New member and potential owner here! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
New member and potential owner here!

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm pretty wordy. Consider this an introduction and a question. I'm somewhat in the same boat as Diavlo (link) since I'm also weighing the virtues of the Hypermotard SP vs the Rivale (2015 versions of both), but my concern is not as much reliability but character. Reading some of the experiences here has convinced me that MV is listening to the riders and correcting the reliability problems.

So I spent some time yesterday at Ducati Austin putting my butt in the saddle of both and I really prefer the Rivale for its dimensions and for looks and seat height to the SP. But the Hyper SP is doable for me too and felt like it had an even more open seating position. I like them both very much, this is my dilemma. It's important to note that I've been on a Honda 919 for 7-8 years and the moderate-aggressive seating and medium compactness of it is what I'm looking to change about my daily rider. I'm also in a position to spend a bit more money now than in my earlier years of riding, and I want to enjoy a premium chassis over parts-bin or bargain bits. Both the SP and Rivale have HP/Torque #'s in the neighborhood of my 919.

It came time to test drive and they didn't have a Rivale I could take out. Instead the guy had me take out a Brutale 800 in order to "experience the motor" and I thought this made some sense. They wheeled out the Brutale and started it, I sat on it grabbed the clutch notched it into gear and it died. So the Ducati was up first.

I enjoyed the hyper a lot. The motor seems like a grumpy bastard but when you twist the throttle it responds wonderfully! And abruptly, but I figured that's what this class is about. The throttle travel seems small so "a little goes a long way" when you twist your wrist. The shifting was pretty natural to me. Clutch also felt "normal". The instrumentation was much like my buddy's Multistrada...it might as well not even be there. I'm accustomed to analog, so this is something I will simply have to adapt to. The ride height and ergos were great. I came back with perma grin after rolling-on a couple of small wheelies. Impressed.

So why do I go into all this? It's because I was not impressed by the Brutale and I am looking to you guys to help me understand how the Rivale is different. The Brutale had a problem with it's kickstand down safety switch which was the consensus among those standing around when it died. They had that sorted by the time I was back, soooo....

The throttle on the brutale felt disconnected. Motorcycle dot com used the term "digital" and that is as good an adjective as any. The bike was surging and engine braking with my small inputs when I was trying to simply zip along. I was over-correcting for its lag. It responded much better to broad changes, rollons and rolloffs, than to tiny corrections like one might make in traffic to maintain safety zones at moderate speeds, 35-50 MPH. It chipped away at my confidence so I was not willing to roll it on as much as I would have liked, or as quickly. Perhaps due to that, the bike seemed weak and without torque. Not brutal at all. I expected shoulder-ripping acceleration, a rude sonofabitch, and it was not. The ride seemed stiffer than the SP but I was already not liking the riding position ... the Brutale reminded me of what I've become bored with about my 919, mainly holding my head up over annoying bumps (I'm high-wasted and the moderate seating of a naked is a pretty bent over position for me due to my shorter torso). So...maybe stiffer maybe not, the bumps are much less annoying when you're sitting upright. It also felt used....it felt like someone's beater, not tight or precise. Not "new". It wasn't all bad though...it cornered nicely from what I could tell and the clutch felt really solid. And that sound...MARONE it was a symphony!

(I wish now I had asked what year model the Brutale was)

The two motors couldn't be at more opposite ends of the spectrum after my short ride. The L-twin's abrupt low down grunt vs the ZIIIIINGy revvy street bike manners of the triple. But that's not what I'm really hoping you guys and gals will shed some light on (but by all means feel free to). To the point, was my experience with the Brutale indicative of the manners of the Rivale? Is this an MV Agusta "thing"? At the end of the day, nothing I experienced on the Brutale was something I couldn't adjust to as an experienced rider. I'm sure every throttle feels like home to somebody. But if the Rivale is like the Brutale, I'm going with the Ducati. And that is kinda sad because I'm more of a street biker than a hypermotarder. The ergos, and the promise of a gentleman's hooligan with street bias are tailor-made for me.

So also, I wanted to say hi to everyone here on the forum. I hope this whole post has infomed you about me a bit. Your stories have informed me greatly so thank you very much! I hope to be part of the MV Agusta family very soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 06:20 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:28 PM

The Rivale they have is a 2014. I bought the red/silver one. The 2015 is going to have an extra gallon of capacity, and it needs it. They are supposed to be getting a 2015 tank for mine. I was told they could do it when I bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Try a 1098 Brutale 4 cylinder.....very different from the 800.

Sounds like you liked the Ducati. Go for it. Yours is the only opinion that matters.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
The Rivale they have is a 2014. I bought the red/silver one. The 2015 is going to have an extra gallon of capacity, and it needs it. They are supposed to be getting a 2015 tank for mine. I was told they could do it when I bought it.
Howdy X, I sat on your bike! I was bummed it was gone when I came back to the shop. Small world. I told Mark that the little gas tank was a show stopper for me on the 2014 and he explained the retro deal. I also want a red one, so I'm sorta stuck waiting until one comes in.

What's your opinion on the throttle response?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Try a 1098 Brutale 4 cylinder.....very different from the 800.

Sounds like you liked the Ducati. Go for it. Yours is the only opinion that matters.
I hear ya on that one. I want to make sure I give the Rivale a fair shake, though. I do prefer it over the 'Tard for other reasons. Hopefully the shop will let me ride the Rivale they have so I can make a quick decision.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 04:04 PM

Welcome Booker. That's were I got my F3 and those guys provide great customer service. Hit me up when you get your new wheels and we can go for a ride.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker T Beatnut View Post

What's your opinion on the throttle response?
The sport map is jerky, on and off throttle. Normal is very smooth. The custom map lets you make quite a few adjustments.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDUBB View Post
Welcome Booker. That's were I got my F3 and those guys provide great customer service. Hit me up when you get your new wheels and we can go for a ride.
Howdy TDUBB thanks for the info and the offer, I'll definitely reach out once I have this "problem" solved. lol
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
The sport map is jerky, on and off throttle. Normal is very smooth. The custom map lets you make quite a few adjustments.
That's good info, thanks X.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode