Sat nav power source - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Sat nav power source

Need to power my Garmin Zumo 660 on my new TVL. Where do you plug your sat nav in?

I understand that splicing into the bikes wiring will invalidate the warranty. There is the forward power socket on the right hand side of the bike but I would prefer something more discreet. Direct to battery isn't ideal, I would prefer an ignition switched source. Is there any dedicated vacant connectors up front designed for the MV supplied Garmin that I could use?

On my last bike I used a third party adapter that plugged into the rear brake light switch by replicating the connectors. This worked really well. I have removed this item so may look into adapting that to work with my new bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 03:21 AM

New Site Garage
Does the TVL not come with sat nav? Ask the techs at Eds when you see them, the edition 1 came with sat nav and Eds techs had already wired it up, don't know how, that is a garmin 390 so depending on the cradle for your one it may be an easy change.
Good luck collecting the bike today got a nice day for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks Red. No, it was only the Edition 1 that came with all the goodies. I think MV wanted to reward early adopters and get the sales ball rolling.

Even the panniers are extra on the TVL, though I imagine everyone adds them so they may as well be, just even more ££ on top of the £££ already spent. Ed told me that they get them at a discount if ordered with the bike so that's what he does every time.

The specs for the TVL do mention GPS but that is only the datalogger. No Garmin included.

I'll ask Ed if there is a point somewhere that I can tap into. Failing that the accessory socket won't be too bad an option.

Rain forecast for this afternoon but OK tomorrow for my run out with the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red800 View Post
Does the TVL not come with sat nav? Ask the techs at Eds when you see them, the edition 1 came with sat nav and Eds techs had already wired it up, don't know how, that is a garmin 390 so depending on the cradle for your one it may be an easy change.
Good luck collecting the bike today got a nice day for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetrider View Post
Are you able to use one of the USB ports at the front?
Thanks for the reply. Garmin runs off 12v so USB, at 5v, won't do. Though I'll be using that with my phone and CoPilot until I get my Garmin sorted out.

Ideally I need the bike here so I can work out mounting (don't like the MV cross bar, fouls the screen adjustment) and power source. Broke the antenna for my traffic receiver yesterday removing it from my old bike, it was pretty worthless on a bike anyway. So I can shorten the Garmin's cable to a suitable length and just terminate all but the two power wires. Garmin must have made the cable long enough so that the rear light of the longest bike possible could be used as a power source
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 11:22 AM

New Site Garage
You have on the right side a 12V Plug. I soldered the cable there. The original cable is also soldered. So you just have the power if you turn on the machine. The cable will be hiding inside the machine. It is really easy to get the cable there.

Gero
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks Gero. Tech at dealers explained that the MV supplied Garmin has a special loom that plugs into both sides of a block connector in the loom inside the fairing. This exploits both a +12v feed and an earth within this particular connector. Something I'm not going to try to replicate. Now I have the bike on inspection the front accessory socket is tucked away quite nicely. I'll just buy an appropriate plug for that. What's the name/model of plug and where do I get one?

Do you mean that you've soldered onto the back of the accessory socket? I was under the impression that interfering with the bike's wiring was a potential reason to decline warranty.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 12:23 AM

New Site Garage
Yes that what I've done.
I didn't touch the cable. Just soldered the extra one on it. There could be not a problem with the guarantee.
So I still can use the plug.

Gero
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 01:53 AM

New Site Garage
Sat nav power source

I think the name of the plug you want is a DIN plug, maplins or auto shop should sort you out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red800 View Post
I think the name of the plug you want is a DIN plug, maplins or auto shop should sort you out.
Thanks Red

Seem a bit pricey for what they are, wanted low profile/right angled version as I feel that will work best with the front accessory socket. Cheapest was £12 off eBay with free postage (UK seller). Have ordered one.

Now have to find a way to mount in conjunction with my new Givi tank bag without fouling it, yet maintain a clear view of the bike's instruments.

I favour one of these off of one of the handlebar clamps, with a short arm to my Garmin cradle. Will take some experimentation, luckily I have a drawer of RAM parts with all of those and more.

Last edited by Bumpkin; 04-24-2016 at 04:39 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 07:29 AM

New Site Garage
just go for the originale mount from MV...

Gero

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode