Suspension setup - MVAgusta.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Pockomoth Send a message via MSN to Pockomoth Send a message via Yahoo to Pockomoth
Suspension setup

Looked assertions the forum, most of toy seem to have the Lusso, I have a standard, trying to get suspension setup, but everything I try seems to soft. Anyone had ant luck with a firm but tolerable setup?

I used the recommendations from the owners manual, preload front should be full counter clockwise (OM says start at full counter clockwise, but 6 turns for comfort, 12 turns for sport suggest the opposite? ). Still the forks bottom on moderate braking. Any one had good luck with setting up a suspension?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:57 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Fork pre-load starting position (full counter clockwise) is full soft. As you wind in the adjuster you tighten (increase) spring pre-load.

How heavy are you, and what loads are you carrying? Perhaps you need a stiffer spring? You can also change the weight and air gap of the oil to increase damping and end-of-stroke travel.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Pockomoth Send a message via MSN to Pockomoth Send a message via Yahoo to Pockomoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Fork pre-load starting position (full counter clockwise) is full soft. As you wind in the adjuster you tighten (increase) spring pre-load.

How heavy are you, and what loads are you carrying? Perhaps you need a stiffer spring? You can also change the weight and air gap of the oil to increase damping and end-of-stroke travel.
I'm 195, and just me right now, along with empty panniers. I'm still in break-in mode, so easy peasy on the gas, but fork dive is a lot more than what I'm used to on my Ducati St4S and Motus. Rear suspension floats a lot more too. Thought I was misunderstanding how the shocks work, but no I guess I need to put some heavier fork oil in there. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:36 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Do your forks have adjustable damping? If so, increasing slow speed damping will also help. Pre-load should be set to achieve desired sag, not anti-dive characteristics.

Hope you can sort it out.

And how do you like the Motus ???
Fastspy and Fastspy like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Established Member

It's possible that the front end is undersprung for your weight. Do you have a suspension shop anywhere near by that can do a set up for you? It's normally pretty darn cheap to do. Otherwise (well in addition to ) I recommend doing some reading about suspension and how to properly set up a bike.

GO on to Youtube and search for Dave Moss setting sag. There is a video of him doing the set up on a white GSX-R. The measurements he uses will be fine for a street bike! It seems a little complicated but its all good information to have. You will be miles ahead of anyone else and will be able to enjoy your bike more since you will be able to make it work for you!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:57 PM

New Site Garage
Post all your settings.

Preload:

Compression:

Rebound:

How do you know you are bottoming out? Is it bottoming on a single brake effort? Or, is it from just driving over bumps and the suspension never fully extends between bumps leading to it compressing rather than maintaining proper ride height(sag)? 195 pounds is not enough to be causing what we think is happening.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider78rr View Post
Do you have a suspension shop anywhere near by that can do a set up for you? It's normally pretty darn cheap to do.
Top tip. I have done exactly that and noticed the difference on leaving the shop.

It's the best solution for those of us who might not be so confident in the first instance. I think suspension is one of those long-term 'learning curves', because to attain the ultimate setup for our own requirements takes heaps of trial and error.
Strider78rr and Strider78rr like this.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Established Member

Put a zip tie around the fork (shiny part) as you go through the suspension travel the zip tie will be pushed down the fork. If you see that the Zip tie is all the way at the bottom then you are using the whole fork travel and that is no good. If you turn in all or most of the preload the fork springs are too soft and need to be replaced. I'd say anything under 30% of max preload and you need new springs. 30% gives you a good cushion to work with.

Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjawed View Post
Post all your settings.

Preload:

Compression:

Rebound:

How do you know you are bottoming out? Is it bottoming on a single brake effort? Or, is it from just driving over bumps and the suspension never fully extends between bumps leading to it compressing rather than maintaining proper ride height(sag)? 195 pounds is not enough to be causing what we think is happening.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 11:20 PM

New Site Garage
Thanks but I was asking the OP in order to get clarification. I know about Dave Moss and the basics on preload and zip ties already.

I've never had to be good at suspension because most bikes that fit me are set up to my weight. I use the top 1/3 for sag, middle third is for normal riding and the bottom third doesn't get touched in terms of suspension travel. The front you can use a zip tie. Then what I do is stand and bounce while riding down the road. The front and back of the bike should move as one.

I also look at the tires for cold and hot tear and how the edges look. I get a sandy beach effect on the rubber which is the sweet spot.

Anyway, OP can you respond with your settings and how you know you are using up too much of the front travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider78rr View Post
Put a zip tie around the fork (shiny part) as you go through the suspension travel the zip tie will be pushed down the fork. If you see that the Zip tie is all the way at the bottom then you are using the whole fork travel and that is no good. If you turn in all or most of the preload the fork springs are too soft and need to be replaced. I'd say anything under 30% of max preload and you need new springs. 30% gives you a good cushion to work with.

Make sense?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

First, sorry about all the typos on the original post, I forgot to spell check.

In case it wasnít clear, I have a 2016 Turismo Veloce. I just bought it, it has 366 miles.

Front forks:
Preload: just a half turn from full clockwise. I think thatís almost all the preload, right?
Compression: Factory recommendation in owner manual
Rebound: Factory recommendation in owner manual

Rear shock:
Preload: ďSportĒ level at the first part of the arrow as indicated on the adjustment knob
Compression: Factory setting as recommended in owner manual
Rebound: I canít get to it, itís hidden behind a panel, I donít see how to get to it without removing multiple panels.

Iím 195 lbs.

Ted Porterís suspension shop isnít too far away, I will probably go there for setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode