B3 Suspension Settings - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Pug

B3 Suspension Settings

Have read about others changing the suspension and having it done by "guru's" so perhaps we could start a listing to help others, or confuse?
I set mine up with trial and error over 5 months doing one small change at a time and is set for twisty tight mountain range riding, I am 85kgs ready to ride.
Measurements are listed by same method as per the owners manual.
I found the standard settings too soft for my liking, could get a bit of a wallow up but now is firm and stable and as a bonus it does not
headshake anywhere as much as before - no steering damper fitted.

Front

Preload = 9 turns
Rebound = 0.5 turn
Compression = 2.5 turns

Rear
Preload = 2 turns harder from standard approx 14mm of thread above locknut
Rebound = 1 turn
Compression = 1.5 turns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pug For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 06:26 AM

Pug,

Will check my set-up and post later, one thing I did do which I feel improved the bike was I pulled the front forks up through the yolks (triple trees to you US guys).

The fork top caps measured at 90 degree to the head stock to the top yolk is now 17mm. Certainly feels a lot better to me, if we had a ride height adjuster on the rear that would have been my first option.

jimboF4
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 AM

New Site Garage
I'm 87kgs or 13st 10lb in old money, ready to ride.

Preload front and rear left as standard, the adjustment needed was so small it really wasn't worth it.

Front:
Compression - 1.5 turns out
Rebound - 0.25 turns out

Rear:
Compression - 3 turns out
Rebound - 1.5 turns out

I had this set up by a guru and it has made a world of difference, at first I thought the compression damping must be too firm as the bike was kicking up off the bumps and I thought it wasn't absorbing them but in actual fact it was more a case of the rebound damping that was far too soft resulting in the forks and shock extending far too quickly. It now handles much better and the head shakes have reduced dramatically and I don't have a steering damper either. The guy who set it up for me said the Sachs shock wasn't a bad unit but the forks do not have enough rebound adjustment in them and it was only the last half turn that made any difference, this is due to the budget valves typical of standard suspension so these would benefit from replacement internals.

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Great initiative.

Eager to try your settings. I'm around 90kg's @ 196cm.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Established Member

I would imagine that a guy who set up bikes for Polen and Corser can hook up an MV for a wanna-be-road racer. Well Phil at Ferracci is the guru extraordinaire and he set me up. I'm 182 lbs 5'8".

Haven't had a chance to "test" out his handy work due to the weather.
These are Phil's actual notes....
Attached Images

Jeffo
I get along with the voices I hear in my head....

2014 Brutale 800 brutale:
1995 Ducati 916
1999 Aprilia RS250

Goped Super GSR 46 R

Goped Bigfoot

Sig Sauer
z
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 03:34 AM

New Site Garage
I think while these settings may be helpful, it's a good idea to note that with budget mass produced standard suspension the exact tolerances during production are probably pretty low so what may work for one set of forks/shock may not be the same on another?

For example Yojeffo's settings, while very similar on the rear the forks are completely different?

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Pug

jimboF4

I am surprised you dropped the forks through and lowered the bike, that would quicken the steering even more and at higher speeds I would be mindfull of what I already consider a flighty bike.
Once I played with the idea going the other way and push the forks further through the yoke to try and lengthen the wheelbase and slow down the steering a bit.
On another note my TRX 850 really does perform well with the front dropped and the rear lifted.
We all like them set up differently and as noted in the post above these unfortunately are not scientific instruments we are dealing with here, 2 turns on one bike might equal 1 turn on another.
You also would have lost some ground clearance dropping the forks through, I scrape both riders pegs now, however I have replaced the original pegs with a pair of Oberon ones from Design Corse.

post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Pug

Rear setup help

Thanks to Ackers for contributing to this, and others, as the common line was most were happy with rear but not happy with the front.
I was the reverse, front sorted with most having virtually the same setup, but the difference was for me was the back felt odd, I noticed I had my rear comp screwed in and Ackers had his screwed out.
Got me thinking and I tried Ackers setting on the rear and Bingo. much much better, I was taking it in the wrong direction.
Thanks heaps.

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:14 AM

New Site Garage
No worries, the invoice is in the post
The guy who set it up for me is a master, he just asked me what it was doing and after checking the preload was ok he then he twiddled his screwdriver, bounced the bike up and down a few times and said "there you go, not as good as I'd like it but it'll be like night and day compared to what it was"

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Established Member

Nice settings

Although I like it a bit on the firm side, it was behaving like a bucking bronco in the rear at standard settings. Tried your settings Ackers and found it much improved. Luckily I am around the same weight so your settings were good for me also. Cheers for postings.👍

Do it! Do it now! Don't be a girlie man.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode