road during a trip in the alps ...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 AM

I have only owned my MV TV for a few 100 miles and so it is probably too early to really comment on the reliability. I had problems with an MV Agusta alarm that was fitted (and has been subsequently removed) and, following that there is an irritation with the immoboliser/battery which needs to be fixed. So, it certainly is not perfect. However, I also moved from a Multistrada 620 (which I had owned for 4 years) and the difference is immense. The Multistrada is a fabulous entry level bike and I really loved it. But the TV is in a different league altogether - the acceleration and the speed of overtaking are on a different planet to the Multistrada. And the brakes are just incredible ! In terms of handling, I have yet to properly test the TV but it feels very solid and secure and I think I'm going faster round the corners than I realise. I also liked the feel of the Multistrada and, I must say, countersteering was easier/more instinctive on the Multi. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Cheers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 AM

New Site Garage
Maybe futur TV Lusso owner

First of all welcome.
Ive done over 8k miles on mine, as people have said there are a few niggles with them, and that's what they are in all honesty, niggles, the way the bike handles and looks is enough for me to say it's the best bike I have owned in my limited time on 2 wheels.
The bike is not only a new model but it is MVs first foray into the sports touring class. You can and will forgive them any minor irritations as soon as you get to test one, it is thee best sports tourer on the market.
The clutch switch issue stops the qs working and abs if I remember correctly (someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong), no problem as there is a clutch lever, some can run a bit hot which is fixable with a new radiator cap/ coolant replacement, some have had issues with led indicators needing replaced, and some have had the sprag clutch replaced, none of the documented issues has led to anyone been stranded at the side of the road, sprag clutch is a progressive failure, (can't speak for the alarm, don't have one fitted) the bike can still be ridden with all the above issues.
As for the factory position at the moment, who knows, they seem to be shy in letting dealers/customers know what the state of affairs is, on the plus side they have just announced a Pirelli/Brutale project on their website so something positive must be happening at the factory.
The way it seems to be going at the moment is.... Test one, Buy one.
Oh I have just had a temperature sensor replaced but we think that was caused by a dodgy rad cap.
Hope that helps.

Bruce

Oh and mine is a standard not the Lusso version.

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 AM

New Site Garage
You mention that there are 30 TVs on here, there are more, they're just not all in the registry.

As to the MV approved alarm, I had one fitted but, like Craig, it's failed. Didn't leave me stranded either. Will be removed when I take mine back to have the indicator replaced that is playing up. Those are the only two issues I've had so far but only at 700 miles. The alarm isn't a standard item so not really relevant, just don't bother have one of those fitted. Will be getting a Datatool once the old one has gone. Unfortunately I need an alarm, it's a requirement of my insurance.

As said by others, faults that have shown themselves are not major and you can still carry on riding. I'll be heading to Spain in a month for a 2,000 mile trip, no more worried than I would have been on my Honda VFR (that's broken down on tour once before, nothing is perfect). However, on the TV I'm pretty confident I'll have a much better time.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
LLP

New Site Garage
Nice to read from you that you guys were all able to manage with these niggles.
Currently I tried the TV twice, first time was one year ago during a showday and was too short (but very fast) to allow me getting a valuable opinion of the bike.
So I tried it again 20 days ago and ride alone as long as necessary to build my own idea and of course find it was a lovely bike ...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 10:00 AM

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180857

Some of the issues you mention aren't really problems, more just character. For instance there isn't a coolant leak (at least that I know of). The bike does however insist on the overflow tank being nearly empty. Filling it to the minimum line will result in it puking out the extra. But that isn't really a leak.

Others have had some of the issues detailed above, though not sure about the sprag clutch - I thought that was more of an F3/Brutale issue. But as Bruce notes, none of those have stranded anyone. That is in contrast to my Aprilia Shiver that stranded me 3x, and my GS that stranded me 2x (once dying on the freeway - bad fuel pump connector). Right now I'm just under 4K miles on my TV and, knock on wood, no issues other than my shop not being able to clear the "needs service" warning. I absolutely love this bike. I commute on it, ride it solo and 2-up in the canyons, and it'll get to the track at some point.

As for MV, I'd buy an F3 today if I had space in the garage. They will have their ups and downs, but I think much of it is financial posturing. It will never be as stable as Yamaha, etc, but Yamaha etc will never make a bike as beautiful as MV.

|
|

'16 MV TV | '16 BMW R1200GSw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode