Stradale/TV vs Brutale vs Caponord vs Stelvio - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By ShaunR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Stradale/TV vs Brutale vs Caponord vs Stelvio

Well this is my first post back here in 4 odd years I guess and it's interesting to see how things have changed. After selling my old F4 to another forum member here I've had several bikes of varying capacities from different manufacturers, but always fancied one of MV's triples. I'm done with sports bikes now (or at least my aching bones tell me so) therefore an F3 is out of the question. I've ridden both the Stelvio and the Caponord (which I like a lot) but I haven't ridden a 3 cylinder MV yet. I thought about kitting out a Brute 3 for touring, but of course the Stradale or TV seems to be the sensible option if I'm going down that route (if you'll excuse the pun).

Yes, I know its an MV forum so perhaps your replies might be somewhat biased , but I'm interested nonetheless. I won't be doing mega miles touring and I won't be carrying loads of gear either I just want something interesting to ride that will tolerate bimbling around on back roads looking at the scenery but can pick up its skirts and whip along motorways when necessary too. Your thoughts people?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Last edited by john; 06-20-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Welcome back, and OH GOD please look like the lady in your Avatar, hoping you made a typo and your real name is Joan. If not, here is my opinion on the sport bike comment and bones.
I'm on a Brutale 675 which by all means is the same triangular setup as any 3 cylinder brutale that I'm aware of. It's not an F3, the bars are up quite a bit, BUT, I still want more height from the bars as I find myself still leaning in uncomfortably. Have you been on the Monster 1200 series? The seat to bar setup is so nice, and the seats are just awesome. Not saying go buy a Ducati over the MV, but it will certainly be part of the buying process next time around for me.
Test rides are the way to go, demo days if you can find them so you get a good half hour test on each.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:20 AM

New Site Garage
TV all day long John.
Had a first gen Brutale now got a TV, the TV does everything the Brutale can, only better. It's a wolf in sheeps clothing and in the right hands will keep up with most things, personally the TV suits my kind and style of riding, I find it easier to ride quickly than the Brutale, more relaxed and more than capable in giving you all the excitement you want to have, in comfort!
The dales won't know what's hit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce
MY15
Edition1 Turismo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Welcome back , John....!

Gapalicious 2020 at
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 PM

New Site Garage
Hi John,
I owned a Brutale 800 for 3yrs and a Stradale for a year.

The Brutale 800 has a top end rush you won't get from a TV or Stradale also with such a short wheel base it's pretty flighty, not in a scary way, more a Wooooo-Hooooo way!

The Stradale is like a comfortable practical supermoto. Handles like it's on rails, will shows it rear to a superbike all day long on twisty B roads, comfy 2 up and practical enough for an overnight or weekend away, panniers aren't huge so don't expect too much. Also with nearly £3k knocked off the list price they are a bargain, with the slash in price the used market has taken a hit too, you can pick them up used for £7500 with a spattering of miles on them, that's a whole lot of spec for the money.

The down side, they are pretty tall so a long inside leg will be handy, same goes for the TV. I'm 5'8" I found it ok when on my own, could slide off to one side or the other to get a foot down flat but 2 up I was a little less confident. They are also an unpopular bike for MV (it looks like they've dropped it from the range) the price was the death nail I think, at £11,800 they sold hardly any, especially when the more versatile TV came out at £12k. MV decided to discount them to dealers hence the now new price of £9k which is more like it, in fact a bit of a bargain when you look at the spec of it. But it's not very popular so don't expect much of a trade in value for it should you sell it, dealers just don't want them because they are difficult to shift.

I got rid of mine because I got cold feet over it, my Brutale was faultless over 3yrs and 8000 miles but the Stradale had to have its sprag clutch replaced after 1200 miles and continuing issues with "Gas position errors" to be fair the dealer sorted it out of warranty but by then the Mrs wanted me to get rid of it and in my experience when the Mrs tells you to go shopping for a new bike you get on and do it before she changes her mind.

Given the choice I'd have another Brutale for me and my current bike the Kawasaki Z1000SX for taking the Mrs on the back/touring. Finances don't allow so it's just the SX for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:54 PM

I've had several of your choices, two 800 Brutales, a 1090RR, a TV and a Caponord as well as a Stradale. And no-one can advise you. Of the MVs the 800 Brutale RR and the 1090 are my current bikes and for me are the best. Brilliantly, wonderfully compliant to the rider's will, I hope they remain the apples of my eye. The Caponord is a full on tourer, the TV needs a bigger engine and the Stradale is a great town bike. The 800 RR has too small a fuel tank to tour, so i will be taking the 1090 to Europe come September. Go ride them all. They are all bloody brilliant but all totally different. Choice is good and it has never been a better time to choose.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Welcome back , John....!
Cheers Chuck, like I said, its been a while

Keep one wheel down!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 01:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Yes, and the times...they are a changin'

Gapalicious 2020 at
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsodurojohn View Post
Welcome back, and OH GOD please look like the lady in your Avatar, hoping you made a typo and your real name is Joan.
Test rides are the way to go, demo days if you can find them so you get a good half hour test on each.
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm only Joan at weekends and those damned high heels are crucifying my feet.

You are correct of course, test rides are the only way to go but I'm a little concerned about the build quality on 'modern' MV's. I'm going to be bikeless shortly apart from a little RD200 stroker I picked up last year and that only makes appearances on weekends (a bit like Joan!). So I need to get my act together and make a decision, thanks for the responses guys. :-)

Keep one wheel down!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
As a foot note to this thread, I did get a ride on a TV. ShaunR I agree with your comments, I just thought it needed a bit more torque if I was going to use it as an all rounder. So I bought a Travel Pack Caponord, I think the semi active suspension is excellent, not the prettiest bike out there perhaps but a very competant machine.

Keep one wheel down!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode