My Suspension Journey - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
My Suspension Journey

Whilst I've often heard the phrase 'Suspension is everything' or 'setting up your suspension will reduce your lap times',it's not till fairly recently I decided to begin focusing on it after many years of motorcycle ownership. It's not that I've thought that it wasn't important. It's become obvious that as my skill and speed on track is advancing, the quality of the suspension is starting to require some attention. A front end wash out and lowside on a fast corner was the end result of poorly setup/maintained suspension pushed to it's limits with nowhere else to go.
Subsequently, back in the workshop, the air gap in the forks was checked and I found that it was greater than the Workshop Manual recommendation so I increased the oil level and reduced the air gap 10mm beyond the recommendation.
While I have the pre-load maxed out, this has prevented the suspension from bottoming out according to the cable tie's position on the fork's inner tube. The next step for the front is to purchase some springs to match my weight (100kg) a relatively cheap upgrade. Some more re-tuning when these are installed.
With the front end sorted for the time being I'm now working on the rear suspension. My 312r has the stock Sachs rear shock which has had little attention in the 5-6 years that I've owned the bike.
I've known for some time that the hydraulic pre-load adjuster was knackered(common problem) and had dismantled the adjuster and put in 1-2 neat fitting washers to push the piston down to gain some pre-load with some success.
Recently I discovered some vertical play in the rear wheel caused by a, pretty much, collapsed bearing in the top mount of the rear shock. I wasn't aware that there were bearings in there until I did some searching on the forum http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33540
I had decided to look at purchasing a new unit at around the $1500-$1800 mark for something reasonable. This would take some time to achieve as I have a minimum budget to play with so in the mean time I would take it to a local bloke who I'd heard about but never had the need to meet. This guy is a whole other story but briefly, an ex WSBK bike mechanic pretty much retired, has a little run down, tucked away shed in the industrial area where he does restorations, complex work for people, if he likes the look of you. Keeps pretty quiet, hard to catch and I would kindly label him eccentric and genius.
We got on well and after a long discussion about suspension and it's(now obvious) importance I left it with him and returned the next day (several times to catch him). He seemed excited to show me what he'd done. The hydraulic pre-load system had been removed and replaced with a manual threaded lock-ring system which I was stoked about and he had re-gassed and serviced the shock, as in replace the oil, checked seals etc. The lock-rings showed signs of use but I didn't give a toss, as long as it functioned correctly. I was pleased with what he had done and payed him a bit extra(Total-$180) than what he quoted because potentially he had saved me having to buy a new shock.
I'm currently replacing the bearings in the top and bottom mounts (the above link for those interested) which has come to a halt as they have to come from Singapore which is a few days delivery time.
All will be revealed next track day of coarse but I'm sure it will be an improvement. Particularly in the area of adjustment and fine tuning.

What I've learnt so far is that the OEM suspension system supplied with the bike is very workable and of a reasonable quality. It can be pulled down, serviced and parts can be replaced or improved. Sometimes we can be all to quick to just go out and by a brand new system when a bit of time and interest can save you $$$. Its nice to have something new and shiny but in the instance of track days and racing it's interesting to see a bike that is an ugly duckling and on appearances to be worth $2000 fly past a bike that looks to be worth $20000 + like it's standing still
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current 2008 F4 312R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Track Bike
Past '93 Ducati 900 SS
'82 Suzuki GSX 1100 SZ Katana
? Suzuki GS 850 G Shaft Drive
? Honda XL 500
'82 Suzuki GSX 750 SZ Katana
'76 Honda CB 750 Four K6
In my Youth Suzuki RM 80 C
Yamaha YZ 80 C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:10 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Yes, the MV suspension is not like the crap that comes on lesser bikes. Sounds like you found the "Go To" guy for service.

Obviously, you got used parts for your shock repairs, but that doesn't affect performance.

The old adage about fast race bikes is "look good from 50 feet at 50 mph'... up close standing still, not so much. Even the top factory race teams have some sketchy looking body panel fitments when you get up close.
AusMV312 likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Whilst I love the MV's form it's the function that I get the most kicks. The wisest decision I made was to turn it into a track bike. It's what they had in mind when designing it. The importance of the aesthetic value of the bike dropped away which was a relief in a way. Keeping it shiny and perfect was hard work. As a track bike it's bloody awesome and serious fun.
Really looking forward to seeing how the suspension work will improve confidence and lap times.
esq'z me and NotThatFast like this.

Current 2008 F4 312R
Track Bike
Past '93 Ducati 900 SS
? Honda XL 500
'76 Honda CB 750 Four K6
Yamaha YZ 80 C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:55 AM

Any idiot can go fast in a straight line - going round corners is where it counts.

Money spent on suspension and, more importantly, time spent on setting it up is well worth it.

My advice now would be to bribe a mate with beer and spend an afternoon setting the sag and then ride. If you make any subsequent changes, change 1 thing at a time and keep lots of notes. So many people tinker with suspension settings and make it worse.

Proud owner of a 2015 F4 and a graduate of the school of 'stupid hurts!'
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Funny that you say that, just got it sorted for next week when I’m back home again.
The fellow who worked on my shock has offered to help with the sag etc. And yep! Photo copied a spreadsheet from a suspension website with all the points down one side etc. to take to the track
Attached Images

Current 2008 F4 312R
Track Bike
Past '93 Ducati 900 SS
? Honda XL 500
'76 Honda CB 750 Four K6
Yamaha YZ 80 C
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Got a question for the engineer types out there........ why are there spherical bearings in the rear shock mounts?
I would have thought that the the motion of the rear system being on a vertical plain that there would be virtually zero movement in any other direction. The outer caps fit firmly into the central circumference of the bearing further negating any movement of the spherical part, backing this theory up.

Current 2008 F4 312R
Track Bike
Past '93 Ducati 900 SS
? Honda XL 500
'76 Honda CB 750 Four K6
Yamaha YZ 80 C
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:27 AM

You have the answer in your question. The swingarm flexes and has some lateral movement especially when racing
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Tuned side flex is a critical element in racing chassis/suspension development....at high lean angles suspension cannot react to bumps in the track...chassis and suspension flex is what absorbs the bumps.
Glenno likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Bearings arrived (ex Singapore!) a few days ago. I've pressed them in with the vice and suitable socket followed by installing the seals and pressing the outer caps in then re-installed the shock.
Installing the manual spring preload lock rings and spacer has increased preload by 5mm compared to the hydraulic system and is quite noticeable. Clickers are set to Track Specs in the manual.
I stumbled across a 'How to service your Ohlins Steering Damper' link in the 'Tech Tips and Resources For All' section on the forum so I've done that too in the mean time. http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41145
Attached Images

Current 2008 F4 312R
Track Bike
Past '93 Ducati 900 SS
? Honda XL 500
'76 Honda CB 750 Four K6
Yamaha YZ 80 C
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusMV312 View Post
Funny that you say that, just got it sorted for next week when Iím back home again.
The fellow who worked on my shock has offered to help with the sag etc. And yep! Photo copied a spreadsheet from a suspension website with all the points down one side etc. to take to the track
Here is the link to that spreadsheet guide:
https://www.teknikmotorsport.com/ass...etup_Guide.pdf
Printable

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s
Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in