F3 Marzochi topping up fork oil the cheat way - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jdgun
  • 2 Post By dansoarr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

F3 Marzochi topping up fork oil the cheat way

Hi guys,

Is there any cheat way of topping up the fork oil on the F3 Marzochi forks without having to drop the forks?

I rebuilt them about 6 months ago (havent done a lot of riding since then), but I believe I got the fork oil level a little too low as they are a lot softer than before and so far that is the only variable since the rebuild.

Im thinking of taking off the front wheel, loosening the top fork cap and getting a couple of extra ml's in with a syringe.

I just really dont want to waste any more time stripping the whole front end of this bike as Im in prime riding season and time is precious right now.

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:59 AM

Should be no issue with loosening the top pinch bolts, and removing the caps and adding fluid..
PTsalas and PTsalas like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 02:26 PM

New Site Garage
Second the above! When you say rebuild, did you change anything else from stock? Fluid viscosity, spring rate? Did you top up to ws manual recommended level? Preload and rebound settings; whereabouts are you dialled in the preload range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan
Southern Norway
2014 flat-bar, naked F3-like thingy with mx-style rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljono View Post
Second the above! When you say rebuild, did you change anything else from stock? Fluid viscosity, spring rate? Did you top up to ws manual recommended level? Preload and rebound settings; whereabouts are you dialled in the preload range?

No changes except for oil level. The springs and viscosity remained the same. I used a fork oil level setting syringe, but may have been a few mm too low. I used the WS manual

Pre-load is set at the track setting as per the manual and was working well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:10 AM

New Site Garage
Okay, cool. Then if you have the means of tilting your bike to achieve vertical fork tubes without compressing them beyond installed preload length (I.e you canít just lift up the tail, as it will compress the fork) youíll be able to take accurate measurement and top up correctly.

Jonathan
Southern Norway
2014 flat-bar, naked F3-like thingy with mx-style rear
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:25 AM

For what its worth, when I rebuild forks, I refit into the bike and then undo the top nuts and allow the forks to slide down the sanctions.

I then use a syringe tube to take a measurement of my base oil setting when the forks are sitting down on thier sanctions springs etc all in.

Then during a race weekend I can reset to my baseline easily, and then I add or subtract xx ml from / to each fork leg. Based on tube diameter and approximation for springs etc, I pretty much know where I am mm wise.
PTsalas and PTsalas like this.

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Re-Mapped with ECU studio (F4 RC base ROM)
QS & Blipper now working with ECU studio and Durashift sensor

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750

Last edited by dansoarr; 12-30-2017 at 04:28 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoarr View Post
For what its worth, when I rebuild forks, I refit into the bike and then undo the top nuts and allow the forks to slide down the sanctions.

I then use a syringe tube to take a measurement of my base oil setting when the forks are sitting down on thier sanctions springs etc all in.

Then during a race weekend I can reset to my baseline easily, and then I add or subtract xx ml from / to each fork leg. Based on tube diameter and approximation for springs etc, I pretty much know where I am mm wise.
Good advice this!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode