Fng - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Fng

Yo MV'ers,

This new Turismo Veloce has really got me interested in an MV for the first time. I've always admired looking at MV's but secretly pitied the owners for the reliability misery they must surely be going through! Suffering for the art!

Anyhoo, I have a short list of sport touring bikes to replace my CB1300S, in no particular order:

-TV (beautiful, but I'm kind of afraid of the tech reliability)
-Yamaha Tracer (not beautiful, but cool in it's own way, good performing triple and cheap as chips)
-BMW R1200RS (I owned an '06 R1200R and loved it)
-Ducati MultiStrada (probably way more bike than I need but I will consider it as it seems the TV Lusso is comparable in price, plus another test ride is always fun.)

I've read a lot of reviews, TV posts on this site and watched all the vids about the TV. Might get in a test ride of the non-Lusso this week and will let you guys know what I think.

I'm leaning in the direction of a Red/Silver non-Lusso with heated grips but have promised myself I will test all the bikes on my short list before pulling the trigger. Also I want to be sure a topbox will be available first.

So, cheers guys and thanks for posting up so much info on the TV.

'83 CB1100F
'85 RZ350
'07 CB1300S (on the chopping block if I buy an MV!)
'14 Harley Sportster 72 (proud and ashamed of it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 09:05 PM

You need to ride one. It is a smaller bike than the R1200RS or Multi. That could be good or bad depending on what you want. The new RS looks pretty sweet but we're now a no-BMW household (long story) so it'll be Italian joining the Brit in the garage..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:20 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflying View Post
Yo MV'ers,

I've always admired looking at MV's but secretly pitied the owners for the reliability misery they must surely be going through! Suffering for the art!
We feel sorry for you too buddy

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Hey Dons, is that a sorry in advance for my first warranty claim for an electrical problem that goes away every time I bring it back to the dealer?

But, seriously, I do admit to being a bit nervous about the electronic tech on the TV. I can see the benefits when this stuff is working good, but just a bit cautious from a reliability standpoint. Maybe I don't need to worry.

As far as the rest of the bike I am very close to sold. Looks good, good specs, etc. very positive reviews so far.

So, I will keep tabs on this forum to hear firsthand from TV owners how the electronic reliability is going. There are some complaints but it doesn't seem like a LOT of complaints.

Maybe after my first ride I will be so smitten that I will throw caution to the wind. Maybe the bike will be like one of those gorgeous but crazy girlfriends that you can't resist

'83 CB1100F
'85 RZ350

Last edited by lowflying; 12-21-2015 at 12:32 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 12:38 AM

Buy the Yamaha

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 12:59 AM

New Site Garage
The TV seems to be doing okay, looks like a faulty switch(button) on L/H bar to be the only problem so far.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:32 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I don't understand all this mistaken reliability concerns......my MVs are reliable as a rock!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Established Member

I'd agree that you need to ride them all, whilst aimed at the same market they have widely different characteristics, you need to find the one that lights your fire.
I wouldn't worry about the tech though - all four bikes are laden with tech so if that's a concern you should be looking for something far simpler. Most of the tech is bought in from common sources with well proven track records.

Neville
Turismo Veloce
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflying View Post
Yo MV'ers,
I've always admired looking at MV's but secretly pitied the owners for the reliability misery they must surely be going through!
IMHO, modern Italian bikes are saddled with a reputation earned long ago in the days of crappy Carello electrics. Today with globalization the bikes are made with a mix of German, Japanese and Italian components. Names like Bosch, Sachs and Nissen come to mind. I had my first MV for 14 years without anything going south on me. Yet if you go into any Japanese bike dealership you will find bikes in the shop for warranty work. My point is that today's bikes from Europe and Japan are so reliable that we take it for granted. So FWIW buy what you lust for accept the very small risk of something going wrong.
After all you stand a much, much greater chance of being stranded by the roadside with a flat tire than a bike that fails to proceed and who worries about that?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. All good input to help me decide. My test ride schedule has just been put back by a rainy spell and pesky work making demands of me.

'83 CB1100F
'85 RZ350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode