MV Agusta TV - Ducati MTS quick ride - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

MV Agusta TV - Ducati MTS quick ride

Hello everyone.

Been lurking on this forum for a week or two and joined up last weekend. Lurking to find out as much as I could about the new TV (and '15 Ducati MTS).

A bike shop about 90klms away from home sell both MV Agusta and Ducati and I was fortunate enough to ride each one back to back today. Started on the TV and hopped straight on the Multi after.

Though the rides were only about 20mins each (this time) I did observe a few things. I will take the TV out again for a longer ride later in the week.

As this is just voicing thoughts that popped into mind during and after the ride please bear with me if they seem a bit unrefined and disordered!

Getting on the TV I was worried about the height but could stay on the balls of my feet quite OK. Stopped at lights I just let the bike 'lean' a bit to one side so I could flat foot - so no real issue there for me - might be very problematic with a pillion though! MTS appears to have much better pillion
seating. Helps I can flat foot both sides at stops.

The feel of the motor was a surprise - not sure what I expected - it was very 'revvy' - reminded me of the 800 Rotax that BMW used. It was pretty quiet sound wise too. I thought that on the highway cruising at about 120klms/hr I kept looking unconsciously for another gear. This might be just me being unfamiliar with how the power comes on. Found myself quick shifting up to speed very easily - excellent gears. Often found I was going faster than I thought in lower gears and in low speed limited areas. Torque was very good indeed for a 800.

The MTS motor pulls really easily with no effort at all in each gear. Sounds great as is. Smoother than previous models by a big margin I think - way better than the '12 MTS I owned. It was really good at low speed in traffic too.

The bike is quite small physically I thought - definitely way less than others I have ridden. The road 'presence' on a highway didn't feel quite as commanding as when riding the MTS however. Not sure I could ride the TV on a 4000klm round trip to Victoria and back. A longer ride might help sort this. The TV did feel like a 800 in this respect - hardly surprising really!

The TV feels light and quite 'flighty' - thought it needed some adjustment mapping wise - salesperson said it was 'custom'. Even the salesperson used the term 'flighty'. Would like to try it in a different mode. However, the bike is quite flickable in corners though required more inputs turning in than I expected despite the front feeling quite light. Will know more about this after next longer ride.

The suspension was generally excellent. Absolutely no problems, even though it was not a Lusso with the electronic suspenders. Brakes felt very strong - both bikes great in this regard. MTS had better feel but it has seen a bit more riding than the newer TV - might just need adjusting and bedding in a bit.

The MTS basic suspension was a surprise however - I was very impressed with how well it felt. The salesperson said it was that way from the factory. No seesawing or diving under brakes and in corners. way better than past MTS rides Ive had - motor great too. Based on this I could not justify another $4k or so for the 'S' as required here in Australia.

One big advantage of the TV in traffic is being able to lane split easily in stationary traffic (legal now in this state). Way narrower than the MTS and felt very good in this regard. Pretty stable at low speed too.

Bike looks the goods big time. Beautiful fit and finish. Better than the MTS in this regard.

I really want to like the TV and so I'm going for a longer ride - like 2hrs + just to see how I manage it on a variety of roads. Just love how this bike looks in the flesh - way better than photos!

I've alway thought that you can tell if you are going to like/want a bike quite soon after riding it. Riding these 2 back to back has made me realise it might not be that simple this time!!

Anyway hope you enjoyed this lunatics ravings resulting from my short ride!

Would like to hear others views on their experiences!

Cheers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 04:15 AM

Buy the Ducati. Another person has recently asked 'should I buy an F3 675 or Triumph 675R' and I say Triumph.

If you need to ask a similar question on the MV Agusta forum you must go for the 'other' bike.

I buy MV for the love of the motorcycle...I do not need to test ride...I need passion in my motorcycle, very simple

ORBIS NON SUFFICIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Yeah,

wasn't really asking a question as such - just noting down my thoughts on what is a very new bike for the company. Thought it might pique some interest.

If its a 'heart' thing - the MV wins easily. Time and experience has taught me to weigh heart and head but I'm comfortable in making my own mind up about such things and have to go through the motions.

Thanks for the feedback though - much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redda View Post

I really want to like the TV and so I'm going for a longer ride - like 2hrs + just to see how I manage it on a variety of roads. Just love how this bike looks in the flesh - way better than photos!

I've alway thought that you can tell if you are going to like/want a bike quite soon after riding it. Riding these 2 back to back has made me realise it might not be that simple this time!!
I have yet to swing a leg over the TV (next week will finally have time to get to a dealer), but my hunch is that if it wasn't love at first sight, then the Duc probably should win. In part that is playing off quad-turbo's input. Taking time to weigh this bike vs that bike means that logic is playing a big part in the decision. For most people in most places, MV loses hands down in a quantitative analysis - just from dealer support angle (again - for most people - ymmv).

I'm obsessed with checking out the TV due to it *not* being a Ducati. They are almost like Hondas here in SoCal, and I want something different. In addition, I don't agree with the design philosophy on the MTS. I had a first generation MTS and while it was an acquired taste visually, it was a great bike.

The new one though...sorry, I don't need or want 150hp. Sure, I can run it in limp mode, but I would much rather push a lower power bike a bit more than nurse a higher powered one. I'm not going to wheelie everywhere, I just want good handling and enough cajones to make me giggle like a schoolgirl. At this point in time, TV seems to be a sweet spot.

More importantly, it just has *something* going on. I loved the Brutales but no way I can ride one - just too cramped in the legs for my tired knees/hips. But the TV - we may be cooking with gas finally
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Yep I agree with a lot of what you said Nostatic - I'm definitely attracted to the TV because its not another Duc! The sweet spot size, handling etc is really attractive.

The TV has just won 'Bike of the Year' here too with Australia's oldest motorcycling publication - 'Two Wheels'.
Huge rap for it! Its great to have such choice for a change!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:00 AM

Thumbs up

And UK's MCN recently published a test under the heading 'Practical Magic!'.
There were only a few Negs:- standard tyres and position of optional Gps - both an easy fix.
However in finalising they did conclude that the Tracer offered a similar package @ 30% less!
Well, having owned an MT09 and test ridden a Tracer and then the TV I would say a good part of the difference is justified. The standard suspension on the MT is crap and you'd need to spend £1k to really sort it. Otherwise the MT09 is a great package. But the Tracer is less inspiring, I felt quite detached riding
it and it just lacks charisma. So for the time being I'm keep my 10 year old Multi(Lots of Charisma!) and enjoying a second bike (Husky Nuda) until I can sort out funding the rest for a TV........

Booney

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode