Tourismo v 990 Adventure - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Tourismo v 990 Adventure

Hi,
I am not an mv owner,but
I currently have a 990 Adventure.I have found it particularly irritating regards reliability,build quality and dealer service.I am in Scotland where there is 1 dealer ,who is atrocious.
A shame because underneath all the ill fitting panels and cheap fixings,lies a nice bike which handles well.

I was considering an MV Tourismo,being attracted to the pannier system,light weight and possible smoothness of the triple engine.(ktm is vibey and rough with very bad fuelling),making it(the Tourismo) an ideal solo tourer.But after reading through the forum,it appears to be another good basic bike marred by iffy electrics thin dealer presence and poor spare supplies.
Additionally,having lost confidence in taking the ktm on any real distance tour,is the Tourismo sorted enough to give peace of mind on a long haul journey?

Has anyone here owned a 990 Adventure or taken a Tourismo on a good two week trip? and able to make a comparison?

Thanks for any contribution.

Scottyboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:15 PM

I don't have a KTM, but previously owned an R1200GS, and test rode an 1190 Adv (wanted to like it but didn't). We've been just doing day trips with the TV so far, panniers go on in a few days.

As for the performance of the bike - no issues there. Love the triple motor, and the lighter weight relative to the GS is nice (though there are tradeoffs). It is way more fun in the twisties than the GS was, and different than our Tiger 800 XRx which is the more "touring" side of the garage. That is another bike to consider depending on how much sport you want with your touring. I'm 7K into the Triumph with zero issues, am a little over 1K on the TV with no issues (knock on wood).

Regarding dealer support - that depends on where you live. I have 3 dealers within a 1.5 hour ride, but I'm in LA which is a big bike market.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:33 AM

New Site Garage
I have over 7k miles on the Turismo, had an indicator changed due to it not working, had a clutch switch replaced (arrived within one week) had a couple of electrical niggles like warnings showing on the dash but they seem to clear themselves, nothing that has stopped me riding.
As for the build quality, well its second to none on Turismo and a thing of beauty. As for dealer support, you have the choice of 1 in Perth.
I came to MV from a Triumph STR, build quality and reliability was an issue for me with Triumph having to visit the dealer for various issues 12 times within 11 months.
I have only done overnights on the Turismo, once was going through heavy rain and panniers held up ok.
Hope that help the decision mate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Red 800:Yes,that is helpful.I had more issues with the KTM in less miles than your Tourismo.My other choice of replacement was the new tiger sport,but again,there appear to be issues with these bikes,confirmed by your experience.

Nostatic:I have a1200s Bandit for touring with the wife.Hardly any electrics,smooth and reliable.Handleing not quite up to the engine though.I would never go bonkers on it.The KTM was more for myself for heading out wild camping .The tv is for the same thing,with some mad times thrown in too.Thank you both.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode