who this bike is for - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

who this bike is for

Forums often end up having a lot of questions about reliability and complaints about problems large and small, less so about what is good about the bike. I know when I was a potential buyer, I came here to learn as much as I could as there just weren't (m)any TVs in the states.

While riding into work this morning, I started thinking (while dodging cell-phone gazing drivers) about who this bike is for. Typically a certain design is targeted at an increasingly small demographic, as we're in an era of multiple models/variants and specialization.

For years I've lusted after MVs, but never fit on them. Tight legroom is a no-go for me so no sport bikes, and even Brutales weren't a solution. Then the Stradale and Rivale come along, but I found them too motard for my taste - I don't like to fill my tank every hour, nor do I like sitting on the front wheel . Then the TV comes along, and I think, "finally".

So who is the TV really for?

1. A taller or "more mature" rider who always wanted an MV but didn't really fit on one.

2. Someone who really wants a sport bike but wants/needs to carry some stuff or sit more upright.

3. A person who misses the old Ducati ST2/3/4 models, and wants an even more beautiful version.

4. A rider who want to embarrass most sport bike riders with "just a touring bike."

5. Someone who appreciates form and function.

Feel free to add the potential user profile...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Established Member

I am 56 and this is my first MV. Most of my riding is at the weekends and touring a few times a year over in France. I don't commute or ride hard all the time. I suppose I have got lazy!

I took the Turismo out for a test ride not really thinking I was going to like it. I had read all the past stories of bad fuelling etc on the MV's. But I was really impressed when I rode it. Fuelling spot on, comfortable, great midrange and for lazy old me the quickshifter was the next best thing to automatic.

For me its the following

1. Something that I could tour with a good tank range but at the same time could get the heart racing with a sporty side.
2. I wanted something light, had enough of heavy touring bikes.
3. I do not commute these days so my bike choices are usually via the heart (I own a little Guzzi as well)
4. Wanted all the electronics for a safer ride.
5. I wanted something I could look at while I sat in the garage after polishing it and think that looks good. That pride of ownership.

Would I have bought it as a commuter? Not really, there are plenty of cheaper bikes for that job.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Established Member

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickr69 View Post
I am 56 and this is my first MV. Most of my riding is at the weekends and touring a few times a year over in France. I don't commute or ride hard all the time. I suppose I have got lazy!

I took the Turismo out for a test ride not really thinking I was going to like it. I had read all the past stories of bad fuelling etc on the MV's. But I was really impressed when I rode it. Fuelling spot on, comfortable, great midrange and for lazy old me the quickshifter was the next best thing to automatic.

For me its the following

1. Something that I could tour with a good tank range but at the same time could get the heart racing with a sporty side.
2. I wanted something light, had enough of heavy touring bikes.
3. I do not commute these days so my bike choices are usually via the heart (I o
wn a little Guzzi as well)
4. Wanted all the electronics for a safer ride.
5. I wanted something I could look at while I sat in the garage after polishing it and think that looks good. That pride of ownership.

Would I have bought it as a commuter? Not really, there are plenty of cheaper bikes for that job.
That could have been written by me. Same age, same criteria, only difference is I haven't owned heavy touring bikes, but most of the bikes I was looking at before the TV were heavy touring or adventure bikes.

Neville
Turismo Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:05 AM

I`m 52 and a long time Ducati rider with a couple of Guzzis along the way too. I`ve arrived at owning a TV as none of the Japanese brands appeal at all , same for BMW although the R1200rs is close but a bit heavy. No current or relatively recent Ducati bikes have made me want to splash out and I`m not comfortable any more on the older ones I like such as the 900ss. In fact sports bikes are out now as my knees cant take more than about 30 minutes of rearsets.
I`ve only had my TV a couple of weeks and done 200 miles so far so I need to get some in over the next few months to really comment on it but so far so good.
Changing the subject a bit ( well quite a lot really ) I have a great picture of Esther, one of my chickens, standing on the tank admiring herself in the mirror but I cant seem to get it to move from my desktop to this site. Any offers of help welcomed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Duke, welcome.
I just sent you a PM describing how to post pictures here.
Open the envelope in the upper right corner by your name....

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 08:25 AM

New Site Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
Forums often end up having a lot of questions about reliability and complaints about problems large and small, less so about what is good about the bike. I know when I was a potential buyer, I came here to learn as much as I could as there just weren't (m)any TVs in the states.

While riding into work this morning, I started thinking (while dodging cell-phone gazing drivers) about who this bike is for. Typically a certain design is targeted at an increasingly small demographic, as we're in an era of multiple models/variants and specialization.

For years I've lusted after MVs, but never fit on them. Tight legroom is a no-go for me so no sport bikes, and even Brutales weren't a solution. Then the Stradale and Rivale come along, but I found them too motard for my taste - I don't like to fill my tank every hour, nor do I like sitting on the front wheel . Then the TV comes along, and I think, "finally".

So who is the TV really for?

1. A taller or "more mature" rider who always wanted an MV but didn't really fit on one.

2. Someone who really wants a sport bike but wants/needs to carry some stuff or sit more upright.

3. A person who misses the old Ducati ST2/3/4 models, and wants an even more beautiful version.

4. A rider who want to embarrass most sport bike riders with "just a touring bike."

5. Someone who appreciates form and function.

Feel free to add the potential user profile...
4. YES
5. YES
6. ME

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesox View Post
In fact sports bikes are out now as my knees cant take more than about 30 minutes of rearsets.
I`ve only had my TV a couple of weeks and done 200 miles so far so I need to get some in over the next few months to really comment on it but so far so good.
At age 54, and decades of various sport injuries, motorcycle and bicycle crashes, there is no way my knees and back will tolerate a tight riding position. Even the Brutale was brutal on my knees.

After many ears on an R1200GS, I decided I wanted something a bit less industrial. A year ago I picked up one of the new Tiger 800s (the XRx - road version) and it frankly is a terrific bike. But it isn't really what you'd call aesthetically pleasing, and it lacks some drama. I was close to getting another Multistrada (had a 1st gen version) and then the TV hit. I read everything I could but until you climb on it you don't know. Finally got a test ride and then had to have it. Still have the Tiger as that is the "calm 2-up bike" while the TV is the "fun solo/2-up bike."

I'm coming up on 2K miles on the TV. Still makes me giggle. Still wish there was a top box but have pretty much given up on that - which is fine as my wife has adjusted and we'll just do more 2-up on the Triumph. Only other thing I want to mess with is seat height as I want to get a hair more legroom. May go to a semi-local guy and have him redo the seat about an inch higher. Did that with the GS, and with the Tiger bought a Touratech seat that was 1" taller. Makes a big different to the knees...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 01:29 PM
AHA

New Site Garage
All of the above.

I'm looking to buy a TV in a few months once I've sorted a house move and other boring life-shit like that.

To me, the TV seems like 'the bike I've been looking for all my life.' Been lusting since the first Eicma photos surfaced (and loved the concept those MV interns did a few years previously.)

I'm 56 & always loved the fully faired, Italian sportsbike look but at my age and 6ft 2" height, its just not an option. I've always liked upright bikes - like Yamaha's TDM. My first big bike in 2005 was an original model Multistrada - a fantastic bike and so much better than the over-powered farkle-fest that is the much more successful replacement.

Then in 2009 I bought a KTM 990SMT, the very first month they were first available. Likewise, a fantastic bike with no phoney dual purpose pretensions. (I ride enduro so I have zero interest in riding anything heavier than a DRZ400 in mud or across country. A 2-stroke 250cc or even a 125cc is just fine especially for the technical, trials type stuff.)

I commute, tour and scratch. The TV ticks all the do-it-all, practical, upright, road-focussed boxes but also adds Italian style, beautiful design & components and the latest electronic safety aids. What's not to like?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 04:32 PM

New Site Garage
So it seems the TV is built for a mid 50's owner who's always wanted/had an MV but hasn't the body anymore to cope with an F4

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackers View Post
So it seems the TV is built for a mid 50's owner who's always wanted/had an MV but hasn't the body anymore to cope with an F4
you forgot the tall and handsome part, but other than that, correct

Actually, I still want an F3. Maybe yoga can turn back the clock. And actually in reality the older rider is exactly what MV needs to help keep them afloat. Can usually afford the cost of entry, and often will be brand-loyal. Just because I'm old doesn't mean I like fugly bikes (though I did own a GS ). The sport-touring play is a good move for them. After all, Porsche sells more SUVs now than 911s...

Last edited by nostatic; 03-30-2016 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode