Help! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Help!

Hi everyone, after some advice!!
I'm in the process of sorting myself a new bike and I've got it down to a rivale or ducati hypermotard sp.
Thing is I'm not convinced how reliable the mv will be (tin hat on), so a honest review would be appreciated before I spend my children's inheritance!
Both dealers are about 35 mile away so I don't want too many trips there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:16 PM

New Site Garage
I have two older Ducs that are very reliable. My '08 MV F4 was very reliable to me for over five years, and still so with the friend I sold it to. That being said, I have a friend with a new Duc Multistrada that has been somewhat less reliable, and you'll find posts on this board of newer MV's that are somewhat less reliable. My gut feeling is that the reliability of the two bikes you're considering will be a wash. The Hyper has a new 821cc motor, and the Rivale has a newish 800cc motor. Both have newer electronics packages, which tend to add to potential reliability issues.

I've only had my Rivale for 5 months and other than the throttle bodies needing to by sync'd, it has been perfect. Again, only 5 months though.

I'd suggest buying whichever you like the best, and assume reliability will be about equal, though any bike can have an issue.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, my heart says mv as I think it's a better looking machine with a higher spec, also there are none around this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:33 PM

New Site Garage
Have you ridden them both? I rode an early generation Hypermotard years ago (haven't ridden the newer ones), and the Rivale has the fun edge in my experience, over the older Hypers.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 PM

New Site Garage
Also be aware if you do big miles on your bikes, the MV will need servicing twice as often as the Duke?

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackers View Post
Also be aware if you do big miles on your bikes, the MV will need servicing twice as often as the Duke?
Any manufacturer can "claim" whatever they want. If you think the MV will need more maintenance then a Desmo motor I have some land in the Bahamas I will sell you for cheap. Keep drinking the Ducati koolaid.

I've owned 5 Ducati's over the years, 2 of which I still own. I've owned 6 MV's over the years, 4 of which I still own. The Ducati Desmo's always require more maintenance. And when Ducati says the first valve adjustment is at 6000, 7500, or 12000 miles, anyone who doesn't check them at 600 is crazy!!! My latest Desmo is a '12 Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse addtion. At 1700 miles the bike was running funny, idle was inconsistant, and it was popping pretty bad on decel. I pulled the bike apart and checked the valves - finding 1 exhaust valve with ZERO clearance on both the opening and closer rocker arms. Luckily the cam wasn't damaged. First adjustment was suppose to be at 7500 miles. Yeah, right.

When I bouight the '12 Hyper, the '13 had just come out. I rode both. In my humble opinion the '12 has ton's of character and great torque. It feels more like a supermotard bike. The '13 is kinda boring, electric, and feels more like street bike. And BTW, the moto rags are correct - the clutch really does suck!

When the Rivale came out I test rode it and bought it the same day. The Rivale is an amazing machine. One of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden in my life. Tons for power and character. The chassis is phenomenal. The fueling is probably the best I've felt from a factory tune on a performance bike. I did have a couple small problems when the bike was new such as the stalling issue with the original map and a bad tail light, but all was remedied quickly by my dealer.

Since buying the Rivale, my '12 Hyper sits abandoned in the garage. I still love the the Hyper because it's the last air-cooled traditional Hyper and looks cool , but the Rivale is so much more fun to ride, so I always hop on it rather than the Hyper when wanting to ride that style bike.

I'd definately go for the Rivale.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

^^Thanks that's very helpfull

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode