Suspension Setup for a fat dude on 1090RR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Suspension Setup for a fat dude on 1090RR

Hi all,
Firstly my humble apology if I post too many questions about basically the same topic, namely suspension for my 2011 1090RR. I am in deep love with my bike but I am deeply troubled by the way the suspension works on rough road and also the way it exit corners....

Firstly, It is bone jarringly harsh, very very uncomfortable, throwing me off my seat and downright dangerous on rough road. I am also very afraid of speed bumps when I ride just slightly fast over it, one time the bike almost threw me off the bike entirely over a speed bump.

Secondly, I know I own an MV Agusta, made to lean on corners like there is no tomorrow. However, I have problem exiting corners on power, the bike tend to oversteer a bit right before it manages to exit a long sweeping corners which is once again dangerous. Entering a corner and staying on line is easy, problem is on the exit.

I have experience in tuning suspension for downhill mountain bike but apparently my experience does not pay much here with semi sport motobike for MTB downhill is all about bump and landing compliance and nothing else. I never cared too much about suspension tuning on all my previous motobike.

I am a self confessed fat arsed bloke at 95kg (209lbs) on my better days and 98kg (216lbs) on my worst days, height is 176 (5'8")

Here below is my setup;
Front:
- Preload 5 turn CW
- Rebound 19 turn CW
- Compression 26 turn CCW (Maxed out)
Rear:
- Rebound 18 turn CW
- Compression HS 0
- Compression LS 29 CCW (Maxed out)

Any setup suggestions to make the suspension at least reasonably comfortable and handles reasonably well?

I tried riding my friend's 1090 Corsa that comes with Ohlins fork from the factory and he replaced the rear with Ohlins TTX, in bone stock setup it was a dream to ride for me, I haven't tried the handling obviously because it's somebody else's bike but the comfort was off the chart.

Am I expecting too much from my stock suspension or I miss something crucial on the tuning aspect? Please advise.

I have my eyes on either Ohlins TTX rear with Ohlins FGRT front with custom tree or Bitubo front cartridge with Bitubo rear. But if I can setup my stock with guidance from this forum to perform reasonably well then I'd rather postpone the suspension upgrade for I also have another project for a Ducati Sport Classic or Ducati Paul Smart (still deciding on the two)

Many thanks in advance guys!!

Cheers

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

MY11 1090RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 AM

New Site Garage
That does not sound right at all. You are not that heavy either ...you dont need to spend $5k on posh suspension to make it feel "OK".

First thing to do is to set the static sag. If you cannot get the sag within range to start with then its time for different springs. I cannot believe the standard shock cannot cope with a 95kg man though

Lots of guides on how to setup sag:

Motorcycle Suspension: How-To Adjust Rider Sag

When you are happy that the pre-load is set correctly front and rear, then personally I would take a look in the workshop manual (available for download on this site) and reset all the other adjusters to the factory settings. Take it for a ride and see what it feels like.

For general spirited road use (not hard track riding) I dont think the factory settings are far off. In my experience (85kg) the sag was spot on from factory and I just added a little bit more damping...that was it....did it the first week I bought the bike and never touched it since !

cheers
bogie
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie View Post
That does not sound right at all. You are not that heavy either ...you dont need to spend $5k on posh suspension to make it feel "OK".

First thing to do is to set the static sag. If you cannot get the sag within range to start with then its time for different springs. I cannot believe the standard shock cannot cope with a 95kg man though

Lots of guides on how to setup sag:

Motorcycle Suspension: How-To Adjust Rider Sag

When you are happy that the pre-load is set correctly front and rear, then personally I would take a look in the workshop manual (available for download on this site) and reset all the other adjusters to the factory settings. Take it for a ride and see what it feels like.

For general spirited road use (not hard track riding) I dont think the factory settings are far off. In my experience (85kg) the sag was spot on from factory and I just added a little bit more damping...that was it....did it the first week I bought the bike and never touched it since !
Sweet to know I am not that fat 🤣🤣🤣....thanks so much for the pointers, I will give it another go, so far I've only followed the owner manual book that comes with the bike, but perhaps the book is the older non updated version because I do not see how to set standard preload on rear shock anywhere in the book. If it's not too much problem, would you point me to the said link for the suspension tuning? I am a bit confused searching for the said manual, all I could find was Donsy's link but there is no manual for B4 but I'll keep on looking.

Many thanks

D

MY11 1090RR

Last edited by uwiik; 07-25-2017 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Here is how to set REAR SAG:

Keep in mind you need the suspension tool shown to do this!!!!

Name:  B4 1090RR Suspension Setup 1.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  414.0 KB

Name:  B4 1090RR Suspension Setup 2.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  303.2 KB

Name:  B4 1090RR Suspension Setup 3.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  299.2 KB

Name:  B4 1090RR Suspension Setup 4.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  374.0 KB

Name:  B4 1090RR Suspension Setup 5.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  326.7 KB

Name:  B4 1090RR Suspension Setup 6.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  415.4 KB

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Keep in mind you need the suspension tool shown to do this!!!!

Attachment 394970

Attachment 394978

Attachment 394986

Attachment 394994

Attachment 395002

Attachment 395010
Chuck, thanks so much for the manual. You are a cool dude!! I never thought setting preload of the shock requires special tool. I'll call the local MV dealer tomorrow to ask if they have the tool and I'll just go there to setup mine according to the manual if they do.

MY11 1090RR
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
MV is a bit unique in their suspension setup. That tool is a couple hundred dollars, U.S. I have two of them (The second one was custom made by another forum member just for me!)

I do loan the tool out for members who have a need.

Gapalicious 2020 at
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
MV is a bit unique in their suspension setup. That tool is a couple hundred dollars, U.S. I have two of them (The second one was custom made by another forum member just for me!)

I do loan the tool out for members who have a need.
I wish I live in the same continent as you

MY11 1090RR
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 12:45 PM

New Site Garage
Scroll down on Donsy page here and you will find the manuals under "B" for Brutale ...you are looking under "F"

Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta

cheers
bogie
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie View Post
Scroll down on Donsy page here and you will find the manuals under "B" for Brutale ...you are looking under "F"

Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta
Ahhh, I always wondered why I couldn't find anything for Brutale. Thanks a lot!!

MY11 1090RR
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 05:47 AM

Did you get this sorted Uwiik? I am the same weight and height as you and am trying to lower my 1090RR. Handling is excellent as it is so I don't want to mess it up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode