Brake problem - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I'll flush the system and change the pads. That's sure.

But I'm afraid something is wrong with the master cylinder. Something like the knurl mentioned, like a clog (dirt or something). Is there a way to open the master cylinder and see whats wrong? And by doing so is there anything I can F*** up ?

So little time, so much to do. (Churchill)

Don't forget to live your dreams !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Just realised who you are lol Hi Simon....

Im Not sure about the master cylinder internals mate-

Try new pads & check the pistons at the same time

Flush the old fluid and replace with new 5.1

Take it for a steady test ride and see how it goes-

If it persists then zap us back on here- it may need a new lever / master cylinder but id seriously doubt it

Just talk to yourself and convince yourself you deserve the best and go and get new lines and a shiny pair of Brembo RCS Radial Levers
Attached Images

"The first rule of Italian driving: Whats behind me is not important" 'The Gumball Rally' 1976

Last edited by MvMerito; 03-11-2012 at 04:57 PM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Wink

James, you realize you have just updated my bike's wishlist.

But first I have to wait for my master mechanic to give me the news on what's wrong. And then have a look at my piggy bank, to see whats left inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 AM

New Site Garage
Use Dot 4 mate, Dot 5.1 is overkill on the raod and as Joe mentioned, goes off even quicker. Changing pads have nothing to do with your problem, but while your at it take a look at them.
You can remove the M/C and dip it in brakefluid for a short time while pumping it to make sure you get any blockages out. I don't suppose you had a chance to check if it was both calipers sticking ?
My money would be on it being one of the calipers, these Nissin M/C's are pretty reliable in general, not so much the calipers though.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 AM

Skonda,

If you need an o/e mastercylinder, I have a new unused one spare. I may also have a used one. Hopefully you can fix this without needing to change your mastercylinder though. Let me know if you need any help.

joe
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

@Donsy: When this happened to me I checked both the calipers, and in my opinion both were gripping. But I'm not 100% sure.

The facts are: On Both sides the pads were touching the disc, the pistons were in the outer position, the temperature on both sides was the same. The wheel was blocked. ----> So I assume both calipers were gripping. (But I'm not a expert mechanic)

@Joe: Thank you for your offer. As soon as I discover what caused this problem and if I'll need a new nissin master cylinder I'll contact you.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Established Member

On cause for this that I did not see, my apologies if I just missed it, is over filling the master cylinder reservoir. This happened to me once and I took each caliper one at a time and with it off the bike pulled the brake lever very slowly. I observed how the pistons moved. One moved more freely than the other. I let come out a little but not enough to fall our and cleaned it thoroughly with a tooth brush and WD40. I then pushed it back in, and then locked it in place with a small C clamp. I blocked the other four and made the opposite one come out some and cleaned it and then blocked off those two and continued this until I had cleaned all six. I cleaned off the mounting pins for the brake pads with some fine steel wool. I also removed the rattle clips so the pads would move freely back away from the rotor.

I now have better feel and the brake no longer locks. Of course I flushed the whole system at this time and made sure it was not over full.

Jim
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs up +10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
On cause for this that I did not see, my apologies if I just missed it, is over filling the master cylinder reservoir. This happened to me once and I took each caliper one at a time and with it off the bike pulled the brake lever very slowly. I observed how the pistons moved. One moved more freely than the other. I let come out a little but not enough to fall our and cleaned it thoroughly with a tooth brush and WD40. I then pushed it back in, and then locked it in place with a small C clamp. I blocked the other four and made the opposite one come out some and cleaned it and then blocked off those two and continued this until I had cleaned all six. I cleaned off the mounting pins for the brake pads with some fine steel wool. I also removed the rattle clips so the pads would move freely back away from the rotor.

I now have better feel and the brake no longer locks. Of course I flushed the whole system at this time and made sure it was not over full.

Jim
You are spot on there Jim - overfilling can cause lock-up too.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs down overfilling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
You are spot on there Jim - overfilling can cause lock-up too.
Donsy;
i don't think so.....with radial Brembo M/C on my Aprilia it takes ~300PSI to get the tire to squeal.....i measured it

with the rubber accordion gaskets in M/Cs you won't have any pressure, how can you create pressure as you screw the cover down?

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Donsy;
i don't think so.....with radial Brembo M/C on my Aprilia it takes ~300PSI to get the tire to squeal.....i measured it

with the rubber accordion gaskets in M/Cs you won't have any pressure, how can you create pressure as you screw the cover down?
1. Ignore protocol
2. Push accordian ALL the way folded up and in...or forget to put in...
3. Make DAHAMN sure your pistons have been pushed to the "out" limit agaisnt the discs
4. Overflow your reservoir spilliing over theedge on a level surfac
5. Plug the vent in the reservoir cap
6. Cram the cap on

Gapalicious 2020 at
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode