B3 Suspension Settings - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Established Member

The best thing that worked for me is adding preload on the forks and shock, my major problem was that the suspension was not soaking up imperfections in the road, it felt too harsh. Now the front is like butter, the back is much better but not as good as the front, will try to take some measurements and see if i can add more preload without going out of the norm.
Then a messed with the compression and rebound and found something i like....
I weigh 83 kgs without my gear...
Front C 2.5
R 1.5
Preload maybe 5 turns in front standard
Back C 3.5 ( all the way )
R 1.5
Preload couple of turns in from standard 6 to 7 threads showing on top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 PM

New Site Garage
Did you measure the bike and rider sag and set the pre-load, before you began messing with rebound and compression?

http://racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm
http://www.ohlins.com/PageFiles/304/...eight_MCRT.jpg

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"

Last edited by italia; 05-06-2014 at 02:08 PM.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
Did you measure the bike and rider sag and set the pre-load, before you began messing with rebound and compression?

http://racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm
http://www.ohlins.com/PageFiles/304/...eight_MCRT.jpg
Yes it was done by a ohlins guy, this is ghe first thing one should do, he set the right sag for me, the front sag was big so he aded preload, kept the back preload standard as the sag was right at this end, so the front was smooth as butter but the back was still not soacking the bumps, i did some reading and according to the sag numbers i have and the average concent i decided i had a bit of margin to play with so i aded preload to the back and it feels smoother now. I want to take measurements again to be sure all is still in balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:55 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB1973 View Post
Yes it was done by a ohlins guy, this is ghe first thing one should do, he set the right sag for me, the front sag was big so he aded preload, kept the back preload standard as the sag was right at this end, so the front was smooth as butter but the back was still not soacking the bumps, i did some reading and according to the sag numbers i have and the average concent i decided i had a bit of margin to play with so i aded preload to the back and it feels smoother now. I want to take measurements again to be sure all is still in balance.
Good deal.

Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of people who buy motorcycles and start clicking the tops of forks without knowing the first thing about suspension set up. We really need a sticky here with some good links to suspension set up, so people at least have basic information to decide if they want to try it themselves or hire it out to a suspension technician.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
Good deal.

Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of people who buy motorcycles and start clicking the tops of forks without knowing the first thing about suspension set up. We really need a sticky here with some good links to suspension set up, so people at least have basic information to decide if they want to try it themselves or hire it out to a suspension technician.
Yeah for sure, in the same time some people buy a bike and never touch the suspension, one ohlins guy told me that we shouldn't be afraid to explore and try things as long as we know how to get back to standard setting if we mess things up... This way we can understand it better or get more confused for that matter
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 10:16 AM
Established Member

Like I said before the front feels much better but the back is killing me.
Comfort, safety and fun factor are all affected.
The bike kicks me in the ass on any small bump or imperfection on the road to the extend that my feet jump of the pegs and it happened that i changed gear as a result without wanting. My organs are suffering specially if I don't see the bump and don't have time to stand on the pegs.
I will try again different settings but I am leaning towards upgrading the shock.
On my previous bike I was not satisfied from the forks and never upgraded them and I really regret because I did not take full advantage of the ability of the really nice Hypermotard 1100... i don't want to do the same mistake.
Any recommendations of a nice aftermarket shock?

Benelli 1130 cafe racer
Ducati hypermotard 1100 2009 sold
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:29 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB1973 View Post
Like I said before the front feels much better but the back is killing me.
Comfort, safety and fun factor are all affected.
The bike kicks me in the ass on any small bump or imperfection on the road to the extend that my feet jump of the pegs and it happened that i changed gear as a result without wanting. My organs are suffering specially if I don't see the bump and don't have time to stand on the pegs.
I will try again different settings but I am leaning towards upgrading the shock.
On my previous bike I was not satisfied from the forks and never upgraded them and I really regret because I did not take full advantage of the ability of the really nice Hypermotard 1100... i don't want to do the same mistake.
Any recommendations of a nice aftermarket shock?
Look at the forum sponsors, most of them have options for replacement shocks.
Just to be on the sure side, what have you got your compression damping and rebound damping set on now ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Look at the forum sponsors, most of them have options for replacement shocks.
Just to be on the sure side, what have you got your compression damping and rebound damping set on now ?
On the shock it is, compression all the way out minus 0.25 turn, rebounb 1.5 out i think....

Benelli 1130 cafe racer
Ducati hypermotard 1100 2009 sold
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:04 PM

New Site Garage
Well I would wind the compression in a bit, don't touch anything else yet. Always only adjust one thing at a time. See what that does. Then close the rebound a little, to slow the returning spring down a bit. Be careful on the rebound adjustment.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:04 PM

First took a measurement off the stock settings. Compared these to the settings provided by MV. It's not quite the same, you would think it would:
Front:
C: Stock = 2.0, MV = 2.5
R: Stock = 3.0, MV = 2.5

Rear:
C: Stock = 2.5, MV = 2.5
R: Stock = 2.25, MV = 2.0

Now i've set them the same as Ackers. Same weight and from what i understand same style of driving. Fast tourers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode