s1000xr or TV Lusso? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

s1000xr or TV Lusso?

So I've decided I'm ready for a new bike this spring. I think I've narrowed it down the BMW s1000xr or the TV Lusso. I like these bikes for different reasons. Part of my problem is that the two dealers nearest to me don't seem like they are going to get one in their showroom, so I haven't been able to see a TV in person or even sit on one. I don't even think MV is going to be at the motorcycle show here in Chicago.

I'm 6 foot and about 235lbs, so not a small guy. I have long legs. The BMW seemed pretty comfy. I am coming from a BMW C650 scoot which I love, but need something a bit quicker and more capable for longer rides.

One of the main reasons I like both the BMW and the MV is the shift assist. Most of my riding is in an urban environment and the less shifting/clutching I need to do the better imho.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I want the TV. The bike is freaking gorgeous. I can see myself just staring at in my garage. I also like having stuff that isn't all that common.

However, I am wondering if the s1000xr might be a bit more logical / practical. I like that the BMW has all the wizbang tech stuff like the lean sensitive ABS. I still haven't gotten a straight answer if the TV has the same Bosch system as the BMW. I was kind of put off that the TV does't have the automatic suspension pre-load, but does appear to have the same semi-active suspension. This might not be big deal since I rarely if ever will have a passenger, so I doubt I need to adjust preload often.

I like the BMW navigator system. I originally thought the TV had an integrated GPS, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

On paper, the BMW seems to win, but god damn, every time I look at the TV it just looks so damn gorgeous. The BMW is kind of bland. Not bad looking, but definitely not as eye pleasing as the TV.

The BMW is certainly a faster bike, but I don't ride like a hooligan so the TV's power would be enough. I just like to be able to out accelerate cars at any speed up to about 100. I don't have any desire to go faster.

My other concern is that there are only two dealers I can really patronize. One is like 15 minutes away and the other about 2 hours away. Neither seem like MVs are their bread and butter so I feel like I might be taking somewhat of a risk with dealer support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 02:58 PM

Get the Beemer

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 07:40 PM

If you have very long legs the TV might be tight. I'm 6'1" and my knees are right at the cutout.

If you want more gizmos, go for the BMW. iirc preload is manual on the TV even with the Lusso.

People complain about vibration on the BMW. Like a lot of people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:40 AM

S1000rr at least vibrates quite bad, but nothing like a Duke, so i guess it depends what you are coming from. But if you come from a scooter, the vibration might actually be an issue. Have you ridden an S1000xr?
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad-turbo View Post
Get the Beemer
Agreed.
Matches your intended use.
There is not a lot of logic in buying an MV, it is 99.9% an emotional decision.

Last edited by revhead1957; 01-13-2016 at 01:44 AM.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhead1957 View Post
Agreed.
Matches your intended use.
There is not a lot of logic in buying an MV, it is 99.9% an emotional decision.
Shhhhh, don't say that where the wives can hear! My Lusso was a perfectly logical choice!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 09:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Again, buy the Bimmer.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 09:49 AM

By the way, what do you mean about "shift assist"?
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for responses. Logically, my scooter is probably better than either for most of my riding and probably don't need another bike. However, I am not completely looking to make a logical purchase which is why I keep coming back to the MV. The reality is that I don't ride as much as I'd like, so I guess I am looking for something that scratches the itch for what little time I can get on the bike. The MV just speaks to me aesthetically.

Shift assist is clutchless up and down shifting. Only really need clutch at a stop now. BMW has it on most of their bikes now. The TV has the same feature.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:31 AM

Then buy the MV and have a try, can always change it if not to taste? Must be said, dont really understand why would you want an quickshifter in town, at least the S1000rr i drove wasn`t too happy shifting on low speeds with the shifter. It did shift but with a clunk and jolt that cant be healthy to the box. But on speeds though, they are fantastic equipment, except the down change option. And this is only my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode