High temp brake fluid - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

High temp brake fluid

I've been reading about the rear brake reservoir relocating to stop the oil boiling. Just wondering because I didnt come across it, but has anyone just tried a fluid change only, wilwood makes super high temp brake oil I think it's over 600 degrees. Also in combination with an all aluminum or steel reservoir I would imagine the plastic one flexing or expanding under the heat. Just wondering.

Last edited by Donsy; 02-07-2018 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Heading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 09:46 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by An7h0ny View Post
I've been reading about the rear brake reservoir relocating to stop the oil boiling. Just wondering because I didnt come across it, but has anyone just tried a fluid change only, wilwood makes super high temp brake oil I think it's over 600 degrees. Also in combination with an all aluminum or steel reservoir I would imagine the plastic one flexing or expanding under the heat. Just wondering.
Relocating the rear brake reservoir will not and does not stop the deterioration of the rear brake fluid, it will or could help it last a little longer, and will certainly on most MV's make is easier to bleed properly, and on some early triples it will stop the kink experienced in some tubes between reservoir and master-cylinder (m/c).

Overheating of the M/C and poor bleeding procedures cause premature rear brake failure (not including M/C failure of coarse), these are the two mian reasons for the rear brake going soft or gone altogetherr on our MV's and other bikes using the same system.

Using a higher grade fluid will help, but remember that more often than not, higher grade?temp fluids break down faster.
Servicing the upside down hanging caliper is a vital bit of info most guys leave out, especially when travelling in bad weather, those pistons seize up all the time.

People have this misconception that the reservoir is under pressure, it's not, and expansion and shrinking is mostly taken care of by the "rubber" seal inside the lid.
Completely bleeding the system every time you bleed it, removing the caliper and holding it in an position higher than the M/C during the process will get air bubbles out.

I've relocated many reservoirs on 1st Gen MV's, both F4 and Brutale, all just for ease of access since the reservoir is located under the fuel tank on those.
On my race bike, I ran without a reservoir for years, only a 100mm piece of tube, never had a problem, I now use a thumb brake in conjunction with the rear pedal, no problems as yet.

Hope this helps mate.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode