MV are removing Auto Dash lighting for TV's - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

MV are removing Auto Dash lighting for TV's

Hi All

With regards to the auto light setting for the dash, well it looks like we're all buggered!! at least here in the UK.

I have been querying this "missing" option with the dealer and the factory for my 2016 TVL, which only has the options Day or Night in the dash settings, although the manual clearly states that there should be an Auto setting?

It appears form conversations with the dealer and factory, that on the latest software release for the dash (July 2015), they have kindly removed the Auto lighting feature for the dash illumination feature.
When questioned why? they have said that it is to do with UK legislation, but can't tell me which regulation, so i am quite dubious about that is the true reason, when it has already passed type approval regulation for use in the UK with auto feature in place. Seems very strange if you ask me?

Here is a quote from the email response i had about the removal of Auto dash lighting feature...

"I've now received clarification from the factory re the dash setting discussed
Basically as per my understanding (& now confirmed by the factory) you have the latest ECU software, it's actually this that has removed the 'Auto' setting from within the dash, all TV's that now go in for service & are updated with the 'latest' software will have this setting removed & TV's now supplied will not have it from new. This setting is now / has now been removed by the factory to comply with UK legislation"

Be aware that if you DO have the "Auto dash lighting" feature on earlier bikes, make sure when it goes in for work or service that they DON'T update the software on your bike or you will lose it!!!

They are systematically removing that feature from all TV's as they go into dealers. God knows why? seemed like a great feature to me and now it's a real pain to change when it gets dark!!!

Would love to hear if anyone else has been fed the same story or heard any different about this feature removal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 03:21 AM

New Site Garage
I have an Edition 1 T3 so it is one of the first in the UK and I can tell you the Auto option for the dash lights has never been an option in settings mode, it has only ever been a paper option listed in the manual. I have emailed MV about this some months ago and I was told from the factory that they were "working on it" its not a problem for me as after the first time I rode in the dark the dash was set to night mode where it has remained ever since.
Would be nice to have all options that are listed in the manual and to be honest if it's listed in the manual then It should be a working feature on the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Like you Red, i have just set mine to night mode and leave it there until a miracle happens :-)
It would be nice to have it though, as it's such a pain to change while on a journey.

Seems to be a different story dependant on who you ask, MV tell me it was there, but they've taken it off,They tell other owners "were working on it", where as owners say it was never there in the first place!!!

I wish they would just be honest and say it was planned but we had to scrap it, or such like for whatever reason, at least everybody knows the score then and can move on, rather than keep waiting for something that will never show up.

I'm very much for straight talking, telling you how it is rather than all this Political speak, promising you everything and giving you nothing.... seems to be the world we live in these days unfortunately.:-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:12 PM

New Site Garage
I know what your saying, honesty is often the best policy, manufacturers like people certainly don't earn respect by misleading or trying to pull the wool over people's eyes, people have a habit of looking beyond the wool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:22 PM

I'm finding that night mode seems easier to read even during the daytime. I have not-so-great night vision though.

I will say that the TFT screen scratches *very* easily. I made the mistake of trying to wipe some road dust from it with my glove on. I now have permanent fine scratches, though you can only see them when the sun is behind. I suppose I should have put a screen protector on it, but I'm not riding a phone...yet.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:50 AM

New Site Garage
Yeah i also have very fine scratches on my TFT, I noticed mine after i had washed and dried it so unsure what caused it, pretty disappointing to be honest.
Form over function is all well and good on the limited edition silly priced bikes, but on a bike that is designed to cover long distances i think they could have made some areas a bit more robust, like you say a screen protector would have come in handy but who the fuck thinks to put one on the instruments? I am however thinking about putting some paint protection over the vulnerable areas but 3M don't seem to want to give me a quote or even return emails.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Established Member

I'm also looking at paint protection for the tank sides and possibly the centre. I bought what was supposed to be 3M film off ebay, made a template and fitted a panel to the right hand side of titanium where my knee is causing some rubbing. I wasn't happy with the results so took it off again. I got it on OK, but the film was marking from using a well lubricated squeegee, so it would have looked bad very quickly. I've been in contact with a company called Bodyguard in Daventry who were recommended by my MV dealer. They said if I take the bike over to them they can make templates for a tank protection kit. I'm planning to go in 2-3 weeks when my new clutch switch is in.

Neville
Turismo Veloce
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:10 PM

I'm actually not worried about paint protection. Ideally this bike will prove reliable and I'll want to ride the crap out of it so scratches/marks on the paint don't bug me that much. The screen though is functional - in certain light angles it is now tough to see the gear indicator. Not the end of the world, but I'm certainly wishing I hadn't brushed it with my glove and instead put a screen protector on it day-1.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Established Member

I had some light scratches in my screen and managed to polish them out

Neville
Turismo Veloce
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM

New Site Garage
MV are removing Auto Dash lighting for TV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6ymy View Post
I had some light scratches in my screen and managed to polish them out

What did you use to polish them out with? Keep us informed with the paint protection like you I'm looking at tank sides and maybe the nose as well, I think the paint is easily marked going by my experience!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo

Last edited by Red800; 02-22-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode