Need to Replace Brake Rotors - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Need to Replace Brake Rotors

So I need to replace the front rotors. I am sure there will be many different opinions on this, and I thought I'd just see what people thought.

When I bought the bike 6 1/2 years and over 40,000 miles ago, it had Braketech Iron rotors on it. I didn't know anything about them except that I knew they weren't the originals and I liked them aesthetically. My first long trip on the bike it rained almost the entire trip and I had been on the freeway for about an hour when I got off at a low speed off ramp. I literally had no braking power no matter how hard I pulled the brake lever! I pressed the rear brake as best I could and kept pumping the front brake and it finally bit enough. Anyway, that's when I found out that iron rotors are terrible in rain. Not only that, the whole front of my bike was covered in rust when I finally reached my hotel after 8 hours of riding.

So, luckily I live near San Diego where rain is rare and I have an old pickup that I can use to get to work on rainy days. But, I always thought if I ever had to replace the pads or rotors, maybe I should look into stainless steel.

I was detailing the bike a couple of days ago and noticed the wear shown in the photos below. I actually emailed Braketech the same photos and their response was the I needed to replace the carrier and bobbins because the carriers "appear to be worn past their usable limit on the thrust faces". New carriers and bobbins would be about $430 total. However, they don't have the carriers in stock and won't be running another batch until later October. The rotors themselves haven't worn noticeably - they are still 5 mm thick, which is what I remember them measuring years ago.

So, the question is, do I order a new set from MV? Do I get something like the Braketech stainless steel rotors? It would be cheaper to replace the carriers and I love the way the brakes feel and look, but I think I would be better off with stainless steel for the kind of riding I do. I would miss the clankety-clank they make all the time and weird looks I get from people when I push the bike around, of course.

I am not a fast rider. I try to do one track day a year, but I am in the slow-poke group, so you could argue that I don't need anything special braking-wise.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my conundrum.

The photos show the wear on the thrust face (you can see the metal pealing back) and how much the rotor can move from one extreme to the other radially.
Attached Images

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 07:08 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Get some T-Drive rotors from Brembo..... That's a lot of wear on those buttons. Don't think I would trust just replacing the carrier and buttons.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:13 AM

I have the same Iron rotors and have never had any problems. The fact they got wet should not have caused your problem. They do require specific pads to work at their optimum which are the Ferodo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
I have the same Iron rotors and have never had any problems. The fact they got wet should not have caused your problem. They do require specific pads to work at their optimum which are the Ferodo.

I wasn't implying that them getting wet was causing the wear. That was just an observation and explanation as to why I don't think I want to continue using iron rotors. Even Braketech recommends not getting the iron rotors if you ride in the rain. From their website:
"But get them wet – they’re going to rust. If you’re a fair weather rider, then it’s a non-event and not an issue. However, if you ride distances where inclement weather is a definite possibility, you’re better off with our AXIS/Cobra stainless steel series in the optimized petal design."
I am sure if you race in the rain, it is different because you are constantly using the brakes and therefore keeping them "clear" of rust/water buildup. But I guarantee you ride for a while in the rain without using them and they will not work. I had it happen multiple times on my bad weather trip years ago. After the first time, I learned to drag the brakes ahead of when I planned on using them which helped a lot, but obviously that isn't the safest tactic on the street.

How many miles do you have on your brakes? As I said above, I have at least 40,000 miles which I would guess is rare.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Established Member

Which bike, versions?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty5 View Post
Which bike, versions?
His signature says 2008 910R

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 06:12 PM

I have a set of BrakeTech Iron rotors on another brand and really like them , unbelievable difference from OEM SS. Looking at yours they don’t look they’ve worn at all. If Jeff @ BrakeTech can get you Axis SS it might be worth a shot. GL

even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode