sit in it, or hang off it? - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

sit in it, or hang off it?

Curious how most are approaching technique when doing spirited riding. I'm finding that the TV seems to be more the "sit in it" as opposed to "hang off it" bike. The reason being, turn-in is very easy to initiate, and it has reasonably high pegs so a decent lean angle. By contrast, my Tiger requires some hanging off the side if you want to push it, mostly because the low pegs limit the lean angle so it is easy to ground one.

I'm not going crazy speeds on public roads so I'm not anywhere near the limit. But I don't really feel a need to work the bike that hard - it just goes where it needs to with very little muss/fuss.

Or maybe I'm just old and lazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Established Member

Old and lazy. :-P

I hang off if I'm focussed on riding which I guess is "spirited".

2017 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 04:42 AM

+1 for old and lazy. Plus the bike loves to do all the work, why should I work hard to preserve chicken strips when she's so happy to lean over for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 05:39 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You only need to hang off it your corner speed is forcing lean angles approaching edge of traction or hard parts contacting pavement.
If your spirited riding isn't generating tire edge cornering you don't need to hang off.

Not that many years ago no one hung off the bike....but racers go much faster today, and tires are much different. A lot of riders hanging off only do it because they think they are going fast or they want to look like they are.
pierre.poilane likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 06:04 AM

The TV does have a chassis which is well capable of some faster spirited riding, however the standard fit tyres Pirelli Scorpions are not what I would regards as peg dragging track rubber.

Anyone hanging off a TV with scorpions on is kidding themselves. With some more sports type tyres on yes it can give proper sports bikes a real good scare.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Established Member

I've dragged a knee on my TV with the Scorpion 2s. I know other people have so, you can certainly use the whole tire if you want to.

My main argument for people to hang off or use other track techniques is to give more margin. If you're on the bike and "spirited" riding - let's say 6/10ths - in a corner and come across something you want to avoid, hanging off gives you more margin. Knowing how to trail brake gives you more margin in the same way.

Anyway, you're grown ass people so, do whatever.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSteve View Post
Anyway, you're grown ass people so, do whatever.
That's not what my ex-wives said...

I will probably do a bit more weight shifting as I get to know the bike more. With the Tiger, you pretty much have to hang off to get around a tight corner at any speed otherwise you'll whack a peg. The TV at my rather pedestrian speeds, not so much. I do agree that if you're off you have a bit more margin for error, but these days I try to leave a fairly large margin due to crap in the road, distracted drivers, and some riders who don't quite know their limitations or do dumb stuff (*cough* passing on the right - and we're not in the UK).

The other aspect is this bike is much more sensitive to weight shifts than the Tiger or GS was (or even my old 1st gen Multi), so I actually have to improve my technique to get smoother in transition. Which gets back to the old part
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Established Member

You have a lot of clearance on the TV that you don't on the other bikes you've mentioned so, it's optional on the TV to a greater extent.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:59 PM

If you are riding at 6/tenths and getting youknee down that is more about show than go!

The TV is a very capable bike, when the wife does let me ride it, but in less than sunny UK with ambient temperature currently of 4c the scorpions are more than adequate for the conditions.

A track day at Caldwell Park however will reveal them to be not such a great choice, it will be on with the Corsas and more like 9 tenths stuff.

jimboF4

in the garage: 2001 F4 750 1+1, 2005 Brutale 910S Carbon, 2007 Brutale 910R, 2009 F41000R, 2013 Brutale 800, 2015 Turismo Veloce 800,1976 Triumph T140D Bonneville, 1976 Honda CB400F2.

Last edited by jimboF4; 02-08-2016 at 01:11 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Established Member

Sure but, that's hardly the point of the conversation. I'm still trying to get the suspension set the way it needs to be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode