MV Agusta Forum banner

An Unlikely Convert

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  quad-turbo 
#1 · (Edited)
My Builder /race engineer who has been doing work on my 2007 MV F4 312R (fork cartridges/seals, rear shock , new hub , billet side stand ,plugs , tune ,added traction control,silicone hoses, racing water pump and Febur racing radiator.) is the poster child for OCD. Great for building engines and ECU tuning and his work is immaculate(and slow lol) He has been in Motorcycle racing for 25 years and has sworn that the Japanese are the only manufacturers that really make a truly good product . The European and Italian manufacturers may make a motorcycle that excel in one area but never thought through as a whole .
Meaning good all around bike ,race machine , ease of maintenance , fit and finish.
What a shock it was to hear the same guy turn and say to me ... I have to admit , I am really impressed with the MV AGUSTA F4 . They really thought this bike through , its easy to work on,(compared to Japanese ) all the pieces line up & mount correctly, fit & finish is excellent and when I took it out for a ride the chassis gave good feedback and stable mid corner.He went on to say the power band was broad and linear, not peaky like the new ZX10R that Kawasaki had loaned the track.
Lastly he looked at me and said ..you know , after all the magazine articles putting the MV F4 as a bike that could be great but needs refinement . I never thought I would like the MV F4, but after I rode the bike it turns out to be my favorite liter bike. I then replied ...Rich I thought the same way till I rode the F4, then I bought it the next day. Will have full report/pics on upgrades when bike returns .

See less See more
#5 ·
Speaking Of Preaching

This is why I don't rate magazines at all & don't go by their reviews good, bad or indifferent.

Generally in the reviewing business, there is, inter alia:

1. Vested interests,
2. Human bias and;
3. Just plain dickheads, pure & simple.

Until they can get someone to review a bike using my bum, my heart & my soul - I see it as useful as someone telling what tastes good & what doesn't.

Pretty much the bike magazines I like to read are classic & enthusiasts' bike magazines because the political bullshit doesn't impinge on those - it's just about reliving the old world charm.

Like Noel said Jake, you are preaching to the converted which gives a damn good audience :) It's nice to hear stories like yours where others who were previously blind have now seen the light. :yo:

#7 ·
This is why I don't rate magazines at all & don't go by their reviews good, bad or indifferent.

Generally in the reviewing business, there is, inter alia:

1. Vested interests,
2. Human bias and;
3. Just plain dickheads, pure & simple.

Until they can get someone to review a bike using my bum, my heart & my soul - I see it as useful as someone telling what tastes good & what doesn't.

Pretty much the bike magazines I like to read are classic & enthusiasts' bike magazines because the political bullshit doesn't impinge on those - it's just about reliving the old world charm.

Like Noel said Jake, you are preaching to the converted which gives a damn good audience :) It's nice to hear stories like yours where others who were previously blind have now seen the light. :yo:
I would say that they are inconsistent too. One time its this and the other time its exact the opposite for exactly the same thing. I just guess it has to do with the fact that dont know what to write and cant always write the same orso. When it comes to motorcycle magazines you should not judge who will write the best, but just who will write the least crap...

#18 · (Edited)
Castle ESSO? your really aging yourself lol. ESSO changed to EXXON roughly 30 years ago . DAMMIT I aged myself just knowing it ESSO changed name 30 years ago lol.

At one time I TOO believed the Moto journalists reviews that stated that the MV F4 was A BEAST that was too high stung for the street. My FIRST MV was a 2009 MV F4 1078R .I didn't know it then, but Now having a better knowlage of MV motorcycles, I know that the Ohlins Fork cartridges/rear shock and Motocorse exhaust wasn't OEM parts on an exotic motorcycle.
The previous owner had went top of the line components and full race engine internals& tune. But the full race set up on a street bike just didn't work.The brakes/suspension where so stiff/taunt & the engines power band so peaky(big cams/head work ect ) that unless you where riding like a man possessed the bike was Flat. The bike somewhat reminded me of a Yamaha TZ750 I made street legal ( many moons ago) by putting it through DOT as a purged title . It was my FIRST MV and it fit the Moto Jounalists review to a tee. I hated the bike and sold it 2 weeks later for 9000$( same as I paid for bike )
LUCKILY I saw a 2007 MV F4 1000R/312R that had 837 miles on it, owned by Ferracci son who was CEO of MV AGUSTA USA and it was Such a beautiful bike I took the chance and bought it on the spot.
LOVE THIS MV F4 1000R and JUST got it back from upgrading suspension Front= custom made JRI 30mm fork cartridges REAR=Nitron triple adjustable /hydrolic preload race shock. New hub , FG Gubillinni PRO 2 Traction /wheelie control ISR front calipers /BRAKING brand Master Cylinders ,Discatti front/rear floating rotors in red color, Racing water Pump, Signa slipper clutch AND FEBUR Superbike radiator. I am going to do a photo shoot of bike and put up on site .

#19 · (Edited)
BTW my race engineer/builder now a convert to MV AGUSTA knows many National road racers. He was so impressed with the Build and the MV F4 1000R he let 2 of his buddies who are well known national AMA road racers test ride the bike . Although skeptical both racers took the bike out and came back stating that they where REALLY surprised how good the overall F4 power /handling package was and that they rethought/agreed how competitive MV could be in WSBK especially in the new EVO WSBK class.

Just so people know these reviews/opinions arnt just MV owner /rose colored glasses bias .
I also Own a very clean 1995 Kawasaki GPZ 1100 (Liquid cooled inline 4 ) In this day of only the latest and greatest motorcycle design is acceptable . EVERY rider I have let take the bike out to get his opinion on its performance has came back with great review stating the bike was very smooth, fast and stable .
When told its not a NEW model but a 1995 model that didn't sell well they look in disbelief thinking older Superbikes where all BEASTS from reading Moto journalists comparisons of older machines to the new models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.