Potential Rivale Purchase - MVAgusta.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Potential Rivale Purchase

Hello All,

I would appreciate input on a dilemma i have at the moment.

I have been looking into purchasing a rivale as a road bike, previously i have predominantly rode dirt bikes. Love the look of the rival vs the hypermotard and i have always liked MV's.

The bike in question is a matt grey rivale registered in FEB 2017 on a 66 plate so is covered under warranty until FEB 2019 but has only been on the showroom floor and has 3 miles on the clock. It has been fitted with an R&G tail tidy and crash protectors plus a set of mini indicators. I have been told I can buy it for 7,500 GBP, is this a good price?

Also, what is the resale market like for the rivale? I have not seen any around Have they sold many models? Will they depreciate quickly?

Also any experiences would be great to hear

I would be very grateful for any input you can offer.

Yours Sincerely,

Thomas Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 02:26 PM

New Site Garage
Hi Thomas,

I'll make an attempt to respond, in order. Disclaimer: Personal opinions abound below

First off, what exactly is your dilemma? I'll assume that it's whether or not to buy!

While this bike is marketed as a 'supermotard style' bike, other than a few stylistic nods it is not, and does not ride like a dirt bike.

If your main experience is with dirt bikes, you will appreciate the upright, nigh nuts-on-tank riding position. I don't find it to invite 'leg-out' type turning, although it's certainly possible to ride it that way. It's pretty tall, although not so much as the HM. Personally I feel much more comfortable on the Rivale than either the 2V or 4V HM's.

I'm not too well-positioned to comment on the asking price other than that a quick search on https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/m...-agusta/rivale
shows that it's in ballpark range of whats out there in UK, where I assume your from.

As you've no doubt guessed, this is a very niche machine, which can be said of all MVs, but this thing is niche even unto the MV line-up! The fact that 0 (or close too) mileage bikes are going for about the same (or less!) than 2-5k mile used ones should give further clue to that it is not something that sells like hot cakes. As to resale value, you will be struggling with the same niche market if you decide to sell. I know it's a cliché, but when I bought mine - and I'm a 1-bike guy - I did not give a toss about resale value. To me, the purchase was about re-kindling my passion for bikes, and riding and fettering with it are all that matters to me. You will be riding something truly unique

Best advice I can give: Ask for a demo or two. I rode 3 before I signed a contract. By then I had a comparative base to make a decision on - and knew that I had to have one.

Back to the 'dirt-bike' comparison thing. If that's your frame of reference, the engine in this thing will warp your mind. Once you're clear of the first few 1000 RPM it pulls and revs up sublimely, practically all the way up to the red line. Traction control and ABS are most welcome on this thing. The handling and lite-ness are also very impressive. Oh and there is pretty much no steering lock, but you won't notice this as soon as you've pulled out onto the road.

Have a forage around this forum for info on all things MV, and again, take the time to sit on one. Good luck!
nigelrb and nigelrb like this.

Jonathan
Southern Norway
2014 flat-bar, naked F3-like thingy with mx-style rear
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
A very fair summary by Eljono. I love my Rivale and have no intention of changing it for some time but I’m under no illusion that it won’t be the easiest bike to trade in.

Colin

2015 Rivale
2005 Aprilia RSV Factory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks for the replys.

I am questioning on whether to buy one or not.. all the reviews have seemed pretty good so far other than a couple but i am not quite sure they grasped the concept of the bike.

The big question is how much I can resell it for. I do not want to buy a bike and put some miles on it and then have it worth half the amount of the purchase. I have also looked at the hypermotard which seems to have a stronger resale market but for the same money I would be looking at something like a 2013 SP with no Warranty and 6K miles on the clock.`I would much rather the rivale.

Does antone have any information on how many have been sold?

Also is there anywhere I can get some information on MV's warranty t&c?

Planning to go and look at one on saturday and hopefully make a decision then... I am really hoping I can justify it!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:29 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
According to www.howmanyleft.co.uk there are currently 8 licensed Rivales in the UK and 1 on sorn. Given that there are currently 11 Rivales advertised on Autotrader not sure how accurate those figures are but there sure aren't that many in the UK which I kind of like.

Colin

2015 Rivale
2005 Aprilia RSV Factory
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 06:27 AM

New Site Garage
Warranty and the ease at which you can make claims will be dependant on the dealer and their relationship with the factory. Suffice to say that you shouldn't expect anything other than service parts to be available from stock. Lead times can mean that you could be off the road for a week or two, sometimes more. I can maybe understand why you don't want to reveal which dealer has this particular bike but the correct dealer is pivotal to a certain level of security/confidence when buying an MV.

Having said the above; in my experience it's absolutely worth the inconvenience of a scarcity of dealers and concerns over parts availability. Owning and riding something as special and relatively unique does have a cost though.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring

Last edited by Bumpkin; 11-20-2017 at 06:30 AM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Rose View Post

The big question is how much I can resell it for. I do not want to buy a bike and put some miles on it and then have it worth half the amount of the purchase.
Do not buy an MV. If this is a primary concern related to the purchase decision then you are not a candidate for owning a MV Agusta motorcycle.

All vehicles lose significant value the moment they roll off the selling dealer's lot. Motorcycles more so than cars. The problem you will find with owning a MV is the limited number of potential owners, due to lack of name brand recognition and product knowledge in the greater population.

Eventually you would find a buyer at a price you will accept. But, just like exotic sports cars (think Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) the buyers are few and far between.

You should get a Ducati/Triumph/Honda etc if resale value is what worries you. Forget the MV.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Do not buy an MV. If this is a primary concern related to the purchase decision then you are not a candidate for owning a MV Agusta motorcycle.

All vehicles lose significant value the moment they roll off the selling dealer's lot. Motorcycles more so than cars. The problem you will find with owning a MV is the limited number of potential owners, due to lack of name brand recognition and product knowledge in the greater population.

Eventually you would find a buyer at a price you will accept. But, just like exotic sports cars (think Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) the buyers are few and far between.

You should get a Ducati/Triumph/Honda etc if resale value is what worries you. Forget the MV.
Totally agree with the above. In the UK the RRP of a 2017 Rivale on the road is in excess of £11500 so you are potentially saving 4K. But I expect the Rivale you are looking at is an earlier model, ask which model year it is as Registration year means little come sale time, also ask if all service bulletins have been done or will be done upon purchase with paper evidence to back up.

Selling it on is another story altogether, many non MV dealers in the UK will not consider taking as a PX even against a new YamKawHonSuzTri as they will either have to pass it on to another dealer for little or no profit or have it taking up valuable showroom space for a long time. Ask a few dealers around your area to gauge local reaction.

However I love my Turismo and find my Multistrada gets left in the garage mostly, so test ride one or two and ask questions re Servicing costs and parts availability and decide if your pockets are deep enough to own what is a very special and rare motorcycle.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Many thanks for the input.

Im just a little concerned that MV have stopped selling these in the UK. I am weighing this up against the brutale 800 and even for a very similar machine the difference in price is huge.. I just like to make sure everything is transparent. The cots of the servicing seem perfectly acceptable and I just want to make sure I know the reason why they have not gone down well here?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 12:34 PM

New Site Garage
Buy the beauty and enjoy her. Dont think about selling her in the near future.
Bikes drop 20-30% in resale value after first year in my country so the dealer can resell it for 10-15% lower price point.

7500 pounds(8500 euros in my country) for Rivale is a nice price if u tell me for a late 2016/early 2017.
If I were to buy a 2016 with 0 miles I'd be looking at 13,000 pounds (14.500 euros).

Why would you sell an MV Agusta though? All fluids out and use it as a piece of art decoration in the living room

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in