Odd Handling - MVAgusta.net
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Odd Handling

G'day All,
Some may have read here about the quirk in handling that I have with my 2000 F4 750 Through corners it wants to fall into the corner. That is when you go into a left hand corner then I have to push quite hard on the left hand bar to keep it from wanting to steer in on its self. When going through a right hand corner then I have to push hard on the right hand bar. A concerted effort has to be made to keep it steered out of the corner. My son has a 99-2000 F4 750 as well and his is perfect through corners. Mine has had new tyers, suspension settings returned to factory specs then variations tried. Forks have been up and down through the triple clamps, spring ride heights moved about but it still does the same, nothing changes.

I have oft read in magazines etc. that F4s have adjustable rake but have not seen any where how it is ajusted.. Can some one point me in the direction to where and how this is done

I have been riding 50s, 60s and 70s British bikes for 48 years as daily transport. My sons Ducati and MV also all go very easily around corners, the bars can be held between fingers and thumbs and they just waft around. Why won't my MV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:15 PM

Have you checked your ride height with the Link Rod Screw? It might be set too high -- too far turned out. What about having your suspension configured to your weight? Also, tire pressure to 33?
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:25 PM

Idea... pick a common visual marker on each bike towards the furthest point near each brake light. Drop a measurement from that point to the ground while holding each bike straight up. Try this without sitting on each bike. If your bike measurement is greater than your son's bike then your ride height is set too high, too great -- given you said his bike rides well for you and it's the same model.

UPDATE:
Check this image posted by Alex on his store. It's an easy reference to help visualize the ride height linkage. (Suspension Link Rod)
https://mygpracing.com/product/suspe...d-f4-pre-2010/

Last edited by Edward; 01-12-2020 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added link to help visualize
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 PM

New Site Garage
This "potentially" sounds like a frame geometry issue. Do you know the history of the bike? - Was it involved in a small crash?

New tyres and updating the suspension will highlight a problem that may be masked earlier.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 10:03 PM

On the other end of the bike have you checked the health of the steering bearings and stem?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I have set the bike back to factory suspension settings and started from there. The ride height has been varied incrementally up and down including with me aboard. I don't know the history of the bike but the fact that it is the same both left and right, not biased one way or the other, tends to say all is straight with it. My previous experience with steering head bearings is that they become notchy, balls or rollers dropping into divots, but there is no eveidence of this even with the front end suspended. Oh, I forgot to mention that the book says 33 PSI tyre pressure front and back but I have incrementally gone up to 42 PSI front and back and variations of.
Googling this problem shows that I am not alone with this with others having the same problem with different bikes.

Ken.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:46 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Check your ride height again.
42psi in your tyres is way too high for a MV.
Stick to 33 as the manual suggests.
I don't understand part of your comment
You say when you tip the bike into a L/H corner and push on the L/H bar (countersteer)
that will make the bike tip over further.
Well that's what countersteering does on any bike.
You are making the bike lean over further.
So I don't get your problem.
theknurl, gotojoe, ceepee and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:06 AM

Countersteering aside: How are your front calipers working, evenly between the two? Is one not working? Are you braking into turns?

Last edited by Edward; 01-13-2020 at 12:08 AM.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
Check your ride height again.
42psi in your tyres is way too high for a MV.
Stick to 33 as the manual suggests.
I don't understand part of your comment
You say when you tip the bike into a L/H corner and push on the L/H bar (countersteer)
that will make the bike tip over further.
Well that's what countersteering does on any bike.
You are making the bike lean over further.
So I don't get your problem.
G'day Mitchy. Whilst going through a LH corner I have to maintain heavy pushing preasure on the LH bar, its pushing back against me If I relax that pressure then the bike will rapidly and increasingly run in towards the inside of the corner. If I want to take a wider line through the corner it takes a fair bit of pressure (push) to make it run wider. It takes concerntration and a fair bit of effort to keep it from running right into the inside of the corner, into the dirt. Same thing on RH corners. Now, on my Norvin, Vincents, BSA R3, Ducati Monster 659, my sons MV, Ducati S4R, Ducati 600 Monster, once they are in the corner, I can hold the bars between thumb and fore finger and they just waft around. If I was game enough I am quite sure that I could go around with my hands right off the handle bars.

Ken.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Countersteering aside: How are your front calipers working, evenly between the two? Is one not working? Are you braking into turns?
Not braking into turns Edward, just riding around open road corners. It will do it on small slow in town corners as well. The only difference I have noticed with the braking between the two is that my sons MV seems to have a more solid lever, mine a softer lever. Under similar braking my front brake lever comes further back and is a touch softer, his lever is further out and a touch harder.

Ken.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode